1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

knocking under load....

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:24 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Action4478
When it is loping , have you tried unplugging the ICP .

i have. it tries to die at first then it comes back and idles pretty much like it was before, but it seems the injectors are louder i think. i will do it again today just for fun to see what it does.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:40 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disconnect the eot and take it out for a spin.
This will limp a eot running temp.
You need to see if its a sensor issue or if the oil
is cold.
Check the sensor before cold start. See how it
compares to the ait and amb temps.

Wag is t-stat is bad.

Bill

Old 02-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by MADVAN

Wag is t-stat is bad.

Bill
I was thinking that , for the failed CCT, too..

Old 02-17-2010, 10:00 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
I was thinking that , for the failed CCT, too..
Also has stage 2 inj's and a chip.
Dont know the trucks pcm code. I dont recall
what tony would use for a base for the handshaker. (maybe same as auto TDE?)

My thoughts are he needs to get the oil temp up first.
Then move on.

Bill

Old 02-17-2010, 11:31 AM
kawa
Postmaster
Talking

You obviously need "Cadillac Battery Water"

Rog

Old 02-17-2010, 11:39 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kawa
You obviously need "Cadillac Battery Water"

Rog

Its intermission time!!!!
Bring out the DB's Red!!!

Blue

Old 02-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Old 02-17-2010, 01:39 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
i won't be able to make it to check the sensor vs amb temps and IAT til i get the scan guage. the only time i have access to the solus is when i get off work on days i work early shift so the truck is warmed up from the hour drive over there.

Thank you Bill, Tim, Rick, and of course Rog for the intermission. LoL. y'all are a huge help. i still have a long way to go to get where y'all are. haha. So intermission til i get even more info!!!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:45 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
hey guys, i have been fiddling with the truck a bit here and there and have another question on this "knock". what are the chances this could be a bearing in the trans? it gets louder as you go faster. so in 2nd and 3rd gear you can't really hear it much. get it to 4th and it gets louder, then in 5th at cruising speed while on the pedal it will be a little louder than in 4th gear, but yet you let off and it stops. get on it hard and the "knock" will speed up a bit and get louder, but u let off and come back down to cruising speed and it quiets down again. also my shifter boot has a piece ripped off the corner and if you cover that spot up with something the sound quiets down so thats where i'm hearing the sound.

I still have to compare my EOT with ambient temps and my scan guage should be here soon so i will compare it at that time.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:28 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Q

Wonder how she would act if you dropped the drive shaft and ran it.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:34 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by DRRXR
Wonder how she would act if you dropped the drive shaft and ran it.
i don't think there would be enough load on it to make it do it without the driveshaft in there. if your not under load then it won't do it at all.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:41 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard

I have heard people talk about the drivers fender bolts making a knocking noise due to the bolts near the driver side hood swing arm beinng loose just under the hood.

But I guess you can tell that is from the tranny or engine. Can you feel it in the stick?

Old 02-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
The only time I have heard a motor knock under load ,was a bad main ,, maybe wrist pin ,( not often & only when cold )

ran the buzz test and system passed, but at the start of the buzz test something doesn't sound right. sounds like one of the injectors buzzes then stops buzzing for a second then starts buzzing again and works fine.
May want to take a second look at the injectors ...Knocking may be a dry one (broken nozzle , spring ect) bla ,bla bla,,,

Old 02-25-2010, 05:58 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by DRRXR
I have heard people talk about the drivers fender bolts making a knocking noise due to the bolts near the driver side hood swing arm beinng loose just under the hood.

But I guess you can tell that is from the tranny or engine. Can you feel it in the stick?
yeah you can feel a little tapping. i could feel it a little, but am still not exactly positive if it could be in the tranny, but my stepdad seemed quite positive that he could feel it a lot when i was at WOT in 4th and 5th gears. we were on back roads so i had him feel for it while i got on it and kept it on the road. LOL. seems to take a little while to do it once you start driving it. today it didn't start making much noise til i was almost home from work(about an hour drive) and i drive a mix of stop and go and highway driving coming home from work. i was less than a mile from home til it started getting loud again. i guess it's doing it more as the tranny heats up? the engine was warm long before it started getting loud and it gets louder with harder acceleration.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:04 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
The only time I have heard a motor knock under load ,was a bad main ,, maybe wrist pin ,( not often & only when cold )

May want to take a second look at the injectors ...Knocking may be a dry one (broken nozzle , spring ect) bla ,bla bla,,,
so you don't think engine either? it doesn't do it cold so i guess we can throw main and wrist pins out pretty much. it doesn't pop out the intake so shouldn't have any bent pushrods. a lifter i would assume would continuously make the sound even when you let of the throttle, and valves i would assume the same, but not sure.

I will run another CCT and buzz test when my scan guage gets here which hopefully will be any day now. i have another set of injectors here so i could always get Jim to send me a set(a little larger of course) and then send him my stage 1's back and pay him for whatever was wrong with them then he will have another set of machined IP's for a stage 1 kit. LoL.

ON EDIT: DANG IT!!! I NEVER DID FINISH SETTING UP A LONGER FUEL PRESSURE GUAGE!!!!! LoL. i will get back on that too. sorry bout that guys.

Quick Reply: knocking under load....