EFI cam question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 10:29 AM
brucen2son
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EFI cam question

I found this cam in Compcams catalog, it lists it for Speed density EFI 460. The specs are Duration 256 int 268 exh at .50 it's 212 and 219. Lift is .490 int .495 exh and a lobe seperation angle of 114. I have an '89 F250 HD w/460 and C6, w/3.55 gears.
I am wondering if this would be a good cam or is it too weak...??I use the truck '89 F250 HD mainly for towing 5th wheel trailer and around town.
Otherwise I have K&N filter (stock oem box) and headers.
Also I was wondering if anyone has answered the question about the later 460 EFI using the early timming set (straight up) with reguards to smog (how it might affect, ability to pass test)?

Old 02-03-2003, 12:20 PM
hellraiser
Junior User
EFI cam question

weiney cam for that many cubic inches. This is like a 302 stock cam. Very mild in a 460. I hate to bust your bubble but you will be limited on your cam selection because:

1. You still hope to pass emissions
2. A Speed density setup is limited opposed to using mass air.

I don't know if you can actually go bigger than that. I think that's why you didn't see that many selections.

Old 02-04-2003, 05:34 AM
DeenHylton
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EFI cam question

Our trucks are similar...
I had Comp-Cams custom grind me a cam for towing. It specs at 206 in and 211 ex @ .050 with .499 lift in. and .510 lift ex.
Even with that small of cam (smaller than what your thinking of getting) I felt I lost some bottom end below 1300 RPM but the cam is great at towing speeds...55-65 MPH. I did install the early straight up timing gears and chain. The truck rocks when towing 9,000 lbs. through the mountains, it only slows down (50-55 MPH) when pulling up the steepest longest grades otherwise my average towing speed is over 60 MPH (mountains).
Save your $$$ to install 4.10 gears after your engine mods are completed, smartest decision I ever made!!! Deen

Old 02-04-2003, 10:15 AM
hellraiser
Junior User
EFI cam question

Depending on what you want the truck to do, you can either:

1. Spend lot's of dollars converting to a mass air system.
2. Buy a adapter and convert to carburation.

I would suggest:
1. pulling the heads (if not too many miles on the engine. Install 2.19/1.76 valves, get port work with carefull detail on the exhaust. Should get 290/190 cfm @.500 lift which is darn good.

2. Run a Stealth CJ intake converted to EFI.The stock truck intake is sufficating the engine.

3. Run some headers

4. Have comp cams design you a solid lift cam to work with the mass density system. Solid cam will make more power under the curve because of it's lobe design.

All the above should help generate 80-100 hp all for under $1500.Horsepower costs of course.

Old 02-07-2003, 07:32 AM
brucen2son
Freshman User
EFI cam question

ok, so let's say I locate an earlier set of heads and an intake for the early heads. then have the intake for the earlier heads set-up for the EFI. Maybe an adapter for the Throttle body to bolt to the intake also. Is this do-able? a waste of time? or would this see some real benefits?

Old 02-08-2003, 01:55 PM
hellraiser
Junior User
EFI cam question

It's do-able!
But, like I said, you only need the Cobra Jet intake. It is the only other intake other than the stock one that will fit the EFI heads.
Convert the carb intake with fuel injector ports, and just an "elbow" for the upper. This is the best thing you can do while still using the stock computer. That is actually the hinderance.(mass density).
Or, yank the computer, convert to carb and enjoy all out performance with no restrictions. Horsepower unlimited!!!!

PS- May would have to run a C6 transmission though. I think the new auto trans have sensors in them which work in conjuction with the computer.

Old 02-10-2003, 06:40 AM
rabidranger
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EFI cam question

It is speed density, not mass density. Speed density and mass air. Best bet for you (and me) Vortech.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...9775truck.html

Old 02-10-2003, 10:14 AM
hellraiser
Junior User
EFI cam question

Each to their own, but for only 81 hp and 65 ft/lbs torque, $2500 or whatever the cost is not cost effective. You can get 81 hp from porting the heads, running 2.19/1.76 valves and a cam change for $1000. And not have to worry about the stress and strain on the #1 bearing from the belt pull, or the little loss of hp to turn the system.

Nothing personal here, just actively participating.