Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cab and Bed swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Raider50
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab and Bed swap?

I would like to start off by saying it was my step sister who rolled my 97 f250 so I am not the dummy that is responsible for ruining a great truck. Now that I have that out of the way.

I have a 97 F250HD XL supercab shortbed 460/e4od. It was in a 25mph roll over. She just parked it on its lid it didnt roll to violently or anything. Finding one parts truck for the whole thing has been impossible so far. All it needs is a new cab, bed, and steering column. I have found a f150 in the same configuration that took some frontal damage. So to get to he question at hand, will a f150 body and what not work on a f250? Would the steering column work?

If the pickup will work i will have a whole slew of in depth swap questions i am sure. I am kind of a rookie when it comes to big projects like this, just that i really want my old truck back.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:01 AM
darthice
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if the bed is the same length it will fit as well as the cab if it matches the one on your truck. The steering column should match up out of a 94+ f150 body wise everything should match up

Old 04-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Raider50
Elder User
Alright that's great thank you. I was fairly sure they were the same, but i wasn't sure if the mounts would be different.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:10 AM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

If the donor truck is 4wd or a manual shift, you will have holes in the floor to fill obviously, but other than that things should be fine. Heres a tip from experience: Nows the time to replace the cab mounts and new bolts. Rethread the existing holes to make it a little easier to put them back in, otherwise it can be a pain in the neck as well as other body parts and they tend to get quite hot like that.

Probably not a bad idea to clean up and undercoat the frame too.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Raider50
Elder User
Thanks those are good ideas. I will make sure and do that while the cab and bed are off. Thank you.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:22 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinGnWV
If the donor truck is 4wd or a manual shift, you will have holes in the floor to fill obviously, but other than that things should be fine. Heres a tip from experience: Nows the time to replace the cab mounts and new bolts. Rethread the existing holes to make it a little easier to put them back in, otherwise it can be a pain in the neck as well as other body parts and they tend to get quite hot like that.

Probably not a bad idea to clean up and undercoat the frame too.
even if there are holes to fill you can cut that sheet metal out of the rolled cab floor and weld it or sheet metal screw it back in. if you use sheet metal screws though you should use an adhesive between the two so you don't get and vibrations from there later...

So Sad when your truck gets totaled isn't it...man i'd be pissed ! If my sister did that i'd have some choice words (after i knew she was alright of course)

Old 04-29-2010, 02:33 PM
darthice
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
shoot if my sister was alright she would have to worry about me killing her for it but my sis is an idiot so she has an excuse

Old 04-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Raider50
Elder User
Luckily she was fine, the worst thing she did was hit her head when she undid the seatbelt. But there were quite a few choice words said because not 30 minutes earlier i told her to put it in 4 and lock in the hubs because it was slick out.

I almost hope it is a stick so i can use the screws and unscrew it in the future when i swap out the e4od for a zf5 or if i can figure out how a zf6.

But its a craigslist thing and the guy didnt put up a phone number and hasnt answered the email for almost 2 days. So this was just to conform a 150 could supply the parts.