Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ODB1 fault code 95- HELP please!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 08:19 AM
larrylass
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok Bill i did the eec test with #2 and #6 connected with a wire and the brown wire had power with the key on. I also did the eec test with one end of the wire in port #6 and end the other grounded the other to the frame-body and the brown wire has power. Both times the relay clicked. How do i check the ecm power pins? what color wires would they be? i dont have a pinout of the ECM for my 1988 f350 460 auto tranny 2 wd. i hope im not comng across as being impatient just frustrated. The other day we jumped the power from the battery to the wires at the switch going to the intank fuel pumps and It showed we had power to the fuel pump connector but when we put the light on the orange ground wire -Nothing. The black ground wire to the sending unit part of the pumps work though so i was thinking a bad ground from the intank pumps "orange wire" and also a NO power situation from the brown wire coming from the fuel pump relay to the switch. So im trying to solve the brown wire situation first, then the ground problem from the intank pumps second. After explaining this situation to you do you still think the ECM is bad?? i would hate to buy that and find out its not the problem. remember that every thing in the whole fuel system is new and has been replaced and i have multiple parts for checking

Thanks Again Bill

Thanks Bill

Old 07-07-2010, 08:42 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
If you can not pull codes from the computer and it does not pull the fuel pump relay in for one second it says the computer is not working or working right.

Now you need as I said above check to make sure the computer is getting power and good grounds on the proper pins.

/

Old 07-07-2010, 12:58 PM
larrylass
Senior User
Originally Posted by subford
It sounds more like a bad computer or a bad wire from the the EEC self-test plug to the computer.
IF you were jumping pin #2 to pin #6 of the EEC self-test plug then computer should have a good ground. If you were just grounding pin #6 of the EEC self-test plug someplace else then the computer could have a bad ground (computer pins #40 & 60).
You also need to check if the the computer has power with the key on (computer pins #1, 37 & 57).

The computer uses (grounds) the same wire from the self-test plug to the relay that you grounded so if it worked grounding pin #6 of the test plug then the relay and socket are OK.

Bill how do i check the eec test wire to the ECM. should this have 12v with the key on

Larry

Old 07-07-2010, 01:00 PM
larrylass
Senior User
If you can not pull codes from the computer and it does not pull the fuel pump relay in for one second it says the computer is not working or working right.

Now you need as I said above check to make sure the computer is getting power and good grounds on the proper pins.

/
I am able to pull codes (95) and the relay clicks for 1 second. Now what??

larry

Old 07-07-2010, 01:08 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
If the PIP sensor is not working you will not have spark.
Do you have spark at the spark plugs while it is cranking?
If not the computer may not be receiving the PIP pulse from the Distributor.
No PIP pulse to the computer then the computer will not turn on the fuel pumps or fire (ground) the injectors.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:16 PM
larrylass
Senior User
If the PIP sensor is not working you will not have spark.
Do you have spark at the spark plugs while it is cranking?
If not the computer may not be receiving the PIP pulse from the Distributor.
No PIP pulse to the computer then the computer will not turn on the fuel pumps or fire (ground) the injectors.
Would this cause a no power situation at the brown wire coming out of the fuel pump relay? Bill the distributer is brand new along with the TFI module

Larry

Old 07-07-2010, 04:14 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Yes it would as the fuel pump relay will not come back in after the one second time out.
Are the injectors firing while it is cranking?
You can test them with a noid light that you can rent from an auto parts store.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:18 PM
larrylass
Senior User
Yes it would as the fuel pump relay will not come back in after the one second time out.
Are the injectors firing while it is cranking?
You can test them with a noid light that you can rent from an auto parts store.
bill your not going to believe this. i tested pin #s 1- 37- 57 and all was good. I removed the #1 sparkplug and at first i didnt have spark and then i did!! Now i have 40 lbs of fuel pressure ????? i know it will start now but i have a dead battery-Figures- so when it charges ill try and start it and see what happens. i think its that PIP signal or a bad ECM ground. If the ecm was going south would it vary the pip signal from signal to no signal?? Could this be a sign of a bad ECM??

Thanks again buddy because of all your suggestions this might be figured out

Larry

Old 07-07-2010, 06:07 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
It can but when it does you will not have any spark.
To test unplug the ECM and if spark returns while cranking then the ECM is bad.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:15 PM
larrylass
Senior User
It can but when it does you will not have any spark.
To test unplug the ECM and if spark returns while cranking then the ECM is bad.

bill im hoping its the ECM ground. On my truck the 2 green wires w/ the black stripe go into a connector then into the neg post of the battery. Im going to cut the connector out and solder the wires together and then attach them to the neg post of the battery. Ill also add a ground from the neg terminal to the body also. Im keeping my fingers crossed

Larry

Old 07-07-2010, 09:34 PM
larrylass
Senior User
ITS FIXED!!!!!! and a big shout out to you Bill for all your help. People check those grounds especially on EFI vehicles!!!!!!!! Hopefully it stays this way Bill, I know you do )

BigLar

Old 07-08-2010, 06:24 PM
larrylass
Senior User
Well F--- im back!!! as i was driving the truck the same symptoms happened within 0ne block. Im giving it gas and no power -no fuel pressure- spark- i havent checked yet but i know thats south too. When i thought it was fixed i was starting it up at least 25 times and i let it idle for 5-10 minutes several times - No problems!!! as soon as a load is put on the motor these symptoms come right back. What do you think Bill ECM ???. I just cant for the life of me figure out what this problem is. I just dont understand why the ECM is seeing the PIP count when it idles but not under a load. This same symptom has happened with 2 distributors and 3 tfi modules so i doubt its that. Please help i need this truck running soon. I have checked and double checked and triple checked my grounds

BigLar

Old 07-08-2010, 10:34 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
This type problem has turned out to be wiring from the Distributor to the ECM a few times.
You just have to unwrap it and check it.
Also make sure the wiring under both the EEC Power Relay and the Fuel pump relay is good.
It does not sound like a bad ECM but it could be.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:30 AM
larrylass
Senior User
Bill could this be the signs of a bad coil??

Larry

Old 07-09-2010, 05:52 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
If you have spark and no power I would check the TPS.
The coil can give loss of power also but you would still have fuel pressure.

You need to know for sure if you have spark.
I think you may still have ground issues.

Quick Reply: ODB1 fault code 95- HELP please!!