1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Lets see your truck RIGHT now

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 11:12 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by BigMikeV
TopMoo, I can't claim the paint, it was on there when I bought her. I will be sanding most of it down, it was painted in someones garage. lots of sheet metal to smooth out, but i'll cover my work with rattle can so I can make it out on the road in the spring. (hopefully my SBC top end rebuild will go smoothly) My focus this winter is drivetrain and i'll get to the body next winter.
Well, you have just helped me to decide on my paint. If that's a rattle can job, and it looks that good, I may have just saved a ton of money.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:06 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
Well, you have just helped me to decide on my paint. If that's a rattle can job, and it looks that good, I may have just saved a ton of money.
Here is another rattle can paint job. This paint is primer. Last time I saw this truck the guy was selling it, but he was asking $20,000.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:42 PM
BigMikeV
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
Its not rattle can, The PO used Restoration Shop acrylic urethane single stage Hot Rod Red. I just commented that any sanding I do on the rough spots will get rattle can until later when i get to the paint.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:44 PM
BigMikeV
New User
Originally Posted by GIGGER
All I can say is WOW, is it for sale ....
Not for sale right now Gigger...i'm having too much fun with her!

Old 01-07-2015, 07:00 PM
BigMikeV
New User
[QUOTE=old_dan;11232402]I did some work over the holidays....

I put in a battery box in the bed, wired that to the solenoid on the firewall, installed brake lines and bled the brakes, started installing the Painless wiring harness (you can see a part of that in the pic), pulled off the Holley carb and put in a new power valve and float valve, and....installed the front clip. I know...I need to do something with that bumper!!!

Old Dan, where did you get that Radiator? I need one just like that.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:23 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,160 Likes on 1,689 Posts
Just messin' with ya Big Mike, enjoy that truck Bro

Old 01-07-2015, 10:42 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
[QUOTE=BigMikeV;14975112]
Originally Posted by old_dan
I did some work over the holidays....

I put in a battery box in the bed, wired that to the solenoid on the firewall, installed brake lines and bled the brakes, started installing the Painless wiring harness (you can see a part of that in the pic), pulled off the Holley carb and put in a new power valve and float valve, and....installed the front clip. I know...I need to do something with that bumper!!!

Old Dan, where did you get that Radiator? I need one just like that.
I responded to a "make offer" add on ebay. It turns out it was from Superior Radiator in Michigan. Here's their website: Superior radiator - Home

It has been a while, but I think I offered $250 + $50 shipping, so $300 delivered to my doorstep.

Dan

Old 01-09-2015, 09:51 PM
jmerson
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As of today!

This is my '48 F-1 PU that I've been working at since about 2000 or so. Owned since '63 and hopefully will be on the road by the end of this year,2015!

Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2015, 02:28 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
I haven't started my truck for about a month, and I wanted to charge the battery and get some fresh fuel cycled through the carb and lines.
Today was a nice sunny day and relatively warm (25 degrees F) so I put the booster on the terminals and it fired right up after about 20 revolutions.

I let it warm up in the driveway to get any moisture out of the exhaust and engine and I saw my neighbor with his plow go by. I knew what he was up to.
He plows a skating rink on the nearby lake and you can drive out to it. So figured I'd take a short trip down there to exercise the gears and keep the tires round.
I drove out onto the lake and snapped a few photos. Now before anyone gets alarmed......it's quite safe to do so.
The plow truck is a one-ton with a nine-footer on the front and a sander on the back. That rig weighs about double what an empty F2 does. And he came back from the lake warm and dry. The ice is about 12" thick solid and growing every day.

In the photos you can see a few ice-fishing shacks. There were some people out there but I didn't venture out to see if they were catching anything.

It kept cabin fever at bay for a little while anyway......

Tom

Attached Images     
Old 01-25-2015, 04:41 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by pineconeford
I haven't started my truck for about a month, and I wanted to charge the battery and get some fresh fuel cycled through the carb and lines.
Today was a nice sunny day and relatively warm (25 degrees F) so I put the booster on the terminals and it fired right up after about 20 revolutions.

I let it warm up in the driveway to get any moisture out of the exhaust and engine and I saw my neighbor with his plow go by. I knew what he was up to.
He plows a skating rink on the nearby lake and you can drive out to it. So figured I'd take a short trip down there to exercise the gears and keep the tires round.
I drove out onto the lake and snapped a few photos. Now before anyone gets alarmed......it's quite safe to do so.
The plow truck is a one-ton with a nine-footer on the front and a sander on the back. That rig weighs about double what an empty F2 does. And he came back from the lake warm and dry. The ice is about 12" thick solid and growing every day.

In the photos you can see a few ice-fishing shacks. There were some people out there but I didn't venture out to see if they were catching anything.

It kept cabin fever at bay for a little while anyway......

Tom
Great looking F2 Tom. What color red is that?

Old 01-25-2015, 04:45 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What a beautiful truck you have Tom. And a wonderful day
enjoying it. Used to be we went out on the lakes all the time.
But the last 10 or 12 years has been to warm. I read on Google
that two inches of ice was safe for a car or truck. But I never
went out on less than 6 or 8.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:14 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
She looks great Tom, did you have fun doing donuts on the ice, cheers

Old 01-25-2015, 07:15 PM
pineconeford

Originally Posted by GIGGER
She looks great Tom, did you have fun doing donuts on the ice, cheers
Yes, unintentional ones!
The ice was hard like a skating rink so getting traction was tough. A few fishtails were in order and I sort of did the sidewinder thing until I got to the packed snow.

Years ago I would put miles on the ice with my beater cars. Almost got the Rockford File maneuver to precision many times. The shore front property owners weren't as impressed as I was. Again, anything to keep cabin fever at bay during the long winter.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:18 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Seems like fun to me Tom, no salt out there, lol

Old 01-25-2015, 07:21 PM
pineconeford

Originally Posted by arctic y block
I read on Google
that two inches of ice was safe for a car or truck. But I never
went out on less than 6 or 8.
I wouldn't take a fat chick on two inches of good ice. Agreed - eight inches is pretty safe for driving a car as long as you know where the springs, rocks and current are. Ice is always thinner near rocks those things transfer heat from above and below. Currents are just plain unpredictable.
Last year I went fishing up north and the ice was 36" thick. You can take a pulp truck loaded with drunk hippo ladies anywhere out on that.

Quick Reply: Lets see your truck RIGHT now