1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fuel Sending Unit / Fuel Gauge Issue (Updated)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:10 AM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ed60
Is this confirmed? I am fairly sure I need a sending unit for my 2000 f250 7.3 and want to line one up before I drop the tank. $400+ for just a sender assy is a ripoff, if I can get away spending only $150, that would be great.
The parts are the same, you will need to go into the parts catalog and look up the sending unit for the V10 and go from there.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:19 AM
eetalt
Junior User
PartsGuyEd: www.partsguyed.com

Send them your VIN and they'll be sure to get you the right thing.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:05 PM
ed60
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the replies. I am going to check further on on partsguyed.
Everywhere I looked, if I put in diesel, it came up around $400.
I will be doing this in a couple weeks, will post up my results.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:15 PM
ed60
New User
Ok, I am possibly very lucky. I pulled the bed (only had to cut 4 bolts) and pulled the sender/ pickup assy from the tank and the float and rod were laying in the bottom of the tank. The sender still works though. I put the rod back on the sender and added a nut to the back of it to keep it from coming out again, even though the clips on the sender did snap good on the rod. Also added a washer and nut on the end of the rod to keep the float from coming off again. I ohmed the sender several times and all seems well, will know just how good it works once I drive it some and dont have a full tank anymore.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:11 AM
lectricgenius
New User
99 powerstroke fuel sending unit

Originally Posted by bdrummonds
The parts are the same, you will need to go into the parts catalog and look up the sending unit for the V10 and go from there.
bdrummonds, wuld it b possible for u 2 put the part num here for the pump. Ive tried looking 4 it up on partsguyed's site, but cannot find wut im looking for. And before every1 flames me over my spelling, yes i do know how 2 spell folks, i just like my version of shorthand, just sound it out like it sounds.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:18 AM
lectricgenius
New User
oops looks like i wasnt looking in the right place apparently. but which fuel tank shuld i use in order to get the proper 1?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:45 PM
excursionman85
New User
Talking

Hey guys,
just thought you should know i just stumbled upon this discussion and before i got here i googled fuel sending unit ford excursion and it took me to an option for an o'riely auto parts and they provide either the whole pump and sending unit for 481.99 or 490.99 depending on your location and grade of part and it gave me the option for just the sending unit 157.99 in my area. maybe this is something new that other auto places arent doing but oriellys are pretty common in wisconsin and alot easier to drive to get you part than wait online...not to sound like spam or anything hope this helps.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:57 PM
jshalala
Junior User
Originally Posted by excursionman85
Hey guys,
just thought you should know i just stumbled upon this discussion and before i got here i googled fuel sending unit ford excursion and it took me to an option for an o'riely auto parts and they provide either the whole pump and sending unit for 481.99 or 490.99 depending on your location and grade of part and it gave me the option for just the sending unit 157.99 in my area. maybe this is something new that other auto places arent doing but oriellys are pretty common in wisconsin and alot easier to drive to get you part than wait online...not to sound like spam or anything hope this helps.
Did you happen to get the part number for just the sending unit?

Old 03-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by eetalt
PartsGuyEd: www.partsguyed.com

Send them your VIN and they'll be sure to get you the right thing.
I think that is exactly what you DONT want to do in order to get a gasser unit for your diesel.

Dont mind me guys, Im just searching the subject and came across this old thread.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:33 PM
findre
New User
My 7.3 has a bad sender. Has anyone tried the v10 gas float solution? I can get right one for $351 with the discount, but if I can save $200, Ill go for it. IF you have done, do you know the part number, or the PS number, I think the gas has the pump built in? or something like that. I dont know, I dont pay attention to gas trucks.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:09 PM
F-250 Super Duty
Laughing Gas

Go to a junk yard. I got a whole X tank with skid plate for $75 dollars... Sender worked great...

Old 02-10-2016, 09:27 AM
dantheman0083
New User
Fuel gauge problems

Originally Posted by brettdacosta
I'm sorry to keep beating this to death, but it may help someone else in the future. Due to getting ready for the new addition to the family (wife's due with our second this thursday), I haven't been able to do the hutch/harpoon mod yet. I have everything, but the time is the issue.

Well, to be ready (in case a couple hours presented itself) I've been keeping the tank kinda low. It's because of that, I've actually started to run out of fuel twice since I had the initial problem (that I mentioned in "IDM problems"). Fortunately, I have been near enough to a gas station to spit and sputter my way to there to add only another 5 gallons or so.

Here's my question though. Both times I started to run out of fuel, I have shown 1/4 of a tank. I'm just wondering why and if there is anything I can do to possibly fix this while I'm in my fuel tank with the sending unit out. It's like it's not really calibrated correctly, because the gauge works fine when it's full reading all the way down to the 1/4 where it's run out on me a couple times. Thanks in advance for all the help you guys can give.
Try cleaning your positive terminals on both batteries. Advanced auto sells terminal cleaner that neutralizes corrosion on battery terminals. It's red when sprayed and turns yellow when activated on corrosion. 95% of the time fuel gauge will read low fuel or show gas all the way full even though you know it isn't. Clean the positive teminals and check. I can almost guarantee that will solve your problem with fuel gauge acting up out of the blue.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:53 PM
mxhowes1
Junior User
Let's start with the simple fix first ..... Disconnect both batteries (-) cables. Then turn on your headlights .... go have a beer or what ever way you want to entertain yourself for an hour. Turn off the light switch, connect the batteries, turn on your key, if the gauges go to 100% then to zero instantly you did a good job of draining the system. Now drive off and watch your gauge, it may move v e r y slowly but will eventually give a correct reading (if something internal is not broken).

I'm new to this truck and I couldn't believe how inaccurate the gauge readings were. At 1/4 tank I would put in 10 gal and the gauge would be pinned on F then down to 1/2 .... up and down all over the place. I did a battery disconnect and now I have a working gauge....... it moves very slowly after a fuel addition, but will eventually show a correct reading and then start slowly moving down as I put on the miles. This fixed my problem for a cost of 0$. This may not solve your problem but give it a try first ...what do you have to lose?

Old 12-04-2020, 03:43 PM
svp
New User
Was wondering. Do you use the entire sending unit or just the electronics of the sending mechanism?
The bracket that the unit is mounted to looks diff than the factory for my 2000 F250 super duty 7.3 29 gal tank?
Do you just use the actual plastic float sender and mount it on my current tube bracket? Confused.