1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

electrical problems ('56)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Woah, happy place.

I have listened, and I've checked and rewired everything, haven't posted pictures of it being redone, maybe it's because its an F-600 and not an F-100 but I find differences on my truck that look so factory it's ridiculous (such as the battery light having two wires attached in a molding on the back, one is black one is yellow, on the books diagram they are both yellow), yeah it's possible someone changed something back in the day, but it's hard not to see somethings look so stock and not at least question that maybe it's supposed to be that way originally, all it would take is someone from the factory doing it slightly different for whatever reason. And yeah, the wiring has been touched before, so there is a good cause to believe that it might not be correct, but it's not cause to believe undoubtedly that it's not.

Gauge and light bulb make a huge difference when you're trying to figure things out, I wasn't getting hung up on the term I was thinking I was missing something, maybe it's just my personal usage of the word but I didn't think they where interchangeable, it's not a problem but I was trying to make sure I had everything I needed on it and the language differences can cloud things sometimes. The alternator post was souly on the wiring of the back of the alternator, all I wanted to know was why I needed to run a wire from one post on it to another, that was it, I was just being curious, I like to know what things do, especially when they seem redundant. I wasn't checking any other wiring on the truck, I figured starting a new topic would make it easier for members who know alternators and could answer my quick question rather than have it on the second page of something else where no one was going to look.

It's been my experience that asking just one person for advise leads to only knowing what one person does, which makes it a crap-shoot if it's correct or not. I so check around, things that are correct tend to be repeated and often a little tiny thing comes up that changes everything. The elders at the store might say the same thing about you, so who am I to believe when two groups say the other is wrong? Thats where learning how something works pays off, cause maybe a tiny piece of infromation will come up and prove us all wrong.

The more I know the better job I can do for my situation, especially if I learn why things work the way they do. I like to know why I believe what I do, it's why I search on how things work, tiny little things can make an unnecessary mess if you don't know how it works... like my front blinker being able to work with only one wire attached and no ground wire. People would say it was impossible, but if I know the truck is grounded to a negative it helps me to see that paint probably got scratched and it was getting the flow some how through the metal around it. Or magic, it's possible it was magic, lol.

I appreciate your help, it's been a life savor, but even if you wired these trucks back in the day, I would still double and triple check information. It's not personal, it's just a habit I picked up after all these years for prudent reasons. It's not a personal attack.

The wiring is done on the truck, thanks to you I've been able to get a handle on it. But please don't take it out on me when I stick to things longer than you want me to. It's not that its "not sinking in" it's just that I'm trying to learn that little something that makes all the difference, hell my blinker and tail light problem was fixed by another members after thought.

None of this is personal, like I said I really do appreciate all the help you've given me but I don't appreciate being talked to like I'm being stupid intentionally. I've learned enough with this whole ordeal that I'll probably never need to ask another wiring question again.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I never said you were being stupid intentionally, you're just stupid whether you can help yourself or not

It's your truck - knock yourself out. Good luck! I'm sure you'll get it fixed one way or the other.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:55 PM
ryanmad2000
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dimmer switch on 59

I just ordered a new headlight high beam/low beam foot switch but I chuckled at your post on a little WD40 - have a new switch coming into NAPA at 8am tomorrow to hopefully complete my dash wiring harness project....blinkers and brake lights work perfectly when headlights are off - as soon as head lights are on the left rear blinker misbehaves (won't work, freezes on or flashes both back lights) - the high beams glow dimly when the low beams are on and vice versa...so I read somewhere in another post where the dimmer switch gets confused - hope I cure the problem tomorrow.

p.s. new to site so why does the main menu under 'Models' say '48 to '60 and then the forum ends at '56 - I love my '59 F100 Stepside with Cruisomatic transmission but is Wally an orphan? unloved because he is awkward looking?

Old 10-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Zombie thread on Halloween! lol

Yeah I cleaned all that out a couple years back, was full of dirt and rust, thought I had pictures in here of it.... got it all sorted out, thanks for the help!

Ryan, a couple years back they gave the 57-60 group their own section (which is too bad in my opinion, I thought those years worked well in here) : 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Last edited by Stephen67; 10-31-2012 at 11:00 PM.