Notices

6.2 liter mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:49 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jokerforever
You can believe or not, but it did happen.

And yes we shouldn't be sending our money to other countries. I've spent too many years of my life in those damn countries. If you can't tell I'm active duty military. We should be using our own oil and you should be selling your corn to other countries with starving populations to bring money back it us.

But this isn't a political site and this is completely
I think your driving accounts for your mpg loss more than the 10-15% ethanol. I live in iowa, and have used the stuff in all my vehicles. I dont notice any change in mpg on day to day driving. Maybe 1-2 mpg on long hauls.

I get 17 in my sig truck running E10 in the summer, and 13-14 in the winter. Sounds like you have some bad experiances with it, but that doesnt me that what happend to you is the way it is in the real world.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:51 AM
jokerforever
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, if it hadn't happen to me I wouldn't believe it either. All I can do is tell you the truth.

I drove the same route there and back. I had the same weight in the car; me, the wife and the mother-in-law. The only variable was the gas in the tank. It ran 93 premium going there, 89 w/15% going home.

Now the 28 MPG I got there was a little higher than I normally get. I usually get around 25-26 highway. I was driving slower than I normally do, with the cruise set right at the speed limit, so that could have affected that but I drove the same exact way going home. There may have been something wrong with the gas that I got; old, left over winter blend, water contamination, etc. But the only difference that I can tell you for certain is that it was 89 w/15%. Like I said, all I can tell you is the truth. And the truth is the only difference was the gas in the tank.

The guy that I was responding to had a MPG drop with his truck. The drop he saw could very easily be accounted for with the gas he's running. And that was the only point that needs to be made here. I’ve seen similar drops in the MPG of my other vehicles using 10% and 15% but nothing bigger than this one time incident. My experience may have been an extreme case. Question my credibility all you want. The truth is the truth and I have no reason or desire to tell anything but that. Especially on a website to a bunch of people I'll never meet in real life.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:18 AM
boxcar_tommie22
Senior User
mpg in city is about 9.2-11mpg....

Old 12-05-2010, 12:00 PM
2010 Raptor guy 6.2L
New User
Originally Posted by 86F150302
it around there !! it the way you drive!! the only thing wrong is the gas tank is only 26 g!!

Old 12-06-2010, 12:30 AM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
Yeah, if it hadn't happen to me I wouldn't believe it either. All I can do is tell you the truth.

I drove the same route there and back. I had the same weight in the car; me, the wife and the mother-in-law. The only variable was the gas in the tank. It ran 93 premium going there, 89 w/15% going home.

Now the 28 MPG I got there was a little higher than I normally get. I usually get around 25-26 highway. I was driving slower than I normally do, with the cruise set right at the speed limit, so that could have affected that but I drove the same exact way going home. There may have been something wrong with the gas that I got; old, left over winter blend, water contamination, etc. But the only difference that I can tell you for certain is that it was 89 w/15%. Like I said, all I can tell you is the truth. And the truth is the only difference was the gas in the tank.

The guy that I was responding to had a MPG drop with his truck. The drop he saw could very easily be accounted for with the gas he's running. And that was the only point that needs to be made here. I’ve seen similar drops in the MPG of my other vehicles using 10% and 15% but nothing bigger than this one time incident. My experience may have been an extreme case. Question my credibility all you want. The truth is the truth and I have no reason or desire to tell anything but that. Especially on a website to a bunch of people I'll never meet in real life.
In my Tundra 5.7 with 2.5" lift, 112 lb brush guard, 4.30 gears, and 35s I saw 15.5 mpg on the highway from Alabama to KS. Week later, I saw 14.5 Nothing had changed except the time of the week.

In town it's embarassing around 10-maybe 11 if I can actually move the truck longer than a few 10ths of a mile.

As far as YOUR situation is concerned, I see a few things (and I"m a novice here).... speed, as you stated could be a cause for better gas mileage. I know my truck's mpg drops RAPIDLY over 75mph.

Secondly, octane rating. You might have seen better combustion using that 93 over the 89, as WELL as the fact that the car might not be rated for 89 (is it?? i don't know).

Third, that ethanol and winter blend. IMO, it sucks. As a consumer, it's not worth it. And, yes I agree keep the money in the country. My truck was built in the ole US of A. Engine adn transmission in Huntsville, Alabama, and just about everything else built in the US and then assembled in Texas. Only thing that went back to Japan was the money for desiging the truck. A lot of Americans were paid to build my truck and that makes me proud (even if it is a Japanese truck).

-rockstate

Old 12-06-2010, 01:33 PM
2010 Raptor guy 6.2L
New User
i know! i drove to my home town with out cruise and my friend drove back with cruise and i got a lot better fuel milege than he did!!

Old 12-10-2010, 07:59 AM
jokerforever
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstate45
As far as YOUR situation is concerned, I see a few things (and I"m a novice here).... speed, as you stated could be a cause for better gas mileage. I know my truck's mpg drops RAPIDLY over 75mph.

Secondly, octane rating. You might have seen better combustion using that 93 over the 89, as WELL as the fact that the car might not be rated for 89 (is it?? i don't know).

Okay, one more time, I drove with the cruise set at the same speed there and back--the limit, no matter what the limit was, I had my cruise set at it. There and back. I drove the same route, with the same speed limits, the same small towns and speed traps that I had to slow down for and had the same load in the car, me, the wife and the mother-in-law. Everything was the same except the fuel in the tank.

Yes, there was an octane difference. The owner's manual says that the car will have the best performance on premium fuel and that is what I run in it most of the time. It also says that it will run just fine on 87 too. When I was in Fargo I was running very low and had to get gas. I went to at least four different stations and the best that they all had was the 89 mixed. I know i could have found 93 in that town, I've done it before, but I was running on fumes and that was the best I could find. <O

And this is the problem. At times we are not given a choice. I needed to fill up with the best fuel available. And I paid a mileage penalty because the best was crap.<O

Now Rockstate, I don't believe you were being rude. You were just making a point. But I don't like how others have questioned my integrity on this thread. I was trying to help out Cattledog with an explanation for his slight mileage lost. Somehow this has been turned into several people's personal mission to poke holes in everything that I've said. I've been a mechanic for 20 years, I am a veteran of 2 wars, I am a husband and a father and I have no reason or desire to make myself into anything that I'm not. I will help out folks when I can, like I was doing with Cattledog, but I will not stand for being called a liar. This will be my last post on this thread. I am unsubscribing and modulators please feel free to erase my posts.<O

Old 12-10-2010, 12:01 PM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
Okay, one more time, I drove with the cruise set at the same speed there and back--the limit, no matter what the limit was, I had my cruise set at it. There and back. I drove the same route, with the same speed limits, the same small towns and speed traps that I had to slow down for and had the same load in the car, me, the wife and the mother-in-law. Everything was the same except the fuel in the tank.

Yes, there was an octane difference. The owner's manual says that the car will have the best performance on premium fuel and that is what I run in it most of the time. It also says that it will run just fine on 87 too. When I was in Fargo I was running very low and had to get gas. I went to at least four different stations and the best that they all had was the 89 mixed. I know i could have found 93 in that town, I've done it before, but I was running on fumes and that was the best I could find. <O

And this is the problem. At times we are not given a choice. I needed to fill up with the best fuel available. And I paid a mileage penalty because the best was crap.<O

Now Rockstate, I don't believe you were being rude. You were just making a point. But I don't like how others have questioned my integrity on this thread. I was trying to help out Cattledog with an explanation on his slight mileage lost. Somehow this has been turned into several people's personal mission to poke holes in everything that I've said. I've been a mechanic for 20 years, I am a veteran of 2 wars, I am a husband and a father and I have no reason or desire to make myself into anything that I'm not. I will help out folks when I can, like I was doing with Cattledog, but I will not stand for being called a liar. This will be my last post on this thread. I am unsubscribing and modulators please feel free to erase my posts.<O
Ah, nah, I agree with you. Just kind of pointing out some things that might help explain it. Granted this post was a few days ago, and I just got out of a 3 nad half hour test, so My brain is a bit fried.

Thanks for serving this country

-rockstate

Old 12-12-2010, 02:02 PM
wolf189
Senior User

same vehicle, same load, same speed, same route, but, going different directions... i've seen huge differences in mileage on the back-trip portion of many a roadtrip in comparison to the outbound leg (even when using the cruise control to maintain a consistent speed). Is there a difference in elevation between your Point A and Point B? (if you were descending the whole way out and then climbing the whole way back then that could skew the mileage a bit) Alternately/additionally, a strong headwind or tailwind can make a BIG difference in mileage.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:37 AM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
I guess I should add this....

I hit that same 900 mile trip and could barely get 13 mpg. Somehow once the heavy 20-25 mph winds died down, I was able to get abotu 15.

-rockstate

Old 01-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Second Super Duty
New User
I just bought my second F-250 Super Duty. My first one was a 2004 crew cab with 5.4L gas V8, 2WD. I had 134,00 miles on it and never had a problem with it and I got 16.9 miles per gallon.

So, I decidded to buy a new 2011 crew cab with the 6.2L engine. It has the FX-4 package and the same rear drive axle ratio as the 2004 (3.73). I am getting a dismal 12.9 MPG and I am very disapointed. In the literature from Ford they said that this engine was more efficent that the previous engine. I guessed that the 4WD would drop the milage to about 14.9 but I would be happy at this point with 13.9. I live in western Ohio and everything here is fairly flat and the only help I can get is a tail wind when going east.

In addition to the rotten mileage numbers, I have an intermitant probblem with the transmission shifting from 2nd gear to first when accelerating. This is a eye opener because all of a sudden you lose power and it feels like you have your foot on the brakes.

This is my 4th Ford truck and all have been trouble free and this one is the best looking one of all, but it is also the biggest disappointmment because I waited a year and a half to get it with the 6.2L GAS HOG.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:37 PM
2010 Raptor guy 6.2L
New User
hi got the raptor with the 6.2l give it time you will get better milige from it i got about 10 000km on it now and my mil is a lot better than the start

Old 01-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Second Super Duty
New User
I wish I had my 2004 F250 Back

I recently traded my 2004 F-250 Crew Cab for a 2011 F-250 FX4 Crew Cab. I was used to 16.9 MPG and was expecting that from the 2011 based on the Ford propaganda, and I quote from the 2011 Super Duty Brochure "As the new standard engine, this free- breathing Ford-built machine helps Super Duty achieve up to 15% BETTER FUEL ECONOMY than the previous base engine". I currently get 12.9 with no load or trailer. I wonder if the printing company got this wrong. Maybe it was supposed to say 15% less than the previous base engine.

I am not happy because I based my decision on my previious experience and the thought of getting better milage with the new engine.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:19 PM
2010 Raptor guy 6.2L
New User
you will!!! when fill up and check the mile to empty i usally got 450 to 550 with the 26g tank the last time i gast up was dec 30 and my milige to empty was 735 i never see that before so more you drive the better it get !!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:01 AM
KaiserM715
Senior User
I have been getting about 15 mpg on the hwy in my Raptor (running 70) using 87 octane. My last trip I got 15 on the dot and that was with my family and a bed full of stuff under the bed cover (no wind). I have about 7k on the clock.

Quick Reply: 6.2 liter mileage?