Sponsored by: Moser

Any reason not to go with X-plan?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 01:49 PM
jaitken
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any reason not to go with X-plan?

I'm seriously considering trading in my 2000 F250SD for a 2010 F150 Screw. Too many maintenance issues of late and, well, I'm just getting that new truck itch. Not to mention I'm getting tired of feeding the V10.

I just realized that I'm eligible for X-plan through my employer. Is there any reason to waste time haggling on my own or looking at Costco/AAA/etc? Or is the X-plan pretty much the best deal you're likely to get? Also, any reason I shouldn't ask them to commit to a value on the trade-in before indicating that I'm using the X-plan? Not that I expect much value given that it's got 180k miles on it, but hey, even an extra $500 helps.

TIA.

ETA: Mods, if this is in the wrong forum I apologize... wasn't sure where it should go.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:22 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jaitken
I'm seriously considering trading in my 2000 F250SD for a 2010 F150 Screw. Too many maintenance issues of late and, well, I'm just getting that new truck itch. Not to mention I'm getting tired of feeding the V10.

I just realized that I'm eligible for X-plan through my employer. Is there any reason to waste time haggling on my own or looking at Costco/AAA/etc? Or is the X-plan pretty much the best deal you're likely to get? Also, any reason I shouldn't ask them to commit to a value on the trade-in before indicating that I'm using the X-plan? Not that I expect much value given that it's got 180k miles on it, but hey, even an extra $500 helps.

TIA.

ETA: Mods, if this is in the wrong forum I apologize... wasn't sure where it should go.
Our local dealer gives Costco customers the same price as X Plan. If you have a dealer/salesman that you can trust, they would simply tell you what their Costco or AAA pricing is compared to other deals.

George

Old 06-24-2010, 02:51 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by jaitken

TIA.

As per X-plan rules, if you intend to use the X-plan, you must indicate that immediately upon your arrival. Ford does not want us to try to negotiate a lower price and then use X-plan as leverage to obtain that pricing.

Personally what I would do is go onto the x-plan site and look at the prices for certain F-150 packages and make you decision in private.

X-plan caps the dealer doc fees at $75.00 and X-plan is priced at .4% above dealer cost for Ford branded products.

I would try to coordinate x-plan with a hefty cash rebate from the factory or really cheap financing from FMC.

I did this last week on my 2010 Focus and I'll do it again in the spring on an F-150.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:06 PM
FUTRCK
New User
I think one reason to not go with the X plan is because you have to follow the rules to a T. They can only give you fair market value for your trade. So if you wanted to squeeze them a little more for the trade then they could use that against you. Also they are giving a lot off trucks right now. I just picked up a Platinum for 12k off sticker. I had a trade and they gave me $250 more than I owed for it, there are a lot of incentives right now.

If you want to get smart you could pit two dealerships against each other and the first dealership you could not mention it, and the second you could mention it and see what kind of price you get.

thats just my opinion.

let us know what winds up happening

Old 06-24-2010, 09:32 PM
doocrue
Junior User
How do you log into the X plan site. I can't get in there. I ordered a new truck a month ago but wasn't able to get into the site. Can you give me the website and how to log in. Thanks, Rick

Old 06-25-2010, 05:15 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by doocrue
How do you log into the X plan site. I can't get in there. I ordered a new truck a month ago but wasn't able to get into the site. Can you give me the website and how to log in. Thanks, Rick
Do you qualify for the x-plan either through your employer or through a Ford partner agreement? I got mine through the Disabled American Veterans and their partnership with Ford. Or are you a stock holder?

Either way, they can assist you with the access.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:15 AM
jacknbella
Senior User
An earlier poster just said they got $12K off a Platinum and those usually go for around $50K MSRP. Are you saying you picked it up for around $38K? If so, please share your story. I'd like to get a Platinum as well but I always thought they were way out of my price range.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:54 AM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jacknbella
An earlier poster just said they got $12K off a Platinum and those usually go for around $50K MSRP. Are you saying you picked it up for around $38K? If so, please share your story. I'd like to get a Platinum as well but I always thought they were way out of my price range.
If it was an 09 Platinum I'd believe it. They want to move ALL of the 09's off the lots. I picked up a 2009 PSD for 30,885 when the MSRP was 50,710 on it using an x-plan.

The dealer will usually restrict the vehicle offerings for an x-plan purchase to vehicles they want to move...like mine.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Backwoods5
New User
With a X-plan, the dealer is locked into what the factory dictates, reason some dealers don't except these plans. With that said, some times you can do better than the X-plan. Those are not as good as in years past, based on my recent search of vehicles. IMO there have been so many given out, that now, the only real saving are the Employees and family type plans. On mine the dealer invoice and X-plan are very close.
Matter of fact if you qualify for Military or Student Rebate it maybe better to go Invoice. Under the plans those $500 rebates are not excepted by Ford. Other Mfgs are different.
Indicate you may just be able to ge

Heck, ask the sales rep for a X-plan print out on the vehicle. It no longer a big deal, with these plans.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:28 PM
mooseman411
New User
I purchased my 10 supercrew with the xplan in Feb. Very easy transaction. Granted you may not get the best deal with your trade, but to save a little more on the taxes trading yours in helps. Also, watch the financing deals. I ran into the issue that you could not good financing with the rebates. Therefore take the rebates, and xplan and check with a credit union for low financing. You will save in the long run. My purchase worked out to almost $8500 of sticker.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:31 PM
pig9r
Senior User
Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
I was going to use X-plan, but the dealer actually offered me a price about $150 lower than X-plan, plus the rebates. Whatever you do, make sure that you see the invoice that shows MSRP, X-Plan, and A-plan on it.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:03 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
The dealer is paid a commission from Ford for selling a vehicle under the X-plan. I'm not sure how much it amounts to but it's better than a poke in the eye.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:32 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ChargersFanInCO
If it was an 09 Platinum I'd believe it. They want to move ALL of the 09's off the lots. I picked up a 2009 PSD for 30,885 when the MSRP was 50,710 on it using an x-plan.

The dealer will usually restrict the vehicle offerings for an x-plan purchase to vehicles they want to move...like mine.
I got about 10k off sticker for my 2010 and that wasn't using any incentives, rebates, or even a trade-in. Only thing I did as go in Feb. toward the end of the month to see what I could squeeze out of them if they wanted another sale to post at the end of the month(and maybe even quarter depend on when they do the postings for that). That was also after getting a bedliner and TBC controller installed as well.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:31 AM
msalyer
Senior User
Originally Posted by pig9r
I was going to use X-plan, but the dealer actually offered me a price about $150 lower than X-plan, plus the rebates. Whatever you do, make sure that you see the invoice that shows MSRP, X-Plan, and A-plan on it.
BUT if they're like dealers around here they add on $300 TO $400 FOR "administration fees" (paperwork). Under the X-plan, maximum for these fees is $75. So you have to look out for that as well.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:20 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by pig9r
You get ALL rebates and incentives using the x-plan. The way you get around their numbers is to go in and talk to them. You get their rebates and incentives listed out for you, and tell them "I'll think about it". Call them back a week later and say "Hey, I just realized I'm eligible for an x-plan...Can you do the same deal with the x-plan?" Unless it's a brand new model year truck, they'll do it. Might take you a week to get the truck, but it's worth it.

Quick Reply: Any reason not to go with X-plan?