Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

Do I need this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:37 AM
oldblu
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Redcat D, I just switched phones today. The new phone has a camera. I am going to force myself to learn how to post pics. My son is going to college in a month. Time for the old dog to learn new tricks! I was surprised to find the drains not so accessible.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Redcat Diesel
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Oldblu, back when that rig was new it was still common practice to grease a truck every week. Access wasn't much of an issue since someone was under it anyway. Automatic drain valves ( often called spitter valves ) and air dryers were just beginning to become popular. Virtually all air brake vehicles today are equipped with air drying units that seperate and eject water and other contaminants before they ever get to the first air tank. If you'd like I'll get part numbers for the spring loaded, cable controlled drain valves. They are relatively inexpensive and save rolling around on the floor.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:22 PM
oldblu
Senior User
Redcat, I think I'm going to concentrate on detailing and reselling (hopefully)
Now I know where the drains are, it's not that big of a problem. I would say that the rear tank has a drier on it.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Mike-fire32
Junior User
Old Blu, It was interesting to see this C series ALF pumper on this site, as I was doing a little negotiating last spring to purchase it directly from North Whatcom Fire & Rescue. I work for a fire apparatus builder/dealer, and we sold a couple new pumpers and a ladder truck to the fire district, and as as result work quite closely with the district mechanic. They felt they could get more at the auction than what I was offering (which they did),so I did not end up with it. I was considering swapping the 534 and the newer Allison automatic into my pumper. I would like to know how you are doing with it and if you have more questions. If you are interested, you can go to www.pnwspaamfaa.com to check out the local chapter for fire apparatus enthusiasts. We have a few active members in your region, including Ferndale Fire Dept., and would love to have you join our organization.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:52 PM
oldblu
Senior User
Mike, Thanks for the contact. I've had some fun with this old beast. I think I finally got all of the lights and accessories operational. I have it in my home shop now and I'm slowly working my way around it with the buffer and compound. This red paint really comes to life with a little work.
I'm torn as what to do with it now. I might take it to my car lot in Bellingham as an attention attractor. I'm also considering taking it to the wholesale auction in Seattle when I have the detailing complete. I hate the thought of something serious breaking on it. I also don't want to leave it outside exposed to the elements. I've snooped around the antique fire apparatus websites. It would be good to connect with the local chapter. There are a couple of small pieces I would like to find including a chome hose connection cap and a small clip that attaches an access panel to the body.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:32 AM
oldblu
Senior User
I finally finished buffing out the paint on this truck. I also painted the front wheels red with the lock ring silver to match the rear wheels. I cleaned up the interior, polished the chrome and repainted the steel diamond plate battery boxes and running boards. I also polished the aluminum diamond plate, rear bumper and trim. It turned out looking really good. While my son was home for college, we drove it into town and parked it at my car lot. Charlie took over 80 pictures and we posted it on Craigslist. I was nervous about leaving it on the lot over night because the compartments don't have locks and there is still quite a bit of gear stowed from the truck's firefighting days.
The first day it was out there a guy stopped in and asked why I was selling it so cheap. I told him there wasn't a great market for these old trucks and that I had my fun with it and it was time to let someone else play with it. He was back first thing the next morning to buy the truck! He didn't even want to drive it. I drove him across town to his business in the truck. When we pulled in, he insisted that I run the siren. His family and employees came running out to the truck and started crawling all over it, excited as on Christmas morning. It turns out that his wife spotted it on my lot and told him that he needed to go buy it. (Wife on board with a new toy, it'a a beautiful thing!)
Before they drove me back to my lot, they all lined up in front of the truck and had me take a bunch of pictures. As we were leaving, the new owner's son was carefully backing the truck in to their warehouse. It was rewarding to see this truck end up in the hands of a new owner that completely gets the idea of owning a vehicle like this. He couldn't stop grinning. I really had fun tinkering on this beast and my barn seems very empty without the truck gleaming under the lights, but now I'm ready for a new toy. I don't know why, but I seem to keep ending up on web pages for Grand Banks for sale....

Old 04-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Crete
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanlyr
I have to believe that the C900 has air brakes, what a pig if it does not, so that is why yoou need the air brake endorsment.

I have a Washington state CDL, class B, with the optional air brake and tanker endorsments.
Yet another.

You don't have an air brake endorsement.

Please read and review your states and the federal regulations on this.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:02 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,597 Likes on 1,302 Posts
Originally Posted by Crete
Yet another.

You don't have an air brake endorsement.

Please read and review your states and the federal regulations on this.
Everyone needs a hobby, but you could at least see that the OP sold his truck a year ago and this thread is as dead as a doornail.

Yet you still have to correct people on the endorsement vs. restriction thing.

You are progressing from "knowledgable source/valuable contributor" to "crusader for correctness" to "crank".

jmo, ymmv.