6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

donaldson Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 06:11 PM
ehgeeray
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
donaldson Air Filter

does anyone know the specifics of the stock donaldson filter? Is it multi stage?

I have a few creases in the back side of the filter "dirty side" The mesh pattern is slightly damaged. I wonder if this is a issue, i.e. should I replace the filter because the creases?

Old 05-19-2010, 06:22 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
I don't know much about them except it's a big roll of cardboard with some blue stuff on it. I can't see how creases would hurt a thing since eventually it'll be replaced.

I took one apart and the roll must've been at least 50' long.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:27 PM
ehgeeray
Senior User
Originally Posted by william_04_x
I don't know much about them except it's a big roll of cardboard with some blue stuff on it. I can't see how creases would hurt a thing since eventually it'll be replaced.

I took one apart and the roll must've been at least 50' long.

What do you mean eventually it will be replaced? you mean when I replace it?

Any idea how many layers of media the air has to pass through? there can't be just one layer... I just want to make sure any small tears will not let dirty air though.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:36 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

It doesn't really have layers. Imagine a piece of cardboard rolled up with the corrugated ridges running the length of the filter, in the same direction of airflow. The corrugation creates the airgaps between the rolled layers so you don't end up with a solid roll of paper. The filtered air never actually passes through anything. The dirt just gets stuck to the insides as it goes by. You can see daylight right through a new one..

Old 05-19-2010, 06:49 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It doesn't really have layers. Imagine a piece of cardboard rolled up with the corrugated ridges running the length of the filter, in the same direction of airflow. The corrugation creates the airgaps between the rolled layers so you don't end up with a solid roll of paper. The filtered air never actually passes through anything. The dirt just gets stuck to the insides as it goes by. You can see daylight right through a new one..
YAA, But they sure do collect the dirt and for a long time.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:26 PM
ehgeeray
Senior User
Seriously you can see daylight through it? what traps the dirt?

Old 05-19-2010, 08:46 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The filtered air never actually passes through anything. The dirt just gets stuck to the insides as it goes by. You can see daylight right through a new one..

Not quite so simple.

he principle of HEPA filtration is not to restrict the passage of particulate by the gap between fibers, but by altering the airflow streamlines. The airflow will slip around the fiber, but any higher-density bioaerosols or particulate matter will not change direction so rapidly and, as a result of their inertia, will tend to impact the fiber. Once attached, most particulates will not be re-entrained in the airstream.
Penn State Department of Architectural Engineering

That is the simplest description of the mechanism.

But in fact, there are more mechanisms at work:

Molecular diffusion
Inertia
Gravity
Interception

Attachment
Straining
London van der Waals

Forces involved include Inertia, London van der Waals, Electrostatic, Viscous, Gravitational and Thermal
ceeserver.cee.cornell.edu/mw24/cee454/lectures/08%20Filtration.ppt

Old 05-19-2010, 08:48 PM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
I believe you're fine with the creases...

PowerCore®Air Filters
Donaldson premium air filters that utilize PowerCore™ filtration technology for Ford 6.0L Diesel PowerStroke™ and GM H2 Hummer 6.0L Vortec™ plus other applications listed below. The rugged structure of PowerCore™ filters features an innovative, layered, fluted filter media, which allows air to enter an open flute while forcing it out an adjacent flute, allowing only clean air into the engine. Dirty air is effectively filtered and cleaned in only one pass through the media.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:32 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by ehgeeray
Seriously you can see daylight through it? what traps the dirt?
Like I posted earlier, I don't know much about them. AFAIK they're magic filters.

Actually, when we cut one apart, I do remember the engine side being much more solid than the inlet side. That must be where the air passes through the adjacent flutes like Moyock posted.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:35 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Like I posted earlier, I don't know much about them. AFAIK they're magic filters.

Actually, when we cut one apart, I do remember the engine side being much more solid than the inlet side. That must be where the air passes through the adjacent flutes like Moyock posted.

A top quality filter like that one will have a lot of "black magic" in it.

Carefully blended fibers to generate static electricity with air flow, mix of fiber densities, etc.

Coatings to tweak it.

None of this they will tell you --- nor is it obvious in a simple examination from cutting it apart.

If it is so easy, you would have the market flooded with Chinese made clones for $5 a filter.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:37 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

AFAIC

Old 05-20-2010, 09:18 AM
CAMPINGTOM
Senior User
Originally Posted by 69cj
AFAIC
I don't get it

Old 05-20-2010, 09:57 AM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by CAMPINGTOM
I don't get it
Mike's just ribbin' me. AFAIC /= AFAIK..

Old 05-20-2010, 12:32 PM
CAMPINGTOM
Senior User
As far as I know or A far as I'm concerned ??????

Old 01-20-2013, 12:28 AM
Raptor13
Senior User
I know this thread died sometime ago. But i was wondering if anybody was still able to get the blue filter instead of the white one? All i am finding is white.

Quick Reply: donaldson Air Filter