Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Freshman User

jelzy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel fuel system

I have a 97 f250 power stroke. Does anyone know where I could get a fuel diagram that marks what all of the parts are? It has a mechanical pump just behind the fuel canister but I think there should be another pump somewhere else. Please help. This is my first diesel.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Senior User

Red97350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The pump behind the fuel canister is the only pump on the truck. I'm sure some others will be around to give you more info.

Red
Old 04-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Louisiana Chapter LDR

fordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud of
X2 that's the only one.
96 F350 CC ZF5 53k with grandpas package
Louisiana FTE Member Map
Old 04-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Freshman User

How do you check fuel pressure when it is a mechanical pump. I already know that it holds average fuel pressure while it is running. As it seems to starve itself and die the pressure goes down. It has a new fuel pump and fuel filter. The only way I can get it do run is by removing what I think is the main fuel line to atmosphere. When the fuel squirts out I can reconnect it and it will start right up and only run for a few minutes. At that time it is running rough. Do I have air in the system?
Old 04-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Louisiana Chapter LDR

fordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud of
look on the driver side of the fuel bowl you will see the FPR(fuel pressure regulatior) bolted to the side of the fuel bowl at the bottom of the FPR you wiil see a black cap that covers what looks like the vavle stem on a tire use a stick style tire gauge and check with the truck running or with someone turning it over you need atleast 25psi to run but you want 60to70psi.
Louisiana FTE Member Map
Old 04-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Postmaster

Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelzy View Post
How do you check fuel pressure when it is a mechanical pump. I already know that it holds average fuel pressure while it is running. As it seems to starve itself and die the pressure goes down. It has a new fuel pump and fuel filter. The only way I can get it do run is by removing what I think is the main fuel line to atmosphere. When the fuel squirts out I can reconnect it and it will start right up and only run for a few minutes. At that time it is running rough. Do I have air in the system?
Just for grins .. .. remove the gas caps on the filler necks and see if it runs.

1997 F250 HD CC 4x4 7.3L - E4OD - 3.55's
Napa 6637 - FPR Shim 3" Down Pipe & CD 203 Stat
Riffraff
HPX - Interceptor Scan Gauge - Cobalt Digital Pyro
Old 04-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Freshman User

Thanks I will try that tomorrow. I will let you know. What about air in the system?
Old 04-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Louisiana Chapter LDR

what Hussler is talking about is a bad gas cap not letting the tank breath and building a vacuum in the tank and cutting your fuel off.
Louisiana FTE Member Map
Old 04-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Postmaster

Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Thanks I will try that tomorrow. I will let you know. What about air in the system?
From what you are describing I would think YES. But if you could post a picture of the actual "what I think is the main fuel line to atmosphere" hose that would be very helpful also.

Riffraff
Old 04-23-2010, 08:11 PM
FOREIGN GURU

RÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I have a 97 f250 power stroke. Does anyone know where I could get a fuel diagram that marks what all of the parts are? It has a mechanical pump just behind the fuel canister but I think there should be another pump somewhere else. Please help. This is my first diesel.
WELCOME to the forum
I have this for you, maybe helps you:
Attached Images

96 F250, E40D, 2WD, 3.55, 145K. DIY intake-exhaust brake. DP 3-3.5" ceramic coated; HPX; GPR switch; Isspro gauges; shim FPR; Tru-cool; CCV mod; 4" SS exhaust; SS 5" tip; no cat; RacerX VB; TW 6p chip; 203*;140IDM;6.0IC; cristal clear lenses; fuel tank mod; AC cold mod; coolant filter.

«Primum non nosere» Drive safely !
Old 04-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Postmaster

Jose, my friend, that is a great diagram, I saved it for future reference.
Tried to rep ya but system won't let me.

Riffraff
Old 04-23-2010, 09:36 PM
FOREIGN GURU

RÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to behold
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
Jose, my friend, that is a great diagram, I saved it for future reference.
Tried to rep ya but system won't let me.

Thanks Jim, I know about the system, dont worry.
96 F250, E40D, 2WD, 3.55, 145K. DIY intake-exhaust brake. DP 3-3.5" ceramic coated; HPX; GPR switch; Isspro gauges; shim FPR; Tru-cool; CCV mod; 4" SS exhaust; SS 5" tip; no cat; RacerX VB; TW 6p chip; 203*;140IDM;6.0IC; cristal clear lenses; fuel tank mod; AC cold mod; coolant filter.

«Primum non nosere» Drive safely !
Old 04-24-2010, 12:48 AM
New User

Caruk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP View Post
I have this for you, maybe helps you:
THANK YOU! I am going to start integrating my transfer tank in to the fuel system tomorrow. That diagram is going to make my life much easier.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:48 AM