what could be the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:03 PM
esc97229
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what could be the problem?

New to the forum and diesel..
Just brought an 88 F250 7.3 4x4 ext cab with clean body, everything seems to be fine, she starts right up with no problem, idles at about 700, normal acceleration, runs smooth, except when going up hill I could barely made it to 50mph. Just had a dyno done - max HP is 125hp and max torque is 250lb-ft. I think this engine is rated 180Hp and 345 lb-ft torque, so I'm getting only 2/3 of the HP and 3/4 of the torque. No knowing any of these number means can I still put a cab over camper on her? Where should I start to improve. I'm also thinking about adding a turbo (ats or bank) once the basic engine issues can be resolved. Any suggestions will be grateful.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:11 PM
rupejosh
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like you might need to go through the fuel system.injectors ,injection pump ,return line kit and fresh filters.that will more than likely get ya where you wanna be.add a turbo on top of that and you will be amazed.if you did do all this chances are you will have many more years and miles on this motor.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:19 PM
esc97229
New User
I was told to add a bottle of transmission fluid to the diesel that would help clear the fuel line, what other additives would you recommend? The IP looks fairly new and also the fuel filter, glow plugs are new also. Should I just replace the injector and the return lines?

Old 05-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't use ATF, It's red and can get you into serious trouble... Use something like Diesel Kleen.

Read this: Filling filter with Additive for Cleaning and Lubricating

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 05-04-2010, 11:42 PM
rupejosh
Cargo Master
a heavy dose of diesel kleen or regular dose of sea foam will work.
what you can do is remove the fuel filter and dump it out then refill it with straight diesel kleen and run it for 30 seconds then shut it down and let it sit for a couple hours or so to let the diesel kleen really go at it,and then take it out and drive the crap out of it

Old 05-05-2010, 12:24 AM
esc97229
New User
I'll do that asap, thanks for the input. I've always wanted a truck so back in 80's I brought a new small 4 cylinder ranger and then I hated it because it's so crowded. You turn on the ac and you freeze, you shut the ac off and you felt stuffy. It shakes and vibrates when stop. I sold it after a year. It took me another 25 years to get another truck. Now I love this truck. Let hope I can really fix it up so that I can keep it for a while.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:14 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The listed power numbers are off the crank, not the rear wheels. You aren't too far from what most N/A IDI's are putting out. It does sound a little low though as empty you shouldn't have trouble pulling hills. If the IP appears new/rebuilt, then I would second the diesel kleen(ATF is ok to use if you dont plan on getting stopped for a fuel check, I use it all the time). A fresh set of injectors and having the timing checked would probably give it some more kick as well.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
I don't know anybody thats planned to have their fuel checked ... It just happens and you can do nothing about it, once it's checked, any sign of red and you are busted!

It takes very very little red to show up in green fuel. Less than 1 part per thousand.

-Enjoy

Old 05-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
I know, and I am sure it's different for all areas, but around here I've never heard of or seen them checking the fuel. It's actually kind of surprising considering this is an agricultural community. I think the cops are too busy shooting to check fuel.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
I know you know the risks, but suggesting it to others that may not understand the consequences could cause them undo trouble at your suggestion.

So it really puts you in a bad situation, Thats all I'm getting at.

Personally, I'm a fan of ATF in the fuel, been doing it 40+ years, however I do not suggest it to anyone for the above mentioned reasons.

-Enjoy

Old 05-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
True, point well taken.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:07 PM
srqdiesel chef
Senior User
y'all are freakin' me out, what's this fuel check sh** about anyway. I'm getting ready for a 2000 mi. road trip and I'm planning on using some WVO to cut costs, is that going to get me in trouble for something?

Old 05-06-2010, 02:15 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by srqdiesel chef
y'all are freakin' me out, what's this fuel check sh** about anyway. I'm getting ready for a 2000 mi. road trip and I'm planning on using some WVO to cut costs, is that going to get me in trouble for something?
Red dye is used in offroad fuels because they can then identify it as fuel which wasn't road taxed. If you're caught using that on-road you're in serious trouble. So if they pull you over and "dip" your fuel tank (something i'd never heard of until i joined this forum) and see red in there, you're in a world of hurt.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:15 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
Originally Posted by srqdiesel chef
As long as its a legal road fuel you should be fine. I think what pisses them off the most is when you dont pay the tax on it. Thats why we have red and clear diesel. Red is untaxed offroad only diesel. You definitly dont want to get nailed with having red fuel. They can get you for tax evasion then and thats serious stuff.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
The concern comes from people using off-road diesel fuel. Off-road diesel fuel is dyed red to be discernible from regular diesel. Off-road diesel fuel isn't taxed as a benefit to farmers to use in there equipment. If you get caught running ORD in a street driven vehicle you can get a huge fine, $10k I think. In some places, they stop diesel trucks to check the fuel and make sure they are running regular diesel. If you happen to have filled your filter with ATF and they check it, the insides will most likely have a red color and they could assume you were running ORD. One would hope that with a $10k fine looming they would test it to be sure, but we know how much the govt. enjoys stealing money from honest people.

Quick Reply: what could be the problem?