1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS light on and no trailer brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS light on and no trailer brakes

Towing my new fifth wheel home today I noticed that the ABS light had come on about 250 miles into the trip. We were stopping at a rest area so I took some time to check fuses and everything appears OK. I also noticed that the integrated trailer brake controller display showed the trailer connected, brake lights worked fine, but stepping on the brake pedal didn't cause the brake controller display to show any bars as if the trailer brakes weren't working. Using the manual trailer brake levers (squeeze them together) would actuate the trailer brakes just fine. Started down the road and the ABS light went out and then pressing the brake pedal caused the trailer brake controller to display the bars showing that the trailer brakes were working fine and I could tell that brakes were once again working. A little later the ABS light came back on and sure enough...the trailer brakes stopped working with the brake pedal. I did notice a few times that if I really pressed hard on the brake pedal that I'd see one or two bars on the controller display.

Any ideas?

thanks

Old 04-01-2010, 08:57 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you have a bad connection at the 3 ABS sensors or bad ABS sensors?

Check that first.. and if it checks.. then go further.

2 sensors are at front wheels, 1 at the rear in the "pumpkin" at the top.

Follow directions below to clean contacts.. check sensors.. see if that can get the ABS out of failure mode.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:14 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gearloose1
Do you have a bad connection at the 3 ABS sensors or bad ABS sensors?

Check that first.. and if it checks.. then go further.

2 sensors are at front wheels, 1 at the rear in the "pumpkin" at the top.

Follow directions below to clean contacts.. check sensors.. see if that can get the ABS out of failure mode.

Thanks, Gear...I found several TSBs regarding this and a few posts where folks had similar issues and the VSS needed to be replaced. I'll climb under it tonight and take a peek. I may just order a VSS to install as well.

thank you

Old 04-02-2010, 08:35 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
While you are at it... check the connections into the VSS

Post the TSB numbers or the TSBs if you can.. thanks.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Here's one that explains the diags for ABS light on, although it doesn't mention trailer brakes with the integrated brake controller I found a post on thedieselstop that had the same symptoms on an 06 and a VSS replacement cured it

06-7-6***ABS LIGHT ON AND POSSIBLE DTCS C1175, C1236, P0500, P0503

Link to the posts on the diesel stop...look at the bottom and find Cody315's posts

Old 04-02-2010, 10:17 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Biggziff
Here's one that explains the diags for ABS light on, although it doesn't mention trailer brakes with the integrated brake controller I found a post on thedieselstop that had the same symptoms on an 06 and a VSS replacement cured it

06-7-6***ABS LIGHT ON AND POSSIBLE DTCS C1175, C1236, P0500, P0503

Link to the posts on the diesel stop...look at the bottom and find Cody315's posts

Here is the real interesting part from that TSB:

If the vehicle has only DTC C1175 in the ABS module it is most likely caused by a wiring concern or a faulty sensor.
  1. Inspect the vehicle wiring for damage beginning at the rear wheel speed sensor connector and ending at the ABS module. Damage may be at any point in the wiring.
  2. Inspect for pinched looms, frayed terminal connections, loose pins, etc.
  3. Pay special attention to the wiring along the frame (especially if the vehicle has been modified from a body builder), and near the fuel tank.
  4. The speed sensor wiring begins at the rear axle and is routed along the frame rail on the left side of the vehicle. It then branches off at C140 (gas C133), which is located beneath the master cylinder. The wiring then goes to C455 at the ABS module.
  5. The wiring should not be loose, especially near the rear wheel speed sensor. Ensure that the wiring is properly retained and routed to eliminate intermittent speed signals. <table border="0"><tbody><tr><td width="80">NOTE:</td><td>USE A ZIP TIE TO SECURE THE HARNESS TO THE SENSOR SO THE PORTION OF THE HARNESS THAT IS COMING OFF OF THE BRAKE CABLE IS SUPPORTED.</td></tr></tbody></table>
  6. Repair wiring as necessary.

For quite some time, I have been thinking that Ford has got to greatly improve their electricals / wiring / electronics.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Yep...I'm going to go thru and put dielectric grease in as many connectors as I can access. I was thinking of selling this truck to get an 08 or 09 V10, but I think we'll just hang on to it for a while. I put about $1000 a year into it which is still wayyyyyy under what a used truck payment would cost.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Here's an update...ABS light is on...no codes in the ECU. Normal? Expected behavior?

Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Here's an update...ABS light is on...no codes in the ECU. Normal? Expected behavior?

Not all code readers read the ABS boxes...

You need one that specifically say it reads those codes.

If you want to be annoyed...

The ones that read Airbag codes.. extra $$$

Read extended Ford codes $$$$

Read diesel codes $$$$$

Need I go on?

Old 04-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gearloose1
Not all code readers read the ABS boxes...

You need one that specifically say it reads those codes.

If you want to be annoyed...

The ones that read Airbag codes.. extra $$$

Read extended Ford codes $$$$

Read diesel codes $$$$$

Need I go on?

LOL...makes sense!

Old 10-21-2020, 09:53 AM
Tom O
New User
Towing my new fifth wheel home today I noticed that the ABS light had come on about 250 miles into the trip. We were stopping at a rest area so I took some time to check fuses and everything appears OK. I also noticed that the integrated trailer brake controller display showed the trailer connected, brake lights worked fine, but stepping on the brake pedal didn't cause the brake controller display to show any bars as if the trailer brakes weren't working. Using the manual trailer brake levers (squeeze them together) would actuate the trailer brakes just fine. Started down the road and the ABS light went out and then pressing the brake pedal caused the trailer brake controller to display the bars showing that the trailer brakes were working fine and I could tell that brakes were once again working. A little later the ABS light came back on and sure enough...the trailer brakes stopped working with the brake pedal. I did notice a few times that if I really pressed hard on the brake pedal that I'd see one or two bars on the controller display.

Any ideas?

thanks
I know that the original post is 10 years old. But did you ever solve the problem? Our F450 is performing exactly the same way. Except, like yours, our problem started out intermittently and now our ABS light is always on.