1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

chip..chip..chipin away at it

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:11 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Heavy... chrome yellow..

Willie... we filled the rails with 'kitty hair" filler... with the final coat being short strand regular fiberglass filler... body man says he doesn't see where it would crack... that part of the truck sees very little flex so I'm hoping (we need a crossing fingers smiley)

We still have to dress the underside of the rail... had to do some no-so-expert welding to fix some bad places... got to cover up my work ! After filling and smoothing it should look much better than it does now... to me that is a highly noticeable location... it's one of the first things I see on a truck. I'm drawn to the seams and panel edges... crazy old man

later
John

Old 11-03-2011, 09:32 AM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
That is a mod I haven't seen before. What prompted you to fill the drip rail instead of shaving it?

Looking forward to seeing it in paint. I have the feeling it's going to be one of those "You either love it or hate it" things.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:57 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
hey Grizz..

I'd seen it before at the Supernats but saw two trucks at Cruzin the Coast this year that had it done... got to look at them real close and the more I looked the more I liked it... my rails were tired and needed a lot of work so filling seemed a reasonable solution... they are pretty much non functioning in an air conditioned vehicle anyway...

thought about removing them...but that's backing up a good bit... here's a pic of one in paint that was at the show...

later
j

Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2011, 10:03 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks good John, I can relate to the chipping away part, by the way, go with the neon in a color that does not match the truck!

Old 11-03-2011, 10:04 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
the truck in the picture u reference seems to have kept the rail edge.. yours looks more full..

marine tex is a great filler too.. very adhesive to the surfaces. non-absorbent.

Sam

Old 11-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Steve Bennett
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Looking good John!! I was up in your neck of the woods this past Sunday visiting our Daughter. Even had lunch @ the Bright Star Restaurant in Bessemer. One of these days I'm going to make time to look you up and we can talk trucks (and grandchildren!) My '54 is finally @ the paint shop, so I'm shooting for the Supernationals, but more realistically Cruisin' the Coast 2012. Keep posting cause we all like pictures. Later, Steve

Old 11-03-2011, 01:17 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
You should have called Steve... I would have let you buy me lunch... Bright Star is good for lunch ($) dinner is ($$$$).

Sam...we discussed the profile and we both thought it would look better if we followed the contour of the roof more... see crude sketch... I bought some etching primer yesterday and am anxious to give it a light coat and see how it looks...

body man wants to get a day with sunshine to skim and block the roof... there are a few bumps and dips in it... soon...

j

Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2011, 01:36 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

thanks for the drawing.. yes, I think yours will look better too.. sorta no driprail, while still having the rail.. stop the rain runin I see (one time was enough!)

Sam

Old 11-06-2011, 04:20 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
euuuuu shiny !!!

last of the parts for the engine are loaded in the back of the 'burb' and headed to the builder in the early a.m.

exhaust manifolds and gaskets
oil pump drive shaft
flex plate

the ford racing valve covers finally arrived from Canada as did the air cleaner and breathers from e-bay dealer...
probably this week will button it all up... put it on the run-in stand and fire that puppy up... this is almost like a first date !!!
most likely won't happen this week.... headed to Panama City for the Emerald Coast Cruise in on Thursday... and already have more projects
that have to be finished before that... but soon....

thanks for letting me copy you Sam...although I'll never have one as nice as yours..
I promise when I get that big trophy at the supernats I'll give you a shout-out

shiny stuff follows.....
later
j

Attached Images   
Old 11-06-2011, 05:14 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by jniolon
last of the parts for the engine are loaded in the back of the 'burb' and headed to the builder in the early a.m.

exhaust manifolds and gaskets
oil pump drive shaft
flex plate

the ford racing valve covers finally arrived from Canada as did the air cleaner and breathers from e-bay dealer...
probably this week will button it all up... put it on the run-in stand and fire that puppy up... this is almost like a first date !!!
most likely won't happen this week.... headed to Panama City for the Emerald Coast Cruise in on Thursday... and already have more projects
that have to be finished before that... but soon....

thanks for letting me copy you Sam...although I'll never have one as nice as yours..
I promise when I get that big trophy at the supernats I'll give you a shout-out

shiny stuff follows.....
later
j
way cool!!..

check the surface of the valve covers.. I had one that looked like something got dragged thru the chrome.. shiny snail track.. they replaced the one cover..

its beautiful stuff..

your chassis looks LOTS better than mine does.. wish I had used glass paint..

Sam

Old 11-06-2011, 06:25 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Sam,

did your covers come with the baffle plates installed ??? inside to block oil from getting into breather and pvc ?? Mine had plates but the bolt holes don't match the bosses they are supposed to screw into ??? figured I'l have to make some of my own..

j

Old 11-06-2011, 07:02 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Sam,

did your covers come with the baffle plates installed ??? inside to block oil from getting into breather and pvc ?? Mine had plates but the bolt holes don't match the bosses they are supposed to screw into ??? figured I'l have to make some of my own..

j
they did not come installed.. but the holes lined up..

Sam

Old 11-06-2011, 07:05 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
John,

Wow, things are coming right along. Its looking good. I have my fingers crossed that fitting the radiator will be a simple little mod and you won't have to go through a major rework.

Great shiny parts!
Bobby

Old 11-06-2011, 07:18 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Sam... hmmmm maybe they put in a set of baffles for a sb ???

Bobby.... me too, bobby... me too... should know in a week or so when it comes home... once it's finished and run in... it will transfer to my engine stand for transport... then attach the trans... hang it on the hoist and drop it in... keep all the things that will cross... crossed..

BTW.... what is the going rate for a rebuild on a c-6 ??? it's been sitting dry for years and I'm sure it needs everything and a torque converter... add that to the list... and I need to drag it out and work it over with some coil cleaner and the pressure washer... then clear coat !
j

Old 11-06-2011, 08:03 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Sam... hmmmm maybe they put in a set of baffles for a sb ???

Bobby.... me too, bobby... me too... should know in a week or so when it comes home... once it's finished and run in... it will transfer to my engine stand for transport... then attach the trans... hang it on the hoise and drop it in... keep all the things that will cross... crossed..

BTW.... what is the going rate for a rebuild on a c-6 ??? it's been sitting dry for years and I'm sure it needs everything and a torque converter... add that to the list... and I need to drag it out and work it over with some coil cleaner and the pressure washer... then clear coat !
j
It's been years, but I paid $375 to get my c6 rebuilt. I kept my high stall converter.

Sam

Quick Reply: chip..chip..chipin away at it