Napa Gold Fuel Filter - Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 01:20 PM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts
Originally Posted by bulletpruf
Fellas -

Changed my fuel filter; pain in the butt to get the old one off. Had to use a strap wrench on it. Picked up a new filter from Napa - it's the "Gold" filter. Has a non-beveled gasket and also has a bolt head molded into the top. Should be pretty easy to remove; just need a crescent wrench. What fuel filters do y'all prefer? Is there a consensus on the best out there or are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks,

Scott
Wix are fine filters. Wix and Champion appear to make the majority of "house brand" filters for most stores.

The 33818 is not worth $45...

Wix 33818 & Napa 3818 Fuel Filter: FleetFilter Secure Store - Wix, Fram, Luber-Finer, Baldwin

I used donaldson's on mine, a little cheaper and donaldson usually is a little more transparent with the filter specs.

https://dynamic.donaldson.com/WebSto...l?item=1295763

Old 05-19-2015, 05:23 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
You can get Wix (air, oil, fuel filters) for $63 at Filter1.com with free shipping no tax.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:02 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,755 Posts
I haven't tried the Napa Gold, and I probably never will. I buy the factory Racor fuel filters by the case. Each filter comes shrink wrapped with a new bevel cut gasket and a new AquaBlock water shield.

I reuse the original lid, which opens and closes easily with a Navistar filter lid wrench (basically, a C shaped bent piece of metal with two slots on the flanges and a square socket hole in the center of the spine).

As everyone already knows, Racor designed the OEM fuel bowl and filter system, which is why I use and trust Racor filters. I've read of too many problems with aftermarket lids that have convenient detachment methods built in, but somehow fail in the sealing area, or crack apart from heat cycling of the cost cutting plastic. I'm not saying that Napa Gold is subject to these faults, but I did observe that Napa Gold its not the OEM design. Whether that was due to patent restrictions or some other reason, I don't know.

The factory system works reliably, and the bulk purchase of Racor filters appears to be the most economical way to maintain the factory fit.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:54 AM
gemniii
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I didn't do my usual research so I just bought and installed the NAPA gold.

My OEM style lid had a hole instead of a square for taking it off, looked like someone used an impact wrench.

Now my question is for those that use the NAPA filter if you are buying normally good fuel (interstate name brand truck stop, not Joe's Diesel that sell 100 gallons a year) how often do you change your fuel filters? 10K? More often?

On my engine oil I ran UAE's and found w/ T6 I was good for about 20,000 miles, probably because I drive 98% flat interstate at or below the speed limit.

I don't want to try and go 10K on this and find out it clogs at 8K.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:32 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use the motorcraft/bosh/Duralast filters on my vehicles and have not hay issues, the Duralast are Wix filters as well and the best thing is I get a nice discount on them (greater then 15% hehe )

Old 07-25-2015, 08:46 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
You can get air, oil and fuel filter for $60 at filter1.com. No tax & free shipping. They are Wix filters, that's who makes NAPA's. I changed my fuel filter every oil change. That is a good price and you have clean unrestricted fuel all the time.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:13 AM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts
Originally Posted by gemniii
Well I didn't do my usual research so I just bought and installed the NAPA gold.

My OEM style lid had a hole instead of a square for taking it off, looked like someone used an impact wrench.

Now my question is for those that use the NAPA filter if you are buying normally good fuel (interstate name brand truck stop, not Joe's Diesel that sell 100 gallons a year) how often do you change your fuel filters? 10K? More often?

On my engine oil I ran UAE's and found w/ T6 I was good for about 20,000 miles, probably because I drive 98% flat interstate at or below the speed limit.

OEM fuel filter interval is 15k, but that is on the 10 micron (98% efficiency) motorcraft, the 14 micron (50%) should have no trouble making it 15k.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:54 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,173 Posts

fuel filter is one of those things i usually forget about until the truck starts acting up. the napa gold filter currently in my 02 has been in there for around 30,000 miles now. i guess i should get another one and change it.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:13 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,755 Posts

The OEM lid doesn't have a square for taking it off. There is no socket wrench provision on the OEM lid. What you are reporting indicates that the filter you replaced was not an OEM filter. So your NAPA Gold selection could very well be an improvement over whatever you had in there before, even if the filter you removed was new.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:21 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used the NAPA Gold filter for about 60K miles = 4 changes, until I did the fuel bowl delete, and never had a problem.

My cousin now uses them on his F350 without issue...

Old 12-24-2015, 08:32 AM
RangeRider49
New User
No NAPA Gold For Me!

I had been using NAPA gold fuel and oil filters on my F350 6L diesel 2003 for over a decade and suddenly the truck wouldn't start! After towing to local shop for diagnosis and testing they found that the fuel filters were the problem. I had recently changed them and they weren't allowing the fuel bowl on top of the engine to properly fill! Frame fuel pump was fine. This shop and one other in my town both refuse to install NAPA Gold filters on Ford trucks because they have problems like the one I experienced. The shops say that in the last year, the NAPA filters have been having problems. I am opting for the Ford Motorcraft OEM filters from now on! Watch this video where it is explained why the NAPA Gold/Carquest filters are the worst on the market! Plus, I can get FORD filters for a fraction of the cost of the NAPA Gold ones!
Especially watch the comparison and explanation at about 6:35 into the video! I went to http://www.diesel-filters.com/ and got a good deal. http://www.diesel-filters.com/fd-461...s-fd-4604.html
Also, see post above by Y2KW57 on filter designs.

Last edited by RangeRider49; 12-24-2015 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Spelling add link
Old 12-24-2015, 08:39 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does this change pertain to the 6.0L only or is it relevant to the 7.3L also?

Old 12-25-2015, 08:30 AM
RangeRider49
New User
Yes for 6L & 7.3L

Yes, the video above is using a 6L diesel truck but would apply to 7.3 as far as I know! My local mechanics are referring specifically to Ford diesel engines as well as the guys in the video. Here are two more internet mechanics saying the same thing!

So each of us must decide if we feel lucky or not using after market filters. The preceding video mentions that some after market filters are okay but I won't trust them and will stick with OEM on my truck from now on!

Old 12-25-2015, 10:20 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,173 Posts
i would not believe anything the second video guy, powerstrokehelp.com dude says.
he is a hack and a legend in his own mind. his sole purpose in life is making useless videos full of BS that promote his shop.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:33 AM
RangeRider49
New User
Maybe

Okay he does seem a little over the edge to me but I see the relevance of what he is saying. He seems to be agreeing with the other two Ford shop techs on the filter issue. I realize that the two Ford shop techs are promoting Ford products obviously but yet they do make valid points that I have just discovered from personal experience regarding filter design and performance. The proper filtration of fuel and oil are crucial on these diesel trucks with turbo and I have experienced first hand filter failure leading to a no start condition which cost me $435 for towing, diagnosis, labor and parts. I am done with NAPA oil and fuel filters for that reason. I can tell you that the NAPA Filtration Sales rep in my region (Colorado) refers to any negative information about NAPA filters as internet 'propaganda'. I have filed paper work with NAPA to get reimbursed for the costs of their fuel filter failure. I do not work for Ford. BTW, you can buy new Motorcraft fuel filter kits for about $40 online and get some cheap insurance.

Last edited by RangeRider49; 12-25-2015 at 10:36 AM. Reason: add comment

Quick Reply: Napa Gold Fuel Filter - Good or Bad?