Regiomus
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great info

Old 05-27-2014, 07:11 PM
PDX_350
Junior User
First start of truck after 3G install the belt was squealing and actually started smoking. I thought the alt was bad. I tripped the circuit breaker I have between the alt and the truck and started it up again. Not one little bit of squeal so I figured it was probably not bearings but load related. I checked to make sure I didn't have any wires out of sorts creating a short or excessive draw but no dice.

I was about to pull the alt for a test and thought I would do some reading and see if others were having problems with a squealing single v-belt. After some digging I found someone that suggested putting a touch of grease (I used dialectric) on the belt and run without a load for a few minutes. He stated it would help the belt settle deeper in the pulley. I thought to myself how counter-intuitive it is to grease something that is slipping but thought what the heck.

I put a small pea size spot of the grease on my finger tip and rubbed it on the belt areas that I could get to and ran it for a few without load. When I engaged the breaker you could tell there was a load but absolutely no squeal, slip or other odd behavior.

I guess there is significantly more drag on a high output alt. A single v-belt with the stock pulley off the old alt is probably the high end of what the belt can manage. I think some time in the future I will look for the two belt serpentine Ford setup in the salvage yard.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:16 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
Yes the 3G puts a big load on the single belt. Keeping it tight and lubricated is the solution to the squeal.

There are billet aluminum pulleys available to run dual belts. But there $$$

Old 05-27-2014, 08:31 PM
highoctane74
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PDX_350
First start of truck after 3G install the belt was squealing and actually started smoking. I thought the alt was bad. I tripped the circuit breaker I have between the alt and the truck and started it up again. Not one little bit of squeal so I figured it was probably not bearings but load related. I checked to make sure I didn't have any wires out of sorts creating a short or excessive draw but no dice.

I was about to pull the alt for a test and thought I would do some reading and see if others were having problems with a squealing single v-belt. After some digging I found someone that suggested putting a touch of grease (I used dialectric) on the belt and run without a load for a few minutes. He stated it would help the belt settle deeper in the pulley. I thought to myself how counter-intuitive it is to grease something that is slipping but thought what the heck.

I put a small pea size spot of the grease on my finger tip and rubbed it on the belt areas that I could get to and ran it for a few without load. When I engaged the breaker you could tell there was a load but absolutely no squeal, slip or other odd behavior.

I guess there is significantly more drag on a high output alt. A single v-belt with the stock pulley off the old alt is probably the high end of what the belt can manage. I think some time in the future I will look for the two belt serpentine Ford setup in the salvage yard.

My Alt squeals for about 10 seconds every time I start my truck. I haven't heard that trick with the grease before I will try it.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:39 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by highoctane74
My Alt squeals for about 10 seconds every time I start my truck. I haven't heard that trick with the grease before I will try it.
Yeah squealing at startup is common. That's when the alt is turning on and charging hard.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:45 PM
psychlopath
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
But there $$$
There are cheap ones, if you aren't picky.

Powermaster Part pow112 - Chrome Pulley - - 4 Wheel Parts

Napa has some as well, but it took me a while to find a part number and that was years ago. E-bay is a source as well.

Just be sure that both belts go to rows on the crank pulley that are the same size or at least one of the belts will be slipping at all times, no matter how you lube or tighten them. Or...rather, however you decide to drive the belts, make sure they have the same ratio.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:49 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
The alternator pulleys are relatively easy to find, the water pump and crank pulleys are the hot ticket.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:15 AM
PDX_350
Junior User
Yes the 3G puts a big load on the single belt. Keeping it tight and lubricated is the solution to the squeal.

Yea, and I have A/C so all three slots on the crank are in use, can't recall if i've ever seen a 4 slot, and re-aligning everything would be a PITA. That's why I was thinking the two belt serpentine setup, some adjustments needed but a donor vehicle should have everything.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:52 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Yea, I kinda feel sorry for you guys that have a/c p/s and air pumps. I've got a water pump and alternator. One groove, one belt.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:53 AM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
With a squealing belt check for unwanted initial draw .. Get in the habit of making sure all accessories are turned off .. Make sure you don't have something that is discharging the battery while the vehicle is sitting .. It may be never enough to notice because you start it frequently but certainly enough to discharge the battery to a point where on the next start up there is significant draw on the alternator ..

Old 05-29-2014, 08:50 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

I,v got dual v-belts on my 3g. V-belts should seat deeply into the groove rather than on top of it.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:24 PM
Jchet729
Laughing Gas
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
saving as a reference if internet service allows

Old 08-27-2014, 02:22 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Jchet729
saving as a reference if internet service allows
This thread is included in the tech thread compilation sticky of this forum:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14213910

Old 11-04-2014, 12:05 AM
Smirks90
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
grounding

do i need to have a grounding terminal on the back of the alternator? when i put a bolt in that threaded hole it sticks out to far and hits the block. preventing the alternator from fitting into the brackets. won't the mounting to the block be enough?

Old 11-04-2014, 12:34 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Smirks90
do i need to have a grounding terminal on the back of the alternator? when i put a bolt in that threaded hole it sticks out to far and hits the block. preventing the alternator from fitting into the brackets. won't the mounting to the block be enough?
One hole is not threaded... it's the pivot hole. The threaded boss is what mounts on the alternator bracket .

If the bolt is too long, trim it.

No separate ground wire....the alt grounds thru the case and mounting bolt.

Quick Reply: just did a 3g upgrade