1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-12-2014, 12:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

FUBAR Rear Brake Caliper Removal (Pics Inside) ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:34 PM
98SurplusExpy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry FUBAR Rear Brake Caliper Removal (Pics Inside) ...

So I had to remove my rear brake calipers and figured it would be a straight forward deal. Removed the wheels, removed the two small bolts at the slide shafts, and expected the calipers to lift right off. They didn't ..

I finally figured out that the two "nibs" that Ford found necessary to put on the back of the brake pads were not allowing the caliper pistons to clear the pads. Two options ... C-Clamp to compress the pistons or pry bar. Well, I didn't have a C-Clamp that big so I chose the pry bar.

First one came out with just some minor cuts on the caliper piston surface. Second one required a bit more effort & the process took a hunk out of the caliper piston surface (where it meets the pad).

Take a look at the pic ... does this = Reman Caliper? Or, can I just run this way?

Old 03-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'd be worried about that piston cracking.. esp under heat..

i'd go with a new caliper at this point just for peace of mind.

p.s. next time try to have someone pumping the brakes on and off while u tap on teh caliper with the bolts off..it would prolly have helped loosen it up to the point you could have just removed it.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I'm with the fanatic on this one.

It's damaged. Bad engine parts may leave you stranded, bad brakes can kill you.

Replace it!

Old 03-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tisk tisk, a c-clamp is less expensive than a new caliper.........

Old 03-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Rugby3
Elder User
I'd go with a new caliper as well. When I pull my brakes I just remove both the caliper and mounting bracket at the same time. Then separate them once their off.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:42 PM
akford351
Posting Guru
Yes a new caliper is in order.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:07 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
New Calipers, party of 2, your table is ready.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:54 AM
sjgordo
Junior User
C-Clamp $6.99, breaking caliper W/O proper tools = Priceless

Parts List
(1) Caliper
(2) C-Clamp!!!!!

Old 03-27-2010, 07:36 AM
nitrogen
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts
lets see now all you really needed was enough clearance to slide caliper and pads off the rotor. why did you use so much force. a gentle pry, even a med/large flat screwdriver between the rotor and pad will do the job. once the caliper is off you have all kinds of room to remove the pads

Old 03-27-2010, 07:48 AM
98SurplusExpy
Senior User
Originally Posted by nitrogen
lets see now all you really needed was enough clearance to slide caliper and pads off the rotor. why did you use so much force. a gentle pry, even a med/large flat screwdriver between the rotor and pad will do the job. once the caliper is off you have all kinds of room to remove the pads
The calipers wouldn't come off ... even though the service manual said to not pry against the piston, I did try that ... but it still would not clear the metal "nib" (which I was not expecting to be there).

Of all the brakes I've ever did, the back of the pads have always been smooth. I was not expecting a metal spike to be there, my best guess was it was being held in by corrosion and a "pry" would free it. I have a clamp for installing calipers; never had to use anything to remove one.

Nonetheless ... off to the parts store I go.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:57 PM
yankeezulu
New User
Had the same problem. Always change the brakes on all my trucks myself. Have a 2006 Ford F250, bought it 14 mths ago. Brakes have been fine. Just had it inspected last month.

This past week I noticed the brakes were dragging when I wasnt on the brakes, and weren't when I was on the brakes.

First time I've had to do the brakes on this truck.

Take off the passenger side rear, and the top of the piston is broken away like in your pic. Only in more spots. Like teeth.

Take off the driver side and the piston looks like someone smashed it with a sledgehammer.

On both it was the bottom piston - opposite the OP's.

Got on here to see who else has had this problem because I have never heard of or seen a piston just destroyed like this.

I don't abuse my trucks. Just for my construction business and farm. Pull some trailers (farm tractors, bobcat) once in awhile. Nothing extreme. Same as I do other trucks. This is the only one that the piston just crumbled.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:43 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Bahh, I did the same thing to my Jeep WITH a C-Clamp.

On my Jeep though, it only took enough off that it put a small chamfer on the outside edge. Didn't go all the way through like yours. I'd replace yours before driving it.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:21 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
I always use a small flat board between the clamp and the caliper when I do mine. Ford owners watch out when you try to compress calipers.....you need a special tool (free for use at Auto Zone (with refundable deposit). The caliper has to be rotated and pressed in at the same time!!!

Old 10-08-2010, 07:48 PM
84deisel
here sometimes
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have never rotated the caliper piston to retract nor use any special tool. On the caliper removal , I use a small but strong screwdriver and pry between the outboard pad and the rotor. These trucks do not use a screw type piston so no special tools required.Once the caliper is off ,I clamp the brake line and open the bleeder and use a large channel locks with the old pad on the pistons.Sometimes a c-clamp is needed but most times not. The reason for clamping the line and opening up the bleeder is that the old fluid and contaminates are not forced back into the system. One major thing I do is to make sure the pad is greases with caliper lube were it contacts the hardware because if the pads dont move freely, the slides will lock up and it will eat up one side of the pad. With over 40 trucks in our fleet (mostly plow only trucks average 500-600 miles per year) I go through the brakes every fall.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:34 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
What are you doing with contaminants in your brake fluid? You're probably doing more damage by crushing pressure lines than by pushing fluid back through the system... If you're that sure that the fluid is bad, just replace the caliper and bleed it until clear.

The easiest way to compress calipers is to just use the old pads as a press block, and then compress with the c-clamp.

Quick Reply: FUBAR Rear Brake Caliper Removal (Pics Inside) ...