Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Rear fuel tank broken? air in lines?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 12:35 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear fuel tank broken? air in lines?

okay guys a few days ago I routed the liner to the rear fuel tank so I could actually fill it up, put about 4 gallons in just to test it, started the truck, was running good, 1 minute later it started bucking real bad like it was sucking air, surgeing, shaking, really bad rough idle, what can I check for this? is it possible that there was some goop in the rear tank and when I added the diesel it mixed together and now its just a bad batch of fuel? the tank was completely bone dry but who knows? I'm thinking maybe one of the fuel lines is rusted or something?

Old 06-12-2010, 12:42 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's actually very possible is that your fuel pickup "shower head" in the tank has disintegrated and fallen off the steel line, which results in an inability to use the bottom 1/4 of the tank. The easy fix is to drop the tank and use rubber hose to replace the "shower head", but for the time being just add a few more gallons and see if the truck runs good, I bet it will be just fine. Also it's suggested that you don't go under 1/2 a tank while that issue is present, this will ensure that no matter what there is always enough fuel in the tank to prevent air from getting sucked in.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Second that ...

You can blow back into the tank via the fuel supply line, if it doesn't bubble you pretty much know the facts.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 06-12-2010, 04:12 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
yikes okay thanks guys, is it harder to drop the rear tank than dropping the main one?

Old 06-12-2010, 04:18 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Sorta, getting the filler neck off and then back on can be a rather annoying experience, but then again you have a flatbed so maybe you have more space to reach on top of the tank compared to a pickup bed like mine.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:23 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
yes lots more space and as far as the filler neck I could get my arm around the flabed frame and unhook that but how do I drop the tank down the driveshaft and differential are there

Old 06-12-2010, 04:32 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Wait, what? The rear tank sits behind the rear axle, not on top of it, all you have to do is unbolt the two straps that hold the tank in place and the thing will fall right off. Don't forget to disconnect the two fuel lines and the gauge sender harness on top of it beforehand tho.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:40 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
oh sorry I couldnt remember exactly where it sits I thought it was right above the differential, well this is good news should make life easier and I already have experience from doing the front one lol! thanks for your help as always guys

Old 06-13-2010, 02:06 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
the truck ran for a little bit when you switched tanks,because it was running off fuel that was in the lines/filter/ip.
the engine would have stalled completely if you didn't switch it back in time.
before you drop the tank (which is a pain really.and may require new straps) you should flip the switch,and listen for a little motor zip noise.that will be the FSV down on the frame rail.
if the tanks not been used,it could be due to a faulty FSV.(a costly little OEM bugger,but a hassle to many to wire in a much more economical universal one.-i chose the latter.)
you should test for voltage at the FSV.
you should also bring the tank up half way with fuel too like stated.

good FSV testing thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...el-gauges.html

careful with Festus's advice in post #3.great info and i agree of course.but i just wanted to add,make sure you do that before the FSV.unhook there to blow in the line,not up by the engine.
the reason is,the FSV can only handle so much pressure (a few psi) you could blow it if your not careful.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:18 AM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
the truck ran for a little bit when you switched tanks,because it was running off fuel that was in the lines/filter/ip.
the engine would have stalled completely if you didn't switch it back in time.
before you drop the tank (which is a pain really.and may require new straps) you should flip the switch,and listen for a little motor zip noise.that will be the FSV down on the frame rail.
if the tanks not been used,it could be due to a faulty FSV.(a costly little OEM bugger,but a hassle to many to wire in a much more economical universal one.-i chose the latter.)
you should test for voltage at the FSV.
you should also bring the tank up half way with fuel too like stated.

good FSV testing thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...el-gauges.html

careful with Festus's advice in post #3.great info and i agree of course.but i just wanted to add,make sure you do that before the FSV.unhook there to blow in the line,not up by the engine.
the reason is,the FSV can only handle so much pressure (a few psi) you could blow it if your not careful.
oh okay I just zipped through your link, I've looked at this thing on the frame rail numerous times and couldnt figure what it was thanks f250

Old 06-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
My mistake, I should have included "blow with lungs", for that is what I meant!

I agree, don't use compressed air.

-Enjoy

Old 06-14-2010, 12:18 AM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
now, there are two lines coming off from the tank, one supply and one return correct? how do I know which is return and which is supply

Old 06-14-2010, 01:50 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
I'm not 100% sure, however I believe the lines are two different sizes and I believe the larger one is the return.

Though wait for some else to either confirm or slap me straight!

-Enjoy

Old 06-14-2010, 01:56 AM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
The larger 3/8" line is the engine supply, the smaller 5/16" is the tank return - you need to blow backwards through the larger line then.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:11 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Thanks for the correction ... Now I won't forget!

I read it on here a few weeks ago, unfortunately my short term memory is shorter than my ....!

-Enjoy

Quick Reply: Rear fuel tank broken? air in lines?