Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Best & Worst Engines Ever Made ?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 10:24 PM
Boss300
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the best engines are by far the 300 I6 and just about any Ford FE big block. Torque beyond belief. My 300 with intake/hedder/carb mods will run with any new V8 even with my big tires. I think some of the worst engine ideas have come from general motors, mainly, what has already been mentioned, the 350 diesels, 305's, 4-6-8 motors. Have you heard of chevy's displacement on demand system thats going on just about all of their motors in 2005. I think all car V6's will have it and most all half ton V8's. It basically kills half of the cylinders off when you dont need them. Imagine puttin exhaust on your V8 and at cruise it sounds like a 4 popper! If I pay for a V8 I want a V8.

Old 01-30-2003, 11:48 PM
speedkingf100
Senior User

I would have to say the best overall engine ever built was the 427 SOHC but any FE Big block can take serious punishment and keep on ticking at least with my experience (I have only rebuilt one engine and that was a 390 FE in a 70 F100 with Hicgh Comp pistons and a torquey cam). And of coarse the 300-I6 is the overall durability champ, The one in my dune buggy was approaching 300,000 miles when I put it in my dune buggy with everything stock except of the lifters and all of the gaskets.

And for the all time worst engines the ch*vy 305,350,and454 as well as that diesel and those crazy 4-6-8 caddy engines.
Steve

Old 01-31-2003, 03:45 PM
Outpost22
Posting Guru

Originally posted by mattsbox99
The Wankel rotary engine has been around for years it is extremely efficient and produces a lot of horsepower and torque, I don't know why carmakers have shied away from this impeccable design.

Just so you know the caps lock and shift keys allow you to make a capital letter and punctuation although nothing can fix your grammar.
Matt
We try not to express gramatical opinions here. One mans knowledge in one subject (diction, typing skills, etc) does not prove intelligence in all subjects. Nathan is a valued contributor, and I certainly appreciate his input. If I knew as much about trucks as him, I'd gladly take a lower grade on my old spelling tests.

In regards to the Wankel engine, it is a great design, except for one problem. The two I was very familiar with (in Mazdas) were extreme gas guzzlers. Maybe that had something to do with their lack of application.

Old 01-31-2003, 10:12 PM
bugeyed
Senior User

our wankel rotary in our rx-7 blew up. So we replaced it with a non turbo one, and it blew up again. Haven't owned a mazda since. I6 300 best engine ever. Run mine all to hell it its still pulling me around. the chevy 350 is a good engine, but I still like the Ford engines a bit better can't shy away from that 351. I think the new 6.0 will be an engine to fear once it gets proven.

Old 01-31-2003, 10:54 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I guess that I need to make a modification, I meant that I thought that the Renesis wankel rotory (yes that is how it is spelled) deserved far more attention. The Renesis is an awesome engine as far as the test results are going. I don't remember where I saw them but I believe I just searched on MSN 'renesis'. Aircraft manufacturers have been using wankel rotorys' since World War Two. Obviously I can not explain or even pretend to know why somebody's engine is a gas guzzler or why it blew up, other than the obvious fact that you have to take care of your vehicles, only then will your investment pay off. We have a 7.3L diesel F350 with 450,000 miles, and having zero major problems with it except the obvious normal wear and tear. All engine manufacturers have their greats, the Hemi 426, the 350FI, and the 351 Windsor. I have never owned a chevy so I don't try to say they are bad. I have actually never had an engine or a transmission go bad on me, if you take care of them they will reward you. I own nine Ford trucks from 1968 to 2002. My dad owns 17 ford trucks from 1935 to 2003. The only one that I don't like is the 460, it is a real guzzler and only makes mediocre power, my 351M out pulls it. You could say we are ford nuts around here.

For Redranger:
iF u cannnt beet 'emm jOin dem i Hoop dat wUzz eZ enuF 2 reEd 4 u.

I am not here to tell somebody that they don't know their vehicles, I am sure that redranger knows his ford trucks, and by the way if the moderators wish to express their opinions about my posts they could easily message me or ask me to leave and I gladly will, this thread was started to express one's opinion. I don't want to be here if somebody is going to tell me that it is not right to ask another person to use a common language that we have all agreed upon, I mean of course English or at least the American dialect. I don't know why I am writing this I should just find another forum, you guys are obviously chevy lovers, please remove my posts if that is possible, thank you very much, Sincerly Matt Fochs

Last edited by Mattsbox99; 01-31-2003 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:58 PM
redranger1
Posting Guru

thanks outpost! id give ya some feedback but i cant hardly do that. id could keep responding to him but i figured that there aint much to say to somebody that doesnt know what they are talkin bout.

mattsbox-if ya cant beat em, dont bother joinin them either.

-nathan

Last edited by redranger1; 01-31-2003 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:35 PM
redranger1
Posting Guru

mattsbox99
I am not here to tell somebody that they don't know their vehicles, I am sure that redranger knows his ford trucks, and by the way if the moderators wish to express their opinions about my posts they could easily message me or ask me to leave and I gladly will, this thread was started to express one's opinion. I don't want to be here if somebody is going to tell me that it is not right to ask another person to use a common language that we have all agreed upon, I mean of course English or at least the American dialect. I don't know why I am writing this I should just find another forum, you guys are obviously chevy lovers, please remove my posts if that is possible, thank you very much, Sincerly Matt Fochs

where do you get off man? there aint nobody here thats tryin to run you off! yer just gonna run yerself off by copin' an attitude! and as far as the way i talk, i never signed no agreement to talk proper english on here. besides, ill bet over half the guys and gals on here dont type in proper english anyhow. and i dont see how come yer accusin us all of bein chevy lovers either??? there have been many differant car manufacturers engine brought up on this thread. and you yerself brought up several differant ones! just cause its a chevy dont mean it aint a good engine!

Old 02-01-2003, 12:57 AM
MountainHound
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Best & Worst Engines Ever Made ?!?!

I just wanted to mention GM's 4.3L Vortec V6. It's getting old now but we owned two S10 Blazers with that engine and never had any problems with it at all. The Blazers were less than perfect but I always like that motor-it made nice power at low rpms and moves the S10 sized vehicles along pretty good. Not saying it's the best engine but I thought it's one of the more dependable engines I've owned.

I'm not real brand loyal but right now I'm sold on my 415cc V10! It makes my new F250 alot of fun to drive. Don't know how the long-term durability will be but right now I couldn't be more pleased with it.

Last edited by MountainHound; 02-01-2003 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:58 AM
jerny66
New User

Everyone seems to agree that the chevy 305 is one of the worst engines ever. Being a Ford 390 fan, I don't know a thing about the 305. I purchased a 2000 Jetcraft river boat afew years ago and it has a Kodiak jet drive with a kodiak marine engine, Edelbrock marine carb and manifold,hotter cam,etc. It is a Chevy 305 and I have 120 hours on it without any problems, and it seems to be a good running little engine. What would make this engine so terrible, and what problems should I look for in the near future?

Old 02-01-2003, 08:53 PM
glenn81
New User

Best motors 300I6, 426 Hemi
Worst a 302 until about 1987 & any small block Gm until about 1990.

5.9 Cummins is an awesome motor as well Had one & couldn't kill it. I got a new 6.0 Ford Diesiel it seems really good but a buddy got a new Cummins H.O & makes my truck look sick but oh well those are the breaks!

Old 02-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no designated moderator for this forum but that doesn't mean the guidelines aren't enforced. NO PERSONAL ATTACKS. I could care less about grammar. If I can understand the persons point that is guud enuf fer me. Keep it focused on the subject and not on the grammar/spelling.

Old 02-01-2003, 10:36 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In addition to what Ratsmoker said I want to add the following:

The description of this forum is:

Discuss Ford vs the Competitors. This is for technical discussion only. Emotional threads or flame wars will not be tolerated.

This is not a forum for why you "think" xyz is better than abc. It is for technical discussion and comparison. Please keep opinions out and facts in.

Old 02-02-2003, 11:02 AM
truckfreak69
Posting Guru

I understand that the 305 may be underpowered and definately was a bad choice for the Monte Carlo's, but I almost bought a truck with one that had 170,000 miles on it and the original motor....?????? It was a beautiful truck but for the work it'd need to fix the rust on it, they wanted too much, that's when I got my ford and I'm pleased, just wish it had the lift kit the chevy had oh and the exhaust note too, the 300's don't have the best exhaust note, but are too damn dependable lol, 171,000 and still sounds and feels new.

Old 02-03-2003, 12:39 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I put a "heartthrob" cat back system on my 300 and it sounded pretty cool. It was a very low mean grumble not like you would expect from a 6. Not what you would expect from an 8 though either. I don't think the 305 was too bad of a truck motor. It was the fact chevy tried to use them in their high performance cars. Small bore long stroke engines don't make it far in the performance world.

Old 02-03-2003, 07:23 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by V10KLZZ71S
the worst? dont know the engine size or anything but i would say the corvair motor,blew oil all over.
Aww, you're killing me, YOU'RE KILLING ME!!! I will agree, the EARLY Corvair motor had it's problems. The later ones are considered to be among the most durable engines GM ever built (of course, that may not be saying much !). As for blowing oil, those people just didn't know how to take care of them. My '65 Monza engine is as dry as a bone on the outside; the transaxle leaves one spot when it's parked for more than a week. I'm sorry, I just get a little sensitive when all you "waterpumpers" start pickin' on my little car . By the way, would someone please tell me how to post a JPEG photo on this site? Then you'll see what a pretty littel car the '65 was.

Quick Reply: Best & Worst Engines Ever Made ?!?!