Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run without SPOUT connector plugged in?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:45 AM
qbert
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I appreciate that! Im no mechanic by any means, so it helps when you hear an "atta boy", especially on something you know very little about.

It might be very beneficial because I also have a 92 diesel that has OBDI as well. It would work for both trucks.

BTW: What bolt do you loosen to adjust the distributor to set its timing?

Old 06-14-2010, 11:52 AM
ymeski56
Der Postmeister

Received 497 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by qbert
Perhaps I will try the TFI then first and see if I get a better result. Is that something I can take the chance with at a salvage yard or would I be better off buying that one new?
Good chance that's how the truck got there in the first place! The PIP & TFI are "too" important, and personally, I hate seeing history repeat itself on something this labor intensive.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:57 AM
ymeski56
Der Postmeister

I appreciate that! Im no mechanic by any means, so it helps when you hear an "atta boy", especially on something you know very little about.

It might be very beneficial because I also have a 92 diesel that has OBDI as well. It would work for both trucks.

BTW: What bolt do you loosen to adjust the distributor to set its timing?
Well, this is a darn good way to become one! You've already fought off the "Just keep throwin parts at it" Syndrome. No small feat in itself!
There's a single bolt into the block at the base of the Dist. shaft.

If you get the attention of some of the older boy's, don't take their advice lightly. Those "Rep markers" are there for a reason. Trust me, they're not that easy to get! https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...icons-for.html

Old 06-14-2010, 12:04 PM
qbert
Freshman User
Thank you so much!

Old 06-14-2010, 12:32 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
Hold down bolt:

/

Old 06-14-2010, 12:36 PM
ymeski56
Der Postmeister

If it look's slightly difficult to navigate that bolt........it's somewhat true! Leave it to Subford to take all the mystery & adventure out of locating it!

Old 06-14-2010, 02:56 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Lucky for me, I did a hard self test. I counted my codes the hard way...several drawn out times to make sure I counted right. After 3 different days of tests, it about made me sick . I have ADHD, so counting those codes were especially difficult, but I got them down and confirmed a few times so that I was sure what the truck was trying to tell me. I like this better anyway because getting a machine to test is like trying to pass me a message through a third party on the phone. Info gets mixed up when passed through someone else. This way the truck told me what was wrong with it.

I think I will take my chances with you guys and go ahead and replace the TFI. Still not sure how to set the timing though once I get it replaced.
I can feel your pain as well... kind of. I don't have ADHD but I am dyslexic- trying to count those codes by the engine light was like putting an elevator in an outhouse- it just didn't work.

I also own the type of code reader that ymeski was suggesting to you. It's cheap and super easy to use. Once I used it more than a couple of times I got the process down and it takes me very little time to run the self tests with it.

One thing I will suggest is having an extension cord so you can operate it from the cab as you will need to test a few things for the computer during the tests, just like you did if you were to run the self test w/out a reader. You don't have to buy one- I made my own using 3- 6 foot lengths of 14 gauge wire. If clicking the link below doesn't work try copy and paste.

http://mystyk3.tripod.com/extension.jpg

Good luck!

Old 06-14-2010, 03:08 PM
ymeski56
Der Postmeister

Originally Posted by DBGrif91
I can feel your pain as well... kind of. I don't have ADHD but I am dyslexic- trying to count those codes by the engine light was like putting an elevator in an outhouse- it just didn't work.

I also own the type of code reader that ymeski was suggesting to you. It's cheap and super easy to use. Once I used it more than a couple of times I got the process down and it takes me very little time to run the self tests with it.

One thing I will suggest is having an extension cord so you can operate it from the cab as you will need to test a few things for the computer during the tests, just like you did if you were to run the self test w/out a reader. You don't have to buy one- I made my own using 3- 6 foot lengths of 14 gauge wire. If clicking the link below doesn't work try copy and paste.

http://mystyk3.tripod.com/extension.jpg

Good luck!
I got double tapped. A little of both. Surprisingly (or not), people w/ these quirks, tend the put a touch more effort into their authoring, & end up w/ a better than average post. I could be slightly prejudiced though!

Old 06-14-2010, 03:11 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ymeski56
I got double tapped. A little of both. Surprisingly (or not), people w/ these quirks, tend the put a touch more effort into their authoring, & end up w/ a better than average post. I could be slightly prejudiced though!
Well, to be honest, I didn't even know I was dyslexic until I was 19 or 20. My mother mentioned in passing that my father is borderline dyslexic, and after doing a bit of online research, suddenly my school years made so much more sense to me.

So, I found a place where I could take a test to be sure, and have lived with it since. It actually works to my advantage in my job- I'm a truck driver/freight handler, and being able to "generate" a 3D picture how a truck load is coming together in my head helps me to better load the truck and make sure it's proper for transport.

I know what you mean about the effort tho- I think a large part of why I'm as literate as I am today is because I grew up not knowing I had dyslexia, so instead of "having to deal with it" I just made it work for me.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:20 PM
ymeski56
Der Postmeister

Originally Posted by DBGrif91
Well, to be honest, I didn't even know I was dyslexic until I was 19 or 20. My mother mentioned in passing that my father is borderline dyslexic, and after doing a bit of online research, suddenly my school years made so much more sense to me.

So, I found a place where I could take a test to be sure, and have lived with it since. It actually works to my advantage in my job- I'm a truck driver/freight handler, and being able to "generate" a 3D picture how a truck load is coming together in my head helps me to better load the truck and make sure it's proper for transport.

I know what you mean about the effort tho- I think a large part of why I'm as literate as I am today is because I grew up not knowing I had dyslexia, so instead of "having to deal with it" I just made it work for me.
I rest my case! I can efficiently/effectively pack a truck/ van w/ few rivals. I never realized that was a "Perk"!

Old 02-13-2013, 05:28 PM
circletheproblem
New User
Talking spout

I was having a timing problem as well, I could hold the timing light on the harmonic and watch the timing mark move back and forth, no power while trying to accelerate and a bad miss in the engine. I thought all was lost in my old pick up then I learned about this magical spout connector! I unplugged it started the truck up and the timing mark stayed in one place for 5 minutes a hopped in took off she ran like a champ, I am unable to pin point the timing issue I am having so I am just going to leave the spout disconnected and hope for the best :-) suggestions are welcome I just thought I would share my spout success story as well

Old 02-13-2013, 05:35 PM
ymeski56
Der Postmeister

Originally Posted by circletheproblem
I was having a timing problem as well, I could hold the timing light on the harmonic and watch the timing mark move back and forth, no power while trying to accelerate and a bad miss in the engine. I thought all was lost in my old pick up then I learned about this magical spout connector! I unplugged it started the truck up and the timing mark stayed in one place for 5 minutes a hopped in took off she ran like a champ, I am unable to pin point the timing issue I am having so I am just going to leave the spout disconnected and hope for the best :-) suggestions are welcome I just thought I would share my spout success story as well
MY personal bet.

PIP sensor/ Stator: Fuel Injection Technical Library » Stator (RPM)

Old 02-13-2013, 06:01 PM
circletheproblem
New User
I will try that thanks for the info ymeski

Old 02-13-2013, 06:04 PM
ymeski56
Der Postmeister

Originally Posted by circletheproblem
I will try that thanks for the info ymeski
Too much work required to replace sensor, most replace the distributor itself.

The only other possibility is the ICM/ TFI module. That can be removed & bench tested at most any auto parts store.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Truckin Bob
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys. Me again. So I messed around with the wiring, cleaned everything up a bit and still no help. It is apparent that there is definitely a voltage problem somewhere. Until I get this sorted out, I have unplugged the SPOUT connector for the time being. Will it damage my engine if I drive it without it plugged in? At park anyway, it sounded much better with much better throttle response. I wanted a second opinion before I drive it anywhere as is. I figured it would be better than driving it with the off-timing that it was at.
If my memory serves me correctly..............

There was, at one time, a TSB from FORD dealing with the wiring harness from the TFI to the computer shorting out.
It was a matter of opening up the harness/bundle of wires near the computer plug, and looking for a bare wire that had cut into other wires insulation within the harness.

Simple fix if that's what you've got going on.

Bob

Quick Reply: Run without SPOUT connector plugged in?