1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Starter keeps turning with key off

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,685 Likes on 1,361 Posts
I tell people to try a different brand, and that seems to work most of the time.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:53 PM
fordmanjoe1987
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a buddy that told me his mustang starter wouldnt stop turning out, not saying anyone here is this stupid and i dont want anyone to think that, but he had the starter cable on the same side as the battery main power cable.....just checking

Old 08-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Fordziller
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a switch mounted on the steering colum that sends control power to the fender mounted relay. It is operated by a small rod comming from the key switch. If the linkage to the switch or the switch itself is malfunctioning it may be sending a constant signal to the fender mounted relay instead of only when the key is in the start position. This happened on my 82 and it was the linkage.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Fordziller
Freshman User
Sorry, wrong thread. My bad.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Fordziller
Freshman User
OK right thread, my bad again.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:25 PM
WoodHeat
Junior User
I had this same problem shortly after getting my truck. Replacing the solenoid fixed it for me as well.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:24 PM
thebeastof1980
Junior User
I see this as common problem. It seems that the relays arc and weld the contacts together then even when start signal is deenergized it continues cranking. I would start by doing a load test on cables from battery to starter and ground back though block to battery If you have access to a delco remy intelicheck it is great tool. It will tell you if have voltage drops in negative or positive side. You might try running another ground to the fender also . And it could simply be cheap aftermarket solenoids. I always recommend oem on electrical parts. There is difference. Good luck.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:36 PM
hkyler123
New User
Ok I finally figured it out when I put in the solenoid the springs thing on the end was.compressed bridging the connection causing it to constantly ground out thanks for your help everyone I really appreciate it.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:37 PM
Troy nix
New User
Key in off but still cranking

Did anyone hear arking when the starter relay failed

Old 09-27-2017, 06:10 AM
truckertrav
Elder User
Originally Posted by Troy nix
Did anyone hear arking when the starter relay failed
I did not hear anything out of the ordinary when mine went out. After several times of replacement, I ran extra grounds to the fender,chassis and engine. No problem after 3 years.

I was having the problem on a regular basis prior to the grounds.
Good Luck to you

Old 10-28-2017, 12:14 AM
James Wagoner
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by truckertrav
I did not hear anything out of the ordinary when mine went out. After several times of replacement, I ran extra grounds to the fender,chassis and engine. No problem after 3 years.

I was having the problem on a regular basis prior to the grounds.
Good Luck to you
Looks like I am the next victim. Got a Blue Streak on the recommendation from my auto parts store, guy has been running in his bronco for years.

You saying you ran extra grounds from the starter relay ground terminal?

Old 10-28-2017, 05:29 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,108 Likes on 1,796 Posts
Originally Posted by James Wagoner
Looks like I am the next victim. Got a Blue Streak on the recommendation from my auto parts store, guy has been running in his bronco for years.

James, What I think he meant was he ran a ground wire from batt. to fender, batt. to frame, batt. to motor.

My 81 F100 300 six it has the neg. batt. cable from batt. to the frame then down to a starter bolt. All 1 cable from the factory. This covers the frame & motor side.

Then it has a 6 or 8 gauge cable from the motor to the firewall to cover the body side. (no picture)

Ground tab for frame

Bolted to starter

Dave ----

Old 10-28-2017, 07:52 AM
truckertrav
Elder User
Originally Posted by James Wagoner

Just make sure the ground is good to the starter solenoid on the fender. Sometimes it doesn't ground good thru the paint.

That is why I ran an extra ground to the fender,etc.

Probably an overkill, but it worked... Trav

Old 10-29-2017, 03:03 AM
James Wagoner
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Forgot to circle back around to this thread. I swapped back to the original but still took the proper replacement from the parts store to have in my parts shelf.

Originally Posted by truckertrav
Just make sure the ground is good to the starter solenoid on the fender. Sometimes it doesn't ground good thru the paint.
I did just that, scraped off the pantin and fine grit sanded the fender wall mount. Seems to have fix it (along with sanding on the contacts and eyelets).

Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
My 81 F100 300 six it has the neg. batt. cable from batt. to the frame then down to a starter bolt. All 1 cable from the factory. This covers the frame & motor side.

Then it has a 6 or 8 gauge cable from the motor to the firewall to cover the body side.
I was mistaken about the other side of the starter relay being a ground. I see the ground from my battery goes to the block but haven't looked on from there. I will have to trace the grounds for my 460 for my own knowledge.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:18 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
BEST option is this mod - PMGR Starter Wiring - ???Gary's Garagemahal - uses a starter with a REAL (separately wired) solenoid, and re-assigns the fender relay to what it should have been all along - relaying power to the solenoid, so it's not needing to carry the full current of the starter motor. There's a reason later Ford vehicles are wired this way.

Quick Reply: Starter keeps turning with key off