2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

duplicate keys

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:14 AM
jjoyce11
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shotgunz
In order to use the truck to create a new PATS key, you must have two unique PATS keys.

It's not necessary to have two unique keys...until you loose one. Then you get to pay the dealer (or Ace) for either a new unique PATS key or a duplicated one.

Once you have two, you can make up to eight (IIRC) keys.

IMHO, bite the bullet, get two unique keys, and make at least one more (preferably two). Store them in a safe place. If you loose one, you can make another for $12-15.

Oh and and when you make another key, you also erase the lost key from the PATS system. The person with your lost key can open the door, but the truck will not start.
thanks for the information! Ill go ahead and have the dealer make me another one!

Old 01-26-2011, 06:43 PM
Brack1
Junior User
For what it's worth. I bought 3 $12 keys and 3 $15 remotes off of Amazon. Took them to Walmart, guy cut them for free. I programmed the remotes myself, but since I only have one key, I'll have to have the dealer reflash my ECM for $100 to get the 3 keys to work. I would have been pissed, but I think my 2005 has the original not so good program, so I'm ok with spending $100 for keys and a better tune. Had I had two keys to begin with, I would have been able to do it for way cheaper than any dealer or hardware store. Just look online and you can come out way ahead.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:50 PM
thechief66
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
You could always get a regular steel key made for it, and just tape the PATS key to the column under the dash. Of course, your anti theft system won't work anymore...

Old 01-26-2011, 07:29 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was under the impression the key itself was not programmable, Is the Ace key being programmable something new? The original intent of the PATS keys being unique was so that they couldn't be duplicated, being read only. Is this not the case anymore? I also suspect that id you have an Ace key that is a duplicate (programming wise) that the PATS system will think you inserted the same key twice and refuse to program? Some confusion here.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:52 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
again, any questions you have about the PATS system can be answered here.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...pats-info.html

Originally Posted by alchymist
I was under the impression the key itself was not programmable, Is the Ace key being programmable something new? The original intent of the PATS keys being unique was so that they couldn't be duplicated, being read only. Is this not the case anymore? I also suspect that id you have an Ace key that is a duplicate (programming wise) that the PATS system will think you inserted the same key twice and refuse to program? Some confusion here.
each PATS key has a UNIQUE RFID chip inside it. No 2 PATS keys are alike.

When you enter the programming mode, you are resetting the PCM. At this point it wipes the programmed PATS RFID codes and replaces them with the "new" ones

at no point is hte key programmed. merely the coding of the PCM

Old 01-27-2011, 06:33 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I missed your linked thread Tylus when I posted above.
It's better than the one I linked to.
Once again your post is clear and informative.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:14 AM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Originally Posted by tylus
again, any questions you have about the PATS system can be answered here.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...pats-info.html

each PATS key has a UNIQUE RFID chip inside it. No 2 PATS keys are alike.

When you enter the programming mode, you are resetting the PCM. At this point it wipes the programmed PATS RFID codes and replaces them with the "new" ones

at no point is hte key programmed. merely the coding of the PCM
As always, someone comes along with a better mousetrap. Looks like a revision to your writeup is in order. I too thought the keys were not programmable. Looks like it's no longer true. Too bad, because before, there was security in that you had to have two original keys and the vehicle to add a third key, or a dealer trip. Now you need only one key. Opens the door to someone who has momentary access to a vehicle to clone a key without the owner knowing it.

Rocky's Ace Hardware | Digital Auto Key Duplication...-

If you need a new key with programming look here - Nissan Titan Forum

I-Tool Programming

Old 06-25-2011, 01:46 PM
DV8R808
New User
FORD F150 Duplicate Keys in Hawaii

In Hawaii there's a monopoly for Ford Parts and Certified Mecahincal work. Duplicate keys however will cost significant money. I bought my current F150 King Ranch from Texas and it only came with 1 key, so I was forced to go to the dealer. Cutter Ford (1 of 3 Ford Dealers in Hawaii) is charging me $190.00 for 2 keys. $30. per key, and $120. for the programming, plus you have to drop the truck off and wait 2 hours. The programming only takes :5 mins, but to justify the rediculous $120. + tax for a programming charge, they use this practice. If your lucky to have 2 original or programmed keys, then you can follow the directions in your operators manual and program the keys yourself, which would cost you only $30. per key.
*** After picking up my Truck, now the aftermarket Remote Start doesnt work. I sternly explained that after paying nearly $200. for 2 Dup. keys, my remote starter better be fixed or paid for if my venodr charges me to repair it. Noell was nice enough to notate the issue and I'll come back to her with the result. To be continued.....

Old 07-24-2013, 08:58 PM
Murf_2002_F150
Freshman User
Question

Originally Posted by shotgunz
You can get PATS keys on eBay and other online sources.

The problem is without 2 different PATS keys, you cannot program an additional key. You'll have to go to the dealer to get the second PATS key programmed. After that, you can make up to 8 (IIRC) PATS keys.
Do both of the keys have to fit in the ignition? In other words, I only have one key - I go to a junk yard and get another "chipped" Ford truck key. So now I would have 2 chipped keys in proximity to the steering column - so could I then buy a 3rd blank key on ebay and program it with the 2 key method?

thanks,

Old 07-24-2013, 09:22 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Originally Posted by Murf_2002_F150
Do both of the keys have to fit in the ignition? In other words, I only have one key - I go to a junk yard and get another "chipped" Ford truck key. So now I would have 2 chipped keys in proximity to the steering column - so could I then buy a 3rd blank key on ebay and program it with the 2 key method?

thanks,
I believe that the two keys to start with both have to be already programmed to the vehicle. This basically tells the program that you are the owner, or at least you have two valid keys to the vehicle.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:46 PM
FireMe
Elder User
Originally Posted by Murf_2002_F150

thanks,

The system only recognizes one key at a time, even if multiple keys are present. As a matter of fact, having multiple keys in proximity to the ignition cylinder can occasionally make the system crash and not recognize any of the keys.

Also, just having the key "in proximity to the steering column" isn't enough. The transceiver antenna is located around the ignition lock cylinder, next to the key slot. The key has to be not only next to the antenna but also properly oriented. In other words, you need to have the key in the slot for programming to occur.

*EDIT - See post below* In addition, you not only need two programmed keys to program additional keys, but those keys have to be the "master" keys. Master keys are the first two keys that are programmed to the system, whether it is the initial programming at the factory or programming that occurs at the dealership after the key codes are erased. So if you have four keys for your vehicle, only two of those keys can be used to program a fifth key, and hopefully you know which two of those were programmed first.

Last edited by FireMe; 07-25-2013 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Corrected info!
Old 07-25-2013, 08:02 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If you have two programed keys you can add additional keys up to a total of 8.
ANY TWO of the previously programed keys can be used to add an additional key.
Read section 3 of this post!
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - PATS Thread - Program Your Own Keys & Other Useful PATS Info

There is NO SUCH THING AS A MASTER KEY.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:16 PM
FireMe
Elder User
Well, after several phone calls to people I haven't talked to in quite a while, it turns out that I am partially wrong about the information in my last post regarding the master key procedure. The master key provision was provided on certain vehicles that were assumed to be likely used in fleet or rental programs, and was not an across-the-board feature.

Apparently, the master key feature was provided to prevent fleet driver's from getting together and programming their own keys for company vehicles. Owners/managers can keep one or both master keys out of the pool, improving security.

This feature was deleted (an embarrassingly long time ago) and I was still operating off of the old info.

I know you can still pull up the "master key" PID using IDS, at least as of a month or two ago.

I apologize for the confusing misinformation.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:36 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by FireMe
I apologize for the confusing misinformation.
Reps for this post, brother.

Stewart

Old 07-27-2013, 03:43 AM
djm1204
Elder User
Originally Posted by shorebird
If you have two programed keys you can add additional keys up to a total of 8.
ANY TWO of the previously programed keys can be used to add an additional key.
Read section 3 of this post!
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - PATS Thread - Program Your Own Keys & Other Useful PATS Info

There is NO SUCH THING AS A MASTER KEY.
While there is no such thing as a MASTER KEY with regards to programing additional keys to work the ignition &/or the keyless entry. The information above is 100% correct any two(2) properly programmed keys can be used to program additional keys.

However, there is in fact what Ford refers to as a ADMINISTRATOR KEY or keys in an option they refer to as "MyKey" page 130 of the 2012 Super Duty Owners Guide.

This feature allows the holder of the Administrator Key (s) to program restrictions on the vehicle - such as the vehicle cannot be operated at speeds over 80 MPH and The Advance Trac System cannot be turned off, the volume of the stereo system can be limited to 45% of it's capability.

Additionally, with the Administrator Key(s) the administrator can track the mileage driven while each of up to seven user keys are used to operate the vehicle.

Dan

Quick Reply: duplicate keys