1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long vs. short bed on crew cab

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Thistle3595
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Furian
Your profile states that you currently have a 2006 F350... what configuration?
I don't own a 350 yet. I had been looking for a '06 but right now leaning towards and 08-09 350. Currently I have a GMC 1500 with 235,000 miles on it and figure it just might be time to begin looking before I end up truckless. However, there isn't anything leading me to believe anything is going wrong with the truck. It has been a heck of a workhorse and will hate to see it retire. I suppose I'll keep the GMC for a work truck and only use the 350 when we go on trips or need to haul the trailer.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Thistle3595
I don't own a 350 yet. I had been looking for a '06 but right now leaning towards and 08-09 350. Currently I have a GMC 1500 with 235,000 miles on it and figure it just might be time to begin looking before I end up truckless. However, there isn't anything leading me to believe anything is going wrong with the truck. It has been a heck of a workhorse and will hate to see it retire. I suppose I'll keep the GMC for a work truck and only use the 350 when we go on trips or need to haul the trailer.
The short beds are more popular these days so you should have a better selection in that configuration. Personally, I prefer the long bed only because I will be using a large tool box and will need to extra space of the long bed. However, if you don't plan to install a tool box and/or you don't carry a lot of gear, then you should be fine with the available space of the short bed. As stated, the coil spring front suspension of the 2005-current Super Duties provides a reduced turning radius so navigation in city and parking environments is greatly improved over the front leaf spring suspensions.

Best success with your future purchase of a Super Duty!

Old 03-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Thistle3595
Senior User
The short beds are more popular these days so you should have a better selection in that configuration. Personally, I prefer the long bed only because I will be using a large tool box and will need to extra space of the long bed. However, if you don't plan to install a tool box and/or you don't carry a lot of gear, then you should be fine with the available space of the short bed. As stated, the coil spring front suspension of the 2005-current Super Duties provides a reduced turning radius so navigation in city and parking environments is greatly improved over the front leaf spring suspensions.

Best success with your future purchase of a Super Duty!
The GMC is a short bed and man sometimes there just isn't enough room. I haven't really been looking for a LB but found one that appears to be in great shape but my wife is a pretty reluctant player at this moment. I surely don't want to buy the LB and she hates it once she has to drive it. That wouldn't be good at all if you know what I mean.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:43 PM
capn kirk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drivin the cc/lb 350s around dc plenty of times. It goes just fine as long as you know what you're working with and get used to it. I'm always partial to the long beds but i work out of all my trucks and always have a tool box behind the cab.

as far as roof clearance goes it doesnt change with bed length

I can all but guarantee my next truck will be a cc/lb. Love the space you get with it over the sc

Old 03-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
The GMC is a short bed and man sometimes there just isn't enough room. I haven't really been looking for a LB but found one that appears to be in great shape but my wife is a pretty reluctant player at this moment. I surely don't want to buy the LB and she hates it once she has to drive it. That wouldn't be good at all if you know what I mean.
Is you GMC a CC/SB? Is your wife use to driving a CC/SB truck? If so, she will adapt to the CC/LB very quickly.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Thistle3595
Senior User
Is you GMC a CC/SB? Is your wife use to driving a CC/SB truck? If so, she will adapt to the CC/LB very quickly.
No, it is an extended cab sb and that is her fear I think. I suppose I also have a little piece of apprehension rumbling around also to be quite honest. It sure will be nice when the kids have more room in the back seat. My wife is tall and there is a constant battle for leg room.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
No, it is an extended cab sb and that is her fear I think. I suppose I also have a little piece of apprehension rumbling around also to be quite honest. It sure will be nice when the kids have more room in the back seat. My wife is tall and there is a constant battle for leg room.
I have a tendency to over analyze things, which drives me crazy sometimes... In your case, you have already determined that you need the CC for the family and you stated that you occasionally need the capacity of the long bed. I think that you have answered the question of "need" but are concerned about city driving and parking with such a long truck. Well, you (and your wife) will get accustomed to the capabilities and limitation of a CC/LB truck very quickly. Worst case scenario, you have to park further away but the benefit is that your truck won't get dinged and you get a little exercise.

I have a phrase that I think applies here... I would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Thistle3595
Senior User
I have a tendency to over analyze things, which drives me crazy sometimes
Are we related? I know we are somehow if you prepare spreadsheets as part of the decision making process.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:18 PM
warriorm
Freshman User
I drive an '08 F250 CC/LB 4x4. Great on the highway, can fit 50 bales of hay in the bed. Is just shy of 23'. Dwarfs my '99 E350 15 passenger van. Takes up a space and a half in any parking lot, so I park far away and walk a bit. Don't even try to find a close space. Turning radius is much bigger than my van. With that said, I love my truck. I agree with the theory of having it when you need it instead of wanting it when you don't. I still get sad whenever I look at the dent just below the right rear taillight which happened on the second day of ownership. Did I mention that it's longer than my '99 E350? LOL. Don't let the long bed scare you. It's nice to know that you can throw a sheet of plywood in the truck and just shut the 'gate to get it home.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:29 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
If I were you I would be looking at a crew cab and then go from there. I have had long beds and short beds. I real difference to me is when you have those longer items.

One other thing to consider about the longer wheel bases. I find that if I back into parking places it goes much easier..If you think about it you are making the turning wheels in the rear thus allowing the non-turning wheels to turn sharper in a parking stall.

So I generally will back into most parking.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:35 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Either way it makes a long truck, but keep in mind that the difference between the two is less than 18 inches.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Thistle3595
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
One other thing to consider about the longer wheel bases. I find that if I back into parking places it goes much easier..If you think about it you are making the turning wheels in the rear thus allowing the non-turning wheels to turn sharper in a parking stall. So I generally will back into most parking.
Good point, thanks for this thought. The 350 I'm considering has a backup camera, which shows on the mirror, so that along with all the comments here is at least helping me at least get my wife on the fence.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:44 PM
57fomoco
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just buy the whole truck, you will like it. in Vegas most of our parking garages are tall enough for me to drive right in without any problems. I also like to back into parking spots and use my back up sensors to keep from backing over cars and hitting poles. I bought mine in Salt Lake City four years ago and flew up to get it with my 8 year old daughter and on the way home every time we passed a short bed truck she would tell me that they didn't buy the whole truck.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:49 PM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not all parking garages are the same. Some are high enough to fit my cc/lb and others aren't. The only thing that scares me is the bottom part of a ramp because it will raise the center of the vehicles somewhat when you cross it. My brother got a cc/sb dodge a few years back. After a year of owning it, he regretted not getting the long bed. I owned a short bed truck for a while and eventually got tired of not being able to lay a simple sheet of drywall down with the tailgate up. Ever try taking a 10 or 12 ft sheet or length of anything home in a 6ft bed? It doesn't work well.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:07 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Are we related? I know we are somehow if you prepare spreadsheets as part of the decision making process.
Absolutely! I generally go to 4 decimal points in my spreadsheet calculations!

Quick Reply: Long vs. short bed on crew cab