6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

High Pressure Oil galley removal?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Mihylo33
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Pressure Oil galley removal?????

Last week my truck ('05' 6.0 PS) died while under load. I already had a hot start issue and was getting ready to do thegalley seals. Anyway I did the air pressure test and found that the passenger side rear injector o-ring was blown out.
How do I remove this oil galley with that tube running out of the bottom of it??
The Haynes manual I have is pretty useless and seems to be made with the oil change and basic lube tech in mind. Is there a better manual available someplace?
Thanks.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:03 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Look in the tech folder of this section there are some great pdf's that cover way more than the hanes will.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Mihylo33
Senior User
Yeah I did look around quite a bit before posting....I'm kind of surprised there isn't a manual available here or atleast a link since this seems to be a common problem

Old 05-02-2010, 07:53 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
manuals are copyright meterial. unless someone had rights to publish it there could be issues. if you need a book you can buy them on dvd off ebay.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:54 PM
adamtheman16
Senior User
Before you remove the rail, double check to make sure the oil is coming from the rail o-ring area and not the injector drain port it self. Also check the case-to-head tube area to make sure the leak isn't there either. You said it was the back injector. So you probably checked correctly.

After removal of the oil rail bolts, the case-to-head tube is just o-ringed on both ends. One end fits into the branch tube down below, and the other end fits into the adapter piece that is threaded into the oil rail (you can see the allen part on top that removes it from the rail). The tube is a 2 piece design with a long piece that just pushes into the branch tube and the adapter. The short piece (the thread in adapter), threads into the rail and does not require removal to remove the rail. The long piece is usually a bit tough to remove from the rail. Usually the long piece comes out of the branch tube before it comes out of the rail, but to remove the rail, it is easiest to remove the long piece from the rail first. If you have the rail off the injectors with the long piece still attached, try and get the long tube to pull out of the rail.

Inspect the o-ring o the injector to be sure it is the o-ring that is bad. I'm not sure if you can find that replacement o-ring.Others on the forum may know. If not, a new injector comes with one. The next most likely thing to leak is the injector itself, blowing oil pressure through it and not keeping the rail pressure up. That requires injector replacement. Another problem if the o-ring does not look damaged, is the puck that is threaded into the rail and connects the rail to the injector. Those have been known to leak, but much much less frequently.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:57 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Adam has it covered better than me--LOL. The top injector o-ring is now available from Alliant but is a biotch to change. Unless Ford has changed it the stand pipe must be changed when it is removed also----that is the long tube that sticks vertically in through the head.

Still sounds like an STC fitting to me.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:59 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

being that its not a starting issue when hot and dies going down the road I would also vote stc issue.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Mihylo33
Senior User
OK cool. I wasn't sure about the tube and if I was able to remove it or not. A friend of mine showed me how to find the leak using air pressure. He's a heavy truck mechanic and said this is a common problem with Internationals. There was a no start when hot issue previous to this.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:09 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

What was done to resolve the hot no start issue?

Old 05-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Mihylo33
Senior User
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
What was done to resolve the hot no start issue?
Nothing. I was going to work on it next week but the truck died before that.... I did check the pressure before opeing her up and it was a whopping 135PSI and I had to crank it a long time to get that.....

Old 05-02-2010, 08:21 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Wow--after watching that video I'd be replacing that o-ring or injector before tearing into the HPOP too. A much simpler fix for sure IF that's all the problem.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:48 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

thats going to be the oring under between the coil and body is my guess. check and see if the tops of the coil bolts are still there or if they broke off.
if they are missing you will need to try and find them before they make it threw the lpop.

that concern is normally ccaused by low fuel pressure. or so tech support claims.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:19 AM
Mihylo33
Senior User
Originally Posted by cheezit
thats going to be the oring under between the coil and body is my guess. check and see if the tops of the coil bolts are still there or if they broke off.
if they are missing you will need to try and find them before they make it threw the lpop.

that concern is normally ccaused by low fuel pressure. or so tech support claims.
coil bolts???? I have no idea what those are. Are they located below the hp oil galley?
I was just going to replace all the O-rings in there and go do the other side while I have it apart. Is there an o-ring kit for this? Someone mentioned having to replace the injectors because of the o-rings there. Is that true?

Old 05-03-2010, 05:25 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Mihylo33
coil bolts???? I have no idea what those are. Are they located below the hp oil galley?
I was just going to replace all the O-rings in there and go do the other side while I have it apart. Is there an o-ring kit for this? Someone mentioned having to replace the injectors because of the o-rings there. Is that true?
There is a tiny bolt that holds the spool valve coils together and the coils retain the spool valve in the injector. If you break one the spool valve can slide out and you could be blowing HP oil there. There are no replacement parts for injectors unless you happen to have a spare. Until very recently there were no o-rings available for the tops of the injector until Alliant came out with the 6.0 kit listed here: Industrial Diesel Engine Replacement Parts Dealer, Aftermarket Rebuild & Overhaul Kit Systems Supplier

Old 05-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Mihylo33
Senior User
OK thanks. I'm just trying to about the right way of fixing this rather than 1/2 assing it.
Would it be better to replace all the injectors??? I've never seen one go bad in my entire life and I hang around alot of motor heads and truckers.

Quick Reply: High Pressure Oil galley removal?????