Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ODB1 fault code 95- HELP please!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:42 AM
larrylass
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its ok Bill youve been a huge help so far!! There is a relay in the corner of the firewall and fenderwall with the wires colered
Brown
black/white stripe
black
red/white stripe

on the two relays next to each other by the EEC test port:
relay #1
Brown
yellow
red
tan/green stripe

relay #2
Black/yellow stripe
black
white/blue stripe
blue

Would you be able to name these relays for me bill and what they do??

Thanks

larry

Old 07-06-2010, 10:12 AM
larrylass
Senior User
Originally Posted by subford
You may have to get a test light (meters do not work well in this circuit) and trace to where you are losing power.
Make sure the small black wire with a green stripe leaving the NEG post of the battery is well grounded to the NEG post.
Make sure the body (not the frame) also has a good ground from the NEG post of the battery to body with a 10 GA wire.
Make sure the fuel pumps ground at the radiator support is OK.

If all of this is OK and you still have problems start at the battery side of the starter relay on the fender and try to pull the fuse links apart by hand. If one of them stretches it is bad.
Then check the wiring under the fuel pump and ECC Power relays. It is a common problem on an 88 to have bad wiring here and you may have to replace the relay sockets.

Then check the big yellow wire at the fuel pump relay for power, it should be hot at all times.
Unplug the high pressure pump on the frame as we do not want it running without cooling fuel going through it.
If all OK above at this point jumper pin #2 to pin #6 of the EEC self-test plug and turn on the key.
Both relays should click to their make (picked) state.
Check for power leaving the fuel pump relay (brown wire).
Next check the power entering and leaving the Inertia switch (brown wire in and pink wire with a black stripe leaving).
If OK go on to the Selector switch and check for power going in the switch and the selected wire leaving the switch (see diagram below for wire colors).
If the power is still OK and the selected pump is not running unplug the plug on top of the tank and see if you have power on the pump power wire.
If not start back tracking towards the firewall (safety wall) plug.
If you have power at the plug then ground your test light with the plug and check for power again at the pump power wire. If the test light lights change the in tank pump.

/
bill where is the firewall/safetywall plug?? is this the plug you want me to test ground with to see if the intank pump needs to be changed??

Old 07-06-2010, 11:27 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by larrylass
its ok Bill youve been a huge help so far!! There is a relay in the corner of the firewall and fenderwall with the wires colered
Brown
black/white stripe
black
red/white stripe

on the two relays next to each other by the EEC test port:
relay #1
Brown
yellow
red
tan/green stripe

relay #2
Black/yellow stripe
black
white/blue stripe
blue

Would you be able to name these relays for me bill and what they do??

Thanks

larry
Relay #1 is the Fuel Pump Relay.
Relay #2 is the EEC Power relay.

I have no idea on the other one right now.

Come to think of it you do not have a firewall/safetywall plug on a 1988.
1989 and all newer trucks have a plug for the main harness where it passes from the cab to the engine compartment.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:54 PM
larrylass
Senior User
Relay #1 is the Fuel Pump Relay.
Relay #2 is the EEC Power relay.

I have no idea on the other one right now.

Come to think of it you do not have a firewall/safetywall plug on a 1988.
1989 and all newer trucks have a plug for the main harness where it passes from the cab to the engine compartment.
thanks Bill

its 100 degrees here today in NJ!! aint electrical problems fun )

larry

Old 07-06-2010, 03:34 PM
larrylass
Senior User
You may have to get a test light (meters do not work well in this circuit) and trace to where you are losing power.
Make sure the small black wire with a green stripe leaving the NEG post of the battery is well grounded to the NEG post.
Make sure the body (not the frame) also has a good ground from the NEG post of the battery to body with a 10 GA wire.
Make sure the fuel pumps ground at the radiator support is OK.

If all of this is OK and you still have problems start at the battery side of the starter relay on the fender and try to pull the fuse links apart by hand. If one of them stretches it is bad.
Then check the wiring under the fuel pump and ECC Power relays. It is a common problem on an 88 to have bad wiring here and you may have to replace the relay sockets.

Then check the big yellow wire at the fuel pump relay for power, it should be hot at all times.
Unplug the high pressure pump on the frame as we do not want it running without cooling fuel going through it.
If all OK above at this point jumper pin #2 to pin #6 of the EEC self-test plug and turn on the key.
Both relays should click to their make (picked) state.
Check for power leaving the fuel pump relay (brown wire).
Next check the power entering and leaving the Inertia switch (brown wire in and pink wire with a black stripe leaving).
If OK go on to the Selector switch and check for power going in the switch and the selected wire leaving the switch (see diagram below for wire colors).
If the power is still OK and the selected pump is not running unplug the plug on top of the tank and see if you have power on the pump power wire.
If not start back tracking towards the firewall (safety wall) plug.
If you have power at the plug then ground your test light with the plug and check for power again at the pump power wire. If the test light lights change the in tank pump.

/
Bill there is no 10 ga wire ground nor was there ever a ground from the neg battery to the body. The body grounds at a bolt on the intake manifold. I dont see any nor are there any grounds at the radiator support. to ground the fuel pumps the ground is at the back of the frame rail. Any suggestions??

Larry

Old 07-06-2010, 04:41 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
I guess the 89 also started grounding the fuel system at the radiator support and all I can find on a 88 is the fuel pumps ground to the engine block.
There is a small black wire with a green stripe leaving the NEG post of the battery as this is the computer ground.
If you do not have this one it will not run.
It would not hurt to run a 10GA wire from the NEG post to the body as the more grounds you have the better.

By the way I see in the manual that there was a plug at the firewall from the engine compartment to the cab on a 88.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:12 PM
larrylass
Senior User
I guess the 89 also started grounding the fuel system at the radiator support and all I can find on a 88 is the fuel pumps ground to the engine block.
There is a small black wire with a green stripe leaving the NEG post of the battery as this is the computer ground.
If you do not have this one it will not run.
It would not hurt to run a 10GA wire from the NEG post to the body as the more grounds you have the better.

By the way I see in the manual that there was a plug at the firewall from the engine compartment to the cab on a 88.
Does this plug have a ton of wires connected to it? Also i did the test on the yellow wire coming in to the fuel pump relay and i have power-Hot all the time. when i did the test on the brown wire on the fuel pump relay there was no power. I connected the yellow and brown wire together with a jumper wire and then tested the brown wire and i had power. Should i buy a new fuel pump relay socket. I tested the relay with 3 different relays i have.

Thanks bill

Larry

Old 07-06-2010, 10:56 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Jump pin #2 to pin #6 of the EEC Self-Test plug and turn on the key.
Does the fuel pump relay click and the brown wire have power when you do this?
Does the fuel pump(s) run when you do this?

/

Old 07-07-2010, 06:00 AM
larrylass
Senior User
Jump pin #2 to pin #6 of the EEC Self-Test plug and turn on the key.
Does the fuel pump relay click and the brown wire have power when you do this?
Does the fuel pump(s) run when you do this?

/
Yes i have power to the brown wire when doing the EEC test and the relay clicks and the hipressure pump only runs. The relay clicks and the hi pressure pump runs when not doing the eec test but then I have NO Power to the brown wire

Larry

Old 07-07-2010, 06:58 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
I think we already covered this before but unplug the high pressure pump and do the EEC self-test jump as above and check for power at the selector switch as in the diagram.
If you do not having power there leaving the switch with your test light and you have power to it the switch is bad.

If you have power leaving check for power at the plugs on top of the selected fuel tank.
If you have power at the plugs on top of the selected fuel tank then you have a bad pump (s) or a bad ground.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:03 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Here is a pin out of the selector switch.

/

Old 07-07-2010, 07:06 AM
larrylass
Senior User
If you have power leaving check for power at the plugs on top of the selected fuel tank.
If you have power at the plugs on top of the selected fuel tank then you have a bad pump (s) or a bad ground. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

What??? this makes no sense Bill!!!

larry

Old 07-07-2010, 07:12 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by larrylass
If you have power at the plugs on top of the selected fuel tank then you have a bad pump (s) or a bad ground. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

What??? this makes no sense Bill!!!

larry
If you have power leaving the selector switch going to the wire for the selected fuel tank then check for power at the plug on top of the selected fuel tank. If you have no power at the plug on top of the fuel tank then you have a bad pump or a bad ground.

I do not know how else to say this.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:37 AM
larrylass
Senior User
If you have power leaving the selector switch going to the wire for the selected fuel tank then check for power at the plug on top of the selected fuel tank. If you have no power at the plug on top of the fuel tank then you have a bad pump or a bad ground.

I do not know how else to say this.
That makes sense now!! read how you posted before. My concern is the NO POWER situation to the brown wire leaving the fuel pump relay with the Key ON-Not when im running the eec test!!!! I know i have power to the intank pumps but no power to the ground so it could be either a bad pumps or bad ground "Orange Wire" the black ground wire completes the loop and works because the fuel tank empty or full gauges work.. I just find it very odd that BOTH intank pumps dont work at all when they are brand new. Right now though i want to solve the power circuit to the switch and so back to the BROWN wire leaving the fuel pump relay,My question again is since i have a NO POWER situation to the brown wire leaving the fuel pump relay with the key on and NO EEC TEST but do have power with the EEC TEST what would be the solution _ A new fuel pump relay socket????

Larry

Old 07-07-2010, 07:48 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
It sounds more like a bad computer or a bad wire from the the EEC self-test plug to the computer.
IF you were jumping pin #2 to pin #6 of the EEC self-test plug then computer should have a good ground. If you were just grounding pin #6 of the EEC self-test plug someplace else then the computer could have a bad ground (computer pins #40 & 60).
You also need to check if the the computer has power with the key on (computer pins #1, 37 & 57).

The computer uses (grounds) the same wire from the self-test plug to the relay that you grounded so if it worked grounding pin #6 of the test plug then the relay and socket are OK.

Quick Reply: ODB1 fault code 95- HELP please!!