1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Radiator ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 04:05 PM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Radiator ?

Hey guys, I just put in a new radiator I ordered from Summit. I put the new tranny lines on filled her up with antifreeze and started her up to fill up the radiator when I noticed that the tranny lines were leaking. I tightened them up as much as possible and they still leaked so then I even went as far as to put some teflon tape on them and they are still leaking. Any ideas on what I can do/use to stop this? Thanks in advance...

Old 04-11-2010, 05:38 PM
fish-albuq
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similiar problem and it was that the fittings werent bottoming out. So i got a couple of brass washers and used them and i havent had a problem since.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:28 PM
tardster
Elder User
Originally Posted by fish-albuq
I had a similiar problem and it was that the fittings werent bottoming out. So i got a couple of brass washers and used them and i havent had a problem since.
I was wondering about using washers, just didnt know if I could use rubber or if I needed brass ones.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:23 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
It depends on what type of fitings you have, and let's hope what you have on both the tubing and in the radiator are compatable. Typically, they are flare and seat, like on brake lines. The flare on the tubing is designed to seal against the seat in the rad, and tightening the tube nut provides the pressure to create the seal. These are straight threads, like a nut and bolt, and no amount of tape will seal them. Only tapered thread pipe fittings will benefit from teflon tape.

So before we can give you any further advise on how to fix your problem, we need to know more about your application.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:39 PM
tardster
Elder User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
It depends on what type of fitings you have, and let's hope what you have on both the tubing and in the radiator are compatable. Typically, they are flare and seat, like on brake lines. The flare on the tubing is designed to seal against the seat in the rad, and tightening the tube nut provides the pressure to create the seal. These are straight threads, like a nut and bolt, and no amount of tape will seal them. Only tapered thread pipe fittings will benefit from teflon tape.

So before we can give you any further advise on how to fix your problem, we need to know more about your application.
52 merc, you called it. I didnt think to look inside the hole to see what fitting it needed. I took it for granted that it was a flared fitting and its not. So what should I use on them some type of a compression fitting?

Old 04-12-2010, 08:33 PM
dongc1
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On my radiator the fittings in the tank were pipe thread. I got adapters that screwed in and had the inverted flare on the other side to screw the lines into. O Reily's had them in the brass fitting dept. No leaks.