1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

More Wheel, Rim, backspace, wheel adapter questoins.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 05:02 PM
superman64011
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More Wheel, Rim, backspace, wheel adapter questoins.

Everyone,

Got some simple questions that many of you are knowledgeable about and me, Im a Rock.

I got the 3" Wider Fiberglass Fenders in the Rear from Mid Fifty. I also have a old 9 end from a 70's Ford that has 5 x 5.5 bolt pattern. Also got a set of AR Torque Thrust II's on the front 15X7 I believe(been so long and of course I cant find all my receipts over the years) Ha.

Anyway. I need some help on the Back Rim and Tire size, I did some searching and didnt see questions Im looking for(oh they are probably there but Im not smart enough to understand) Mid Fifty states that wheel clearance is 13 1/2 ". I was going to get a set of wheel adapters because I hate the idea of carrying two spares around if I break down, so that adds about 1.5 inches on the back. Easier to buy the wheel adapters so I can have them both 5 X 4.5.

Can someone throw some info out this way and kinda tell me what I need, so I got a better idea of what to get??? Ill probably stay with a 15 inch rim, but I would like to go pretty wide. Maybe 16s. Heck I dont know.

Also, is there something on my American Racing Torque Thrust II to know what series they are? Im pretty sure they are the Chrome 15X7s.

Appreciate all the help and I hope you alls summer is going great!

Thanks,

Patrick

Old 06-26-2010, 09:59 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
OK, last question first. On the back side of the rim, you should be able to find the wheel size cast right into the aluminum. Every aftermarket rim I've ever seen has that included in their markings.

Regarding the two spare tire issue, are you planning to use the same size tire, front and back? If not, then you'll still need two different tire and wheel setups, so the wheel bolt pattern being the same is a moot point. The tires don't need to be the same width, but they do have to be the same height, or darn close to it.

To me, wheel spacers is a last resort kind of thing. It's just one more thing that can go wrong in an area you can't afford to have any failures. It may cost a little more than a $5 aluminum disc, but my preference would be for special, matching axle shafts, if I felt the need to have my bolt patterns match. Either that or opt for a big bolt pattern front disc conversion.

Now the rear wheel issue. You first need to decide what you want to run as far as a tire and wheel width combination. Then you'll need to get out your tape measure and figure out where you want the wheel to sit inside the wheel house and measure your back spacing accordingly, or the difference between where the drum face is in relation to the inside and outside of where you want the wheel to be. It's not rocket science, but it will require a small amount of forethought and study.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:51 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Not sure on the backspacing, but you should be able to find a set for your back wheels that has a bit more so you don't need adapters or spacers (if I read right you only have the front wheels, thus needing the rears anyways)

I view spacers as a last resort too, something about them I just don't trust. They make ones where you use the axle lug nuts to put on, and they have their own lug nuts attached for the wheels. Those are the ones you want, not just a spacer and the same lug nuts. They'll be more solid and they make these to convert bolt patterns so you could get a set to match your front wheels easier.

Keep in mind if you only want to have one spare tire you'll need to have the wheels the same. Width does effect the height of the wheel. I've personally never needed a spare tire, but I'm sure it's one of those things that is always a plus to have. (course on my truck that adds like 70lbs... and where to put it? lol)