1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

HEI distributor ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 02:17 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tardster
So far all I can see is 2 wires that come out from under the cap and they go up to the top of the cap by the coil and plug in. I dont see anywhere I can hook up the 12 volt wire. Am I missing something here?
YES, the installation instrictions that should have come with the distributor. If you don't have them, go online to the manufacturers web site and they should have them or a number to call to get them.

MSD Drop and Drive electronic distributors use a stock 12 volt coil btw. This is a different variety. There's a few of them that need a standard coil - right Sam?

Name:  8595_full.jpg
Views: 2195
Size:  10.6 KB

Old 06-26-2010, 02:24 AM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
YES, the installation instrictions that should have come with the distributor. If you don't have them, go online to the manufacturers web site and they should have them or a number to call to get them.

MSD Drop and Drive electronic distributors use a stock 12 volt coil btw. This is a different variety.
I will double check to see if the directions might have fallen out of the box in the morning. I did go to summit and tried to find the instructions but I couldnt find them. If I cant find them I will take a picture of the dist (where the tabs are to hook the wires up at) and hopefully you guys will be able to guide me on the right path. I guess if I hook the wire up to the wrong side the truck wont start but I dont know if it will damage anything if I hook it up wrong.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:53 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tardster
I will double check to see if the directions might have fallen out of the box in the morning. I did go to summit and tried to find the instructions but I couldnt find them. If I cant find them I will take a picture of the dist (where the tabs are to hook the wires up at) and hopefully you guys will be able to guide me on the right path. I guess if I hook the wire up to the wrong side the truck wont start but I dont know if it will damage anything if I hook it up wrong.
They may not tell you. Most of th eones I read tell yo to just hook up the wire to the ignition wire that used to go to the coil - no colors. Try these:

http://www.proformparts.com/PDF/Chev...structions.pdf

I looked at 20 web sies with installation instructions and all these guys are bloviating about this lubricant and oil pump shaft etc etc. - and that for pages, but not one says at the end to "hook the "XXX" colored wire up to the ignition lead from the ignition switch."

If the two leads are red and green, the red one gets the power and the green one is for the tach. Red and black - not sure.

Someone here has to have one of these things installed and knows.

Edit note: Take a look at the cap and see if it is labled "Batt" and "Tach" where the wires come out. If it is then the wire under "Batt" is the one that takes the power in from your ignition switch. Also, check to see if the wires there are plugged into "terminals" on the unit or if they just "come out" from under the cap - have you taken the cap off at all and looked?

Old 06-26-2010, 03:08 AM
tardster
Elder User
Yea I've been looking all over myself, I didnt know if instructions for a chevy would work or not. I'm still kind of holding out that maybe the instructions are on the floor in the garage...lol

Old 06-26-2010, 03:14 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Check my edit note in the post above.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:17 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
the cap should be marked somehow on the place where it hooks up . they are in the oe case . ran these dizzy's for years in dirt cars with no problems . i can't really remember , but i want to say the lead closest to the front { if its in the oe chevy /gm spot in back of the motor } is the power for the distributor . been a long while since i've played with one . the only reason why i didn't cut down one of these for the flatty is it wouldn't clear the 8ba heads . they are dain near trouble free !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-26-2010, 06:52 AM
tardster
Elder User
Ok I took a pic of the dist cap, I do have 2 tabs where I can connect a 12 volt wire to but I don't know which one it connects to. I looked all around that area to see if it was marked but there isn't any marks to say which is the hot wire in. So now all I have to do is figure that out and I'm good to go...

Name:  distcap.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  38.3 KB

Old 06-26-2010, 08:20 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, do you have a plug for that? I'm guessing that's where you need to start.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:48 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
hey tard there's a late 70's early 80's black camaro i see running around auburn and was for sale , go find it open the hood and snipe the plug ..... i'm sure he won't notice it ........LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-26-2010, 08:50 AM
tardster
Elder User
Originally Posted by carnut122
So, do you have a plug for that? I'm guessing that's where you need to start.
I have the 3 prong plug that comes up from the lower part of the dist, the 2 prongs didn't come with a plug and from what I'm understanding is 1 of them is for the ignition hot wire and the other is for the tach. I just have to find out which prong is which between the 2 of them.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:51 AM
tardster
Elder User
Originally Posted by 55 f350
hey tard there's a late 70's early 80's black camaro i see running around auburn and was for sale , go find it open the hood and snipe the plug ..... i'm sure he won't notice it ........LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LMAO.. Nah he wont never know its gone huh....lol

Old 06-26-2010, 09:02 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
its a ch83y they never run long enough for the owners to figure 'em out ......... see ya down that way in a bit heading out for my express run that passes through there !!!!!!! { run and hide while you still have the chance now !!!!!!!!!!!! }

Old 06-26-2010, 09:12 AM
tardster
Elder User
no worries there its bedtime for me... ill be dead to the world in about 15 minutes...lol

Old 06-26-2010, 09:26 AM
low54
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1

MSD Drop and Drive electronic distributors use a stock 12 volt coil btw. This is a different variety. There's a few of them that need a standard coil - right Sam?

Attachment 25165
Don't mean to hijack...But Julie, I want that MSD for my 272 Y block, already got the flamethower coil...and the electronic points to put in cause I couldn't afford the MSD...But boy they are spendy!!!

Old 06-26-2010, 10:02 AM
polarspeed
Senior User
Hello, I just got one of these at Kragen, but you can get it at Summit as well.
ACCEL 170072 - ACCEL HEI Power Pigtails - Overview - SummitRacing.com
There is a mark on the connector that slides into the groove in the cap to register the pwr and tach connectors. I think it was about $5 at Kragen. Steve

Quick Reply: HEI distributor ?