Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

My new return line kit is already leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:59 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
My new return line kit is already leaking

I could smell fuel at the front of the truck, popped the hood and sure enough, the front most passenger side one is wet. All of the others are bone dry.

A few days before I bought the truck, the previous owner snapped a plastic cap and replaced it before I got there. He did the entire passenger side. He cross threaded the fuel line onto the top of that exact injector. When I did my return line kit, I very carefully got the threads lined back up and installed the fuel line properly onto the top of that injector. I believe the line could be suspect.

What size o-rings do you guys buy from McMaster-Carr? Viton is the only way to go, right? Do you think the cap could be junk already because they're not as substantial as the ones from Ford?

Old 03-22-2010, 10:08 PM
jmmartin
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just changed mine out about 2 weeks ago. install kit from Pensacola and Viton #111 o-rings from McMaster. With shipping included it was about 10.50 for the o-rings. about $6 for 50 the rings and and $4.50 shipping, Ordered Sunday night, they were here wednesday evening. I think you should give new rings a try. Remember to use vasoline to coat them before you snap the cap down.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:21 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Did you buy the #111 Viton Fluoroelastomer o-rings with a durometer rating of hard? $6.11 per pack of 50.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:31 AM
jmmartin
Elder User
10-4 thats the ones

Old 03-23-2010, 07:37 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Just placed the order. Free shipping!

Old 03-23-2010, 07:38 AM
jmmartin
Elder User
lol, must be nice.... But, they are fast, so to me it was worth the 4.50. and i am close enough to atlanta, that it only made 2 stops before it was delivered.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:40 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
I used to have an account with them when I worked for a robotics company in the north east. I could place an order before 5 or 6pm and it would be at our work the following morning. Free shipping. Too bad I don't still have that account number.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:49 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mechelement I also belive the quality of the T's we get aftermarket has gone downhill.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What hasn't lost quality!

The cheaper it's made, the more $$$'s in the MFG's pocket, the more they sell, the faster their pockets fill!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 03-23-2010, 12:06 PM
swooshcmk
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are the o-rings supplied in the kits pretty cheap that you're buying different ones? By all means if the kit supplied ones are crapola this is good timing as I"ll be doing my fuel return line in a few weeks when I complete my swap. I was going to be placing an order with McMaster today or tomorrow anyways!

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2010, 12:57 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
I'm starting with these viton o-rings because I don't know if the o-rings supplied in the kit were viton, to try the least expensive fix first and if they work, eliminate the cross threading cause and cap warpage cause of leakage.

I assume I could still buy caps from Ford and they'll be of superior quality to the aftermarket caps I bought. I'm willing to buy one Ford cap to fully dimension and then machine caps out of aluminum or stainless steel. Perhaps a cap made out of metal will weigh more and not jiggle around and cause leaks. I'm tired of buying garbage.

Does anyone know how hot those injectors get when the motor is running?

Old 03-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They get pretty hot, I've never stuck a gun on them to see though.

To machine them out of billet would take some pretty fancy machining and or machine unless of course you weld em up.

I found boiling them before installation HOT helps.

Don't know what that may do to longevity though.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 03-23-2010, 02:36 PM
rodneywar
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mechelement
I'm starting with these viton o-rings because I don't know if the o-rings supplied in the kit were viton, to try the least expensive fix first and if they work, eliminate the cross threading cause and cap warpage cause of leakage.

I assume I could still buy caps from Ford and they'll be of superior quality to the aftermarket caps I bought. I'm willing to buy one Ford cap to fully dimension and then machine caps out of aluminum or stainless steel. Perhaps a cap made out of metal will weigh more and not jiggle around and cause leaks. I'm tired of buying garbage.

Does anyone know how hot those injectors get when the motor is running?
Thats a great idea plastic ones are crap let us know if you machine them outta metal i would like to know if it will work and will be better!!

Old 03-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I went through the same thing, new o-rings leaking 2 months after installation. I got the viton rings from MC and haven't had any leakage yet.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:59 AM
Lead_Pusher
Senior User
I also had the same thing replaced caps and rings a week later replaced the rings with motorcrafts from ford. No more problems if I need to replace again I'll try the vitons.

Quick Reply: My new return line kit is already leaking