1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

aftermarket turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:43 PM
1973dieselhighboy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket turbo

i was wondering if anyone knows of any direct performance turbos for the 95-97 powerstroke, the only two i have found are from bean diesel and it is the dominator 66 and the hypermax h2e turbo. i want to be running around 400 to 500rwhp when i am done but dont want to spent the 3grand for the h2e and the dminator will not support a stage 3 injector.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:04 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
For that kind of power, you really should be ready to spend the money. Modded H2E, 38R, or QSSB is going to be where you will want to be looking. Get ready to spend 2-3k. Keep in mind, your not just buying a turbo. Your buying the whole kit, turbo, pedistal, uppipes, downpipe... everything.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:05 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
I hate to say this but there's not many options out there unless you fab up something. Putting in a holset is the way to go if your looking for those numbers, but at the end of the day your going to be looking at close to that price wise.

Really, if you looking at 400 plus the turbo is the icing on the cake... injectors, hpop, electric fuel... Those goodies cost more than what the charger will.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:03 PM
1973dieselhighboy
Senior User
were can i find info and were do i buy the qssb turbo and the 38r turbo

Old 05-20-2010, 08:20 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Not sure where to look for a 38R, maybe call RiffRaff diesel or Complete Performance.

For the QSSB, here is the link. Wide Open Performance - Online Store

Old 05-20-2010, 08:58 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
To run a GTP38R on your truck you will have to get some super duty manifolds, superduty up pipes, SD collector, SD pedistal, SD spyder and 3" plenums. or you can build the spyder yourself and keep the 2" plenums, but i would really go with something like an H2E or an S300. here is how turbo setups for us work.. if you do use a 38R then i think Diesel Power Products or DI Performance will have some of the best prices around.

there is ONLY ONE drop in replacement turbo for us and that is the D66 from Beans.

Aside from the D66 if we ever want to switch to a higher performance turbo then we HAVE to get different up pipes, pedistal, collector, etc. for example. the H2E uses the hypermax t-4i mounting kit. you can mount several other turbos on the hypermax mounting kit such as an s300, s400, HX50, QSSB, GQSSB, etc.

now with that said, DI Performance has recently came out with an adapter for the E99 pedistal to run larger Garrett turbos such as the GT4294, GT4294R, GTX4294R, GT4202, GT4202R, GTX42R, GT4508/42R(hybrid), GTX4508/42R(hybrid), GTX4508R(full size)

when you read the different Garrett turbos it's important to remember that the ones with an "R" on the end of them are Ball Bearing, the ones w/ out an "R" or an "X" in there is a Journal Bearing, and the ones that say GTX and have an "R" on the end are Ball Bearing with Billet compressor wheels.

S300's and S400's- these are Borg Warner turbos. most Borg Warner turbos that we would use now a days are all the "SX" series, this means they have ETT or Extended Tip Technology. the ETT allows them to flow good air on the low end, but since the tip extends so far out behind the compressor housing they also flow great on top end thus giving them a broader compressor map. you will see both of these turbos in many different sizes. the S300's are smaller and usually come in 62mm(S362), 64mm(S364), and 66mm(S366) sizes, but some companies modify them into 70+mm turbos. the S400 is the same as above, but they are larger frame turbos(ie, larger shaft, center section, etc.). these are usually 72mm(S472), 75mm(S475), etc, etc, etc. i won't go farther b/c you won't be needing anything more than a 66mm. all these turbos have a couple different options for the turbine housing and turbine wheels

Just trying to throw a little info out there so you can learn what kinds of turbos are out there that can be put on these trucks. Now for you i would run with either an H2E or a GTP38R with a set of 238cc injectors with 80% nozzles. this will put you right at 500hp, but make sure you have all the other mods done to support that 500hp like an electric fuel system, headstuds, valve springs, pushrods, intercooler, etc.

If you end up wanting to go with something other than a 38R like the QSSB OR GQSSB(modded QSSB) from WOP, wop sells the turbos with mounting kits i think, but you need to ask them if they do or not. If you decide to use an S300(would need around a 64mm to get to your goal of 500hp) then you would need to buy just a mounting kit. Places like DI Performance, Murff Racing, Empire Diesel Performance, Hypermax, etc. all make kits to mount such animals, but they can be pricey. i think Murff Racing has the cheapest T-4 mounting kit i have found.

I could probably look around and find enough info to type on here for days, but i don't want to confuse myself or others too terribly much. hope that at least helps a little little bit.

Recap- GT series turbos are Garrett turbos. for your goals a GTP38R would do great

S300/400 series turbos are Borg Warner turbos. for your goals i would suggest an S364 OR S366 depending on how much towing you do.

the QSSB is built by Bell Turbo for WOP.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:03 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
WOW Travis, Great Post. I wish i could rep ya, but i gotta spread the love.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:19 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by JamesHajek
WOW Travis, Great Post. I wish i could rep ya, but i gotta spread the love.
that's what i learn when i sit on the computer at work all day...

Old 05-20-2010, 09:30 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
To run a GTP38R on your truck you will have to get some super duty manifolds, superduty up pipes, SD collector, SD pedistal, SD spyder and 3" plenums. or you can build the spyder yourself and keep the 2" plenums, but i would really go with something like an H2E or an S300. here is how turbo setups for us work.. if you do use a 38R then i think Diesel Power Products or DI Performance will have some of the best prices around.

there is ONLY ONE drop in replacement turbo for us and that is the D66 from Beans.

Aside from the D66 if we ever want to switch to a higher performance turbo then we HAVE to get different up pipes, pedistal, collector, etc. for example. the H2E uses the hypermax t-4i mounting kit. you can mount several other turbos on the hypermax mounting kit such as an s300, s400, HX50, QSSB, GQSSB, etc.

now with that said, DI Performance has recently came out with an adapter for the E99 pedistal to run larger Garrett turbos such as the GT4294, GT4294R, GTX4294R, GT4202, GT4202R, GTX42R, GT4508/42R(hybrid), GTX4508/42R(hybrid), GTX4508R(full size)

when you read the different Garrett turbos it's important to remember that the ones with an "R" on the end of them are Ball Bearing, the ones w/ out an "R" or an "X" in there is a Journal Bearing, and the ones that say GTX and have an "R" on the end are Ball Bearing with Billet compressor wheels.

S300's and S400's- these are Borg Warner turbos. most Borg Warner turbos that we would use now a days are all the "SX" series, this means they have ETT or Extended Tip Technology. the ETT allows them to flow good air on the low end, but since the tip extends so far out behind the compressor housing they also flow great on top end thus giving them a broader compressor map. you will see both of these turbos in many different sizes. the S300's are smaller and usually come in 62mm(S362), 64mm(S364), and 66mm(S366) sizes, but some companies modify them into 70+mm turbos. the S400 is the same as above, but they are larger frame turbos(ie, larger shaft, center section, etc.). these are usually 72mm(S472), 75mm(S475), etc, etc, etc. i won't go farther b/c you won't be needing anything more than a 66mm. all these turbos have a couple different options for the turbine housing and turbine wheels

Just trying to throw a little info out there so you can learn what kinds of turbos are out there that can be put on these trucks. Now for you i would run with either an H2E or a GTP38R with a set of 238cc injectors with 80% nozzles. this will put you right at 500hp, but make sure you have all the other mods done to support that 500hp like an electric fuel system, headstuds, valve springs, pushrods, intercooler, etc.

If you end up wanting to go with something other than a 38R like the QSSB OR GQSSB(modded QSSB) from WOP, wop sells the turbos with mounting kits i think, but you need to ask them if they do or not. If you decide to use an S300(would need around a 64mm to get to your goal of 500hp) then you would need to buy just a mounting kit. Places like DI Performance, Murff Racing, Empire Diesel Performance, Hypermax, etc. all make kits to mount such animals, but they can be pricey. i think Murff Racing has the cheapest T-4 mounting kit i have found.

I could probably look around and find enough info to type on here for days, but i don't want to confuse myself or others too terribly much. hope that at least helps a little little bit.

Recap- GT series turbos are Garrett turbos. for your goals a GTP38R would do great

S300/400 series turbos are Borg Warner turbos. for your goals i would suggest an S364 OR S366 depending on how much towing you do.

the QSSB is built by Bell Turbo for WOP.
Reps sent brother

Old 05-20-2010, 09:37 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
that's what i learn when i sit on the computer at work all day...
All i know is...You da man!!!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 05-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried to rep ya as well, but no dice. Good post!

Old 05-20-2010, 09:52 PM
1973dieselhighboy
Senior User
i am looking for a easy turbo swap cause i have other projects but how much do you think i would put to the ground with stage 2 injectors dominator 66 turbo adrenaline hpop air dog fuel sytem intercooler exhaust and custom chip

Old 05-20-2010, 09:54 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 1973dieselhighboy
i am looking for a easy turbo swap cause i have other projects but how much do you think i would put to the ground with stage 2 injectors dominator 66 turbo adrenaline hpop air dog fuel sytem intercooler exhaust and custom chip
My guess is somewhere in the ball park just north of 400
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 05-21-2010, 03:08 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 1973dieselhighboy
stage 2's come in many different sizes so it's hard to tell. most of them range from 160cc up to around 180cc and some have 80% larger than stock nozzles, some have 100% nozzles. it's all in what you want. My stage 2's are 160cc w/ 80% nozzles and did 380hp on the dyno before i got it tuned correctly and with the stock turbo.. it feels stronger after tuning, but i haven't been back to that same dyno to verify. These exact injectors did 426hp in my buddy's truck before i got them. he had a stock H2E and we couldn't get a good run past 2200RPM b/c it kept blowing the intake spyder off so i'm sure there was more power than that to it, but it was never seen on the dyno.

with the setup you mentioned my guess would have to stay right around 400hp, maybe 410hp. How much towing do you do? auto or manual? do you have any supporting mods done? sorry i didn't look for a sig before typing this and i had a much more in depth response written up, but accidently hit backspace and it tried to go back a page so i lost it.

No turbo swap on these trucks will ever be "easy". just to mess around with swapping stock turbos is PITA the way it's setup.. One thing is for sure though, if you get into a T4 kit and you don't build it yourself, you will be spending around a grand if you find the part used and could be around $1500 new on some stuff if you get the mount kit seperately and get an H2E or S300 or S400 series turbo to mount on there.

thanks for the reps fellas

Old 09-21-2010, 01:14 PM
hejumper
New User
Replacement Turbo

Great turbo information!!!!
What is the recommended options if you just want to replace the stock turbo? I have a 2005 F350 4X4, the turbo had to be cleaned at 35K mi and now again at 15K mi later. The dealer wants $700 to clean or $2,000 to replace w a new unit. If I have to replace it may make sense to spend the money on something more reliable and/or more performance as long as I don't have other costly mod's to make. My truck is still at the dealer in So Cal waiting for my decision. Thx for any info.

Quick Reply: aftermarket turbo