Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

March Chat it up thread. What you doing in March?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 06:00 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Good Morning All......

One more day closer to the weekend !

Old 03-25-2010, 11:02 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rainy, rainy, rainy.....but warm.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:21 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

nice here, but were supposed to get rain, but the weekend looks clear and cool!

Old 03-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got rain soaked AGAIN - but I hope it dries a bit so I can get more stuff done. I've got a lot of tilling and trenching to do before all the main plastic tarps are laid down right.

The one good thing about it all is that it only needs to be done once!

From this point on all my seeds are going directly in the ground outdoors except tiny plants.

Time to get the mowers out too, before I have a quarter acre of clover and no grass out back...

Old 03-25-2010, 07:10 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 92 Likes on 87 Posts
Tarp may cause your crops to rot, it won't breath bro.
I got my fan in, need t come up with mounting it on my radiator, need a scrap piece of metal to form a shroud, new is dumb due to needing to cut a large hole out of the center.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Yeah - and without a well fitted shroud it won't be very efficient.

I never did like the idea of the jiffy anchors most fans come with to mount them directly on the core. About a half to 3/4 inch deep box the width of the core with a flange at top and bottom to bolt to the original shroud holes is ideal.

You mounting twin fans, right?

Well, "WHO USES ALUMINUM OR STEEL SHEET NEAR YOU TO MANUFACTURE OTHER THINGS OUT OF?"
A body shop, RV dealership, etc... A place like that just might have some scrap pieces they might either sell or give you.

I know for a fact that if I contacted anybody I used to work with and asked a thing like that it wouldn't cost me a thin dime for a leftover piece of sheet stock - handed right out the back door!

Old 03-25-2010, 09:54 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Single fan, dual speed from a Lincoln Mark VIII, made for a V-8, more than enough CFM for my application, if need be, I'll put one in front as a pusher on the high speed wire, so it's only on when necessary, likely in the summer at long idle.
The business where I got my medical supplies burned down, need to see some of the HVAC ducting from the scrap that's gonna be drug out.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
That's a prospective possible - but don't limit it to that.

A lot of places use metal sheets and have a whole truckload left over...

Think over who you know locally and what they do.

It AIN'T like you are asking for a million dollars....

I'd still put it behind the core so that "INCIDENT" airflow is not interrupted. Especially if you have air con. And clean the condenser often.

I still like the dual fan inboard mounted concept, because it creates NEGATIVE pressure at intersections and red lights, and spaces the MOTORS (electrical) away from pulleys and such.

To restrict airflow on the frontward side has always seemed to me a bad idea. You want all the wind you can get all the way acrost the core....

You do what you want - I want my RAD section WIDE OPEN on the front side.....

(Consider that)

(NUTSHELL VERSION)

I think that dual-speed fan idea was intended to "SAVE IT BEFORE IT DIES" and points to inadequate coolant flow.

NOW -if you had two fans like that boxed the right way - you should never have to shove them into "OVERDRIVE", and a radiator with enough capacity should run alright.

I hope you flushed the block....

I also note that when a water pump gets old - the blades on it rust away until all you have is a spinning bitch with no teeth left (much like my estranged wife) if the coolant percentage ever got low.

*Most people ignore the pump until it is the last possible thing left.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:07 AM
maples01
Logistics Pro
No need to flush the block, it's clean, I had just done the antifreeze last month, think I'll recover it and put it back in, van's a 99 so the rest is fine, would replace the water pump, but not looking to complicate this further. Gee, I wonder if this bumps the tire smoking ability any. LoL

Old 03-26-2010, 05:47 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Good Morning All.....

TGIF......

Old 03-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take a look at the dump/convenience center for metal. An old washer or dryer might just do it. The metal is good and thick also. Heck even if you picked up a set of metal shelves someone threw away you could use the shelves.
Actually I have an old refrigerator you can have. Just come and get it. I believe around a '50's era. Still works!

Old 03-26-2010, 12:53 PM
scottzj
Hangin 10 bra
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinda newbie here but slowly getting back into things...Installed 05-07 F250 grill and headlights on my 04 King Ranch and lookin good. Blacked out the windows and plan on installing cab lights this weekend along with new DVD/GPS double din radio. Going to be somewhat a nice weekend after today, sort of cool.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:07 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Scott, you still got the Jeep, think I recall you from FTW?
I'm starting to rethink the whole electric fan idea, although I'm in it deep, got a lot of money tied up in it, I want to get it done, but lacking the metal, and a brake to bend the stuff into the shape I need, which is just the sides, to wrap to the side of the radiator.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by maples01
Scott, you still got the Jeep, think I recall you from FTW?
I'm starting to rethink the whole electric fan idea, although I'm in it deep, got a lot of money tied up in it, I want to get it done, but lacking the metal, and a brake to bend the stuff into the shape I need, which is just the sides, to wrap to the side of the radiator.
"BRAKES? We don' need no steenkin' brakes..."

Clamp it down to a 2X4, or square metal bar - along the line of the bend. Then just work it with a rubber mallet.

It always came out good for ME!

Don't let it become a HARD thing, metal forming is easier than you imagine.

And like I said: ANYPLACE that makes stuff out of metal sheet has scrap pieces left over. Go visit a body shop (IN PERSON - because face to face it is always harder to say "NO")

An alternative is to drop by a place that makes tin 'Flashing' for roofers, they may be happy to fabricate the entire piece for you.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:27 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Good Morning All.....

Quick Reply: March Chat it up thread. What you doing in March?