1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Broomfieldbum
Laughing Gas

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wiring

Okay guys, I guess I just don't get this, so here we go.

I bought the Ez-wire kit for my truck so that I would have every wire marked every 6 inches. I got most of it, but now I am stuck on 2 things. Headlights, and brake lights.

Brake lights. I have the wires hooked to the brake switch, and when I apply the brakes I get power through the switch, but where do I hook the wire?

I have all of the turn signals working, and I don't get how the signals issolate so that the brakes will not screw up how the blinkers work.

Headlights. I bought the wiring diagram for the truck, but I can't see where to hook the Dash lights, or the dome light. I actually figured out the rest using a continuity tester. I even found a recommended jumper if I wanted the front park lights to remain lit when the headlights are on like new cars. I don't know I will do that yet.

If anyone has a better guide please let me know. I am so close to getting this truck on the road, and yet so far.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:23 AM
sixtyfive_ford
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should have the cluster of wires coming out of the steering column. The turn signal actuator isolates the brakes from the signals.

The wire that gets power when the brakes are applied hooks to the "RED-black stripe" Wire going into the column

The Headlights: Do you have the stock light switch? Power goes into the light switch and then is dispersed to the foot dimmer switch. From the dimmer switch power is switched from one circut(high beam) to the other(low beam).

Here are what the orig colors wires went from the LIGHT SWITCH:

RED: Power coming into light switch
Black-blue: DOME +
Red-black: Foot Dimmer switch +
Blue-red: instrument lights +
Black-yellow: front parking lights +
Brown: rear parking lights +

Old 06-30-2010, 07:57 AM
Broomfieldbum
Laughing Gas

This would be great info if the original wiring hadn't been burned out by the previous owner. so the colors don't really tell me anything.

I have a stock switch, and I would describe the poles as a row of 3 blades, a row of 2 blades, and then a row of 3 blades. The first blade in the top and bottom rows are power in. First blade in the middle row is front park, and second is back park. The last blade on the bottom is headlight dimmer power, and the middle I think should be dome light. That leaves the top 2 blades on the right. I don't see any change in the continuity in these poles no matter what the switch pull or turn position is.

The wires are intact from the turn signal switch, and so that was helpful thanks.

Originally Posted by sixtyfive_ford
You should have the cluster of wires coming out of the steering column. The turn signal actuator isolates the brakes from the signals.

The wire that gets power when the brakes are applied hooks to the "RED-black stripe" Wire going into the column

The Headlights: Do you have the stock light switch? Power goes into the light switch and then is dispersed to the foot dimmer switch. From the dimmer switch power is switched from one circut(high beam) to the other(low beam).

Here are what the orig colors wires went from the LIGHT SWITCH:

RED: Power coming into light switch
Black-blue: DOME +
Red-black: Foot Dimmer switch +
Blue-red: instrument lights +
Black-yellow: front parking lights +
Brown: rear parking lights +

Last edited by Broomfieldbum; 06-30-2010 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention the turn signal info was helpful
Old 06-30-2010, 10:52 AM
airharley
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1964 F100 - F750 Wiring Diagrams - The Old Car Manual Project
I know it is a 64 but the turn signal switch has the best picture of how it works.

http://www.fordification.com/tech/wi...xtlights02.jpg is of the 67 but it also applies to the 66.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:16 PM
OldHarley
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, I have always wondered...

If you are in a '61-'66 F100 traveling at light speed,...

...and you turn on the headlights...

...does anything happen??!?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:26 PM
Broomfieldbum
Laughing Gas

Harley, I don't know what you have in your truck, but mine is a 240 6 holer. I am a bit slower than light speed.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:40 PM
kstones63
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldHarley
You know, I have always wondered...

If you are in a '61-'66 F100 traveling at light speed,...

...and you turn on the headlights...

...does anything happen??!?
Interesting question. Some rocket scientist will probably come along and answer that question for us.

Kevin

Old 07-01-2010, 01:36 AM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kstones63
Interesting question. Some rocket scientist will probably come along and answer that question for us.

Kevin
I am no rocket scientist but many years ago i could see my own headlights in the rear view mirror after some pharmaceutical enhancement........And i did sleep at a American extended stay last weekend!

So the answer is yes you can.

Old Harley must have been watchin the American Pickers tonight and fell and hit his noggin when the showed the stash of old NOS HOG parts...

Garbz