1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 F-350 Diesel problems with hauling

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:16 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by barrel racer
To answer sdetweil, no it is not the engine surging. The dealer hooked up his computer and rode with me to make sure of that himself. No, this is a physical reaction that occurs in the truck, especially when hitting a bump. Some people have told me that it is the truck bottoming out on the overload springs and that causes a reaction between the trailer and truck. Kind of like they are fighting one another. It quiet's down quickly, especially if I take my foot off the accelerator. But it can really jerk you around, especially if you're on a potholed dirt road. Hope that helps describe the situation. I called it surging, others call it bucking.

thank you.. that is VERY helpful to me.. neither bucking or surging.

that sounds to me like the typical gooseneck pin overload bottoming out feedback feeling.

Sam

Old 03-29-2010, 01:18 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dchamberlain
I don't think you've got too much trailer for the truck. But it does seem like you could have a load balance problem.

What I would do is this. First, find a truck scale. Weigh and record the front and rear axle of the truck empty. Then hook up the trailer and load the truck and trailer as you normally would. Weigh the front and rear axle of the truck, and the trailer axles. Find out how much weight you are adding to the front and rear axle of the truck. Either too much or not enough could be causing your problems.

Also, how much air pressure are you putting in your truck and trailer tires?
or, weigh it with your load.. and then later without..

sam

Old 03-29-2010, 06:11 PM
1984F-150_351HO
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to agree with you, I drive big trucks and from that description I'd say he's overloading the rear axle. I'm not an expert on equestrian trailers, and I'm sure it doesn't have a slide axle, so I'd say try and load more of your gear at the tail end over the wheels if possible. Its probably a trailer weight distribution problem.

I recall a time when I had dumped my air bags (removed all air pressure) to get under a really low trailer and forgot to recharge the air supply to them and had a similar noise and bucking problem occur until I realized that the bags were deflated. Lucky I only went about a mile.

I know you installed airbags in your truck, does it have a self leveling valve? is it adjustable? What is the pressure setting? Try and see if you can adjust it for a higher ride height without exploding the bags. Sounds a lot like the bags can't handle the weight, check to be sure you have the right bags. Also check your rear shocks (if you have them) and any steel springs for any cracks or noticeable sagging. Check all the nuts and bolts as well, especially that 5th wheel or goose-neck ball.

if you could take a picture of your suspension and post it with, and without the trailer attached. I'd like to see how much the suspension is dropping.

Last edited by 1984F-150_351HO; 03-29-2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: grammer error.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:53 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
here is my wt ticket, shows per axle and total. That is what you want to do.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:14 PM
capn kirk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It almost sounds like there is too little weight on the pin. Too little weight would cause it to lift which could create "bucking/surging feeling". 16000lb trailer a 3000lb tongue weight could be the ticket up from your 2500 estimate.

Try This- Hook-up the trailer and load it so that there is more pin weight and give it a shot. Then load it so there is less pin weight and give it a shot.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:55 PM
1984F-150_351HO
Mountain Pass
I agree with Kirk; also go to the scale at each try and see how much weight your really putting on the rear axle and check it with your door sticker. Just as Kirk pointed out; too little could cause it to pull up, but I also stated that too much will have a similar effect bottoming out the suspension with a lot of tongue weight.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:06 AM
ciscofreak
Tuned
You have to remember that horse trailers axles are set WAY back for a smoother ride for the horses so the tongue weight is going to be quite a bit more than you think. I'd definitely get it on a scale.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:25 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 665 Likes on 425 Posts
See I was thinking the same as Capn Kirk. What he's describing to me sounds like it's pushing and lifting from too little pin weight. I've had that happen to me with bumper pulls that were loaded heavy to the rear and it's a nasty experience.

But I didn't want to say that without seeing actual weights. Without actual weights we're just guessing. It's true that many horse and stock trailers are set with the tandems far to the rear, but I've seen some that aren't that way also.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:06 AM
barrel racer
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think weighing the truck/trailer is best bet and I have not had a chance to do that yet. Once I do that, what kind of weight distribution am I looking for? If there is a possibility of too little weight, then how do I know what the weight distribution "should" be?

As to the level on the airbags. They are adjusted by a console panel control. There is no self leveling. I have tried everything from 40# to 90#. As the dealer bought them for me, I hope they are the correct bags.

Thanks

Old 03-31-2010, 05:16 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
If you check my gallery under new 5th wheel you can see my cat scale ticket. I am running around 5200 front 5600 rear and then over 10K trailer axles. Something like that and for me that is pretty stable with a srw truck.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:34 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2005-07 Bucking/Jerking when Towing:
Trucks that exhibit a bucking/jerking sensation at steady speeds in tow/haul when towing large/heavy gooseneck trailers that typically goes away when the accelerator is completely released or depressed fully, and does not occur when using the cruise control, may be caused by movement of the driver's foot after hitting a bump in the road or triansmission upshift in combination with the particular trailer load. There is a revised computer program to make the computer less sensitive to minute accelerator pedal inputs. If reprogramming does not resolve the issue, the problem may be due to the hitch, the trialer or the loading of the trailer. TSB #07-6-9.

See if this helps.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:30 PM
BIG BLUE BEAST
Freshman User
just a thought i have to turn the traction control off when towing my big bob-cat. if i don't i get that bucking- surge. and a few times i saw the low traction warning flash.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:27 PM
capn kirk
Posting Guru
the low traction flash was probably a result of the trailer lifting the rear allowing the rear tires to slip a little

Old 04-01-2010, 05:16 PM
barrel racer
Freshman User
Hey Gearloose1, where did you find that quote about the bucking/jerking being associated with the drivers foot on the accelerator.

News for today: I hooked up to a friends Hart trailer yesterday. That trailer was 18,500# GVWR and I had no issues with hauling it. No buck, so surge, no jerking. Just smooth hauling.

Still need to get over to the scales and will try to do that tomorrow. Had my purse stolen yesterday with all of my money, driver's license, credit card, etc. etc. etc. What a pain. Kind of took the wind out of my sails for the day.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:27 PM
capn kirk
Posting Guru
that can be a big buzz kill but it definitely sounds like you either need more or less weight towards the front of the trailer

Quick Reply: 2008 F-350 Diesel problems with hauling