Oil & Lubrication  

change at home or pay for service?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 10:59 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't keep receipts for oil and filters long term, too much paper laying around. I write down the date, mileage, oil used, amount, filter used and etc in my owners manual mainly for my reference. If I were to sell one of my vehicles at least I have some sort of record.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:07 AM
thehkp7m13
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thistle3595
Does changing the oil yourself affect the warranty in any way and how do you maintaining supporting paperwork for your timely oil changes?
Nothing I own has a warranty and thats fine with me. Do the log and/or take photos. It is just the stealerships way of scaring you into spending more $$$ to fatten their bottom line.

FINALLY I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH MOST PLACE OVERTORQUE THE FLITER AND THE DRAINPLUG. Just thing hard steel overtorqued into soft aluminum again and again. Many new oil pans have been sold like this.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:26 AM
OrangeJuice
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do all my oil changes on all three of my vehicles myself...gives me an excuse to play with the tools in the garage. Also, I know exactly what oil is being put in and the filter being used. I don't have to worry about it being over filled or not enough put in. And I dump the oil for free at the local auto parts store. I've heard of some places not doing a good job like making sure the oil cap is placed back on or the drain plug is only finger tight. I can see them getting too distracted and forgetting something, less chance of that happening to me. And if you have to watch their every move because you don't trust them then you probably shouldn't be taking it to them. Plus if there's any mistakes I know who to blame...ME! Haha

OJ

Old 06-05-2010, 08:54 PM
ottawaguy
Elder User
Is it really even an option???

I have never actually heard of a "quicklube" forgetting to put a plug in or cap on?..Does that really happen???
Just kidding.....My honey knows a girl who's engine seized after leaving a "quicklube".
Not sure if they forgot to put the oil in or the plug in, but she said the engine had no oil.
Does it really matter what they did wrong?
Twice I have seen wheels almost fall off vehicles because lug nuts had only been finger tightened.
Blunders, coverups......and then they want to rob you blind......My a$$

Suffice it to say that only one person works on my truck.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:46 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
i hate the idea of a quick lube doing my oil changes. imagine when they strip the pan threads? i know what it takes to change the pan on my F150 and YOU KNOW the quick lube place isn't going to take responsibility and pay for the repair!

Old 06-06-2010, 08:30 PM
OrangeJuice
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They won't take responsibility for anything, and if they do screw something up all you're going to hear them say is: ''Oh, we're sorry for doing that'' and that will be the end of it. How can you make sure even a simple oil change is done right if you don't do it yourself?

OJ

Old 06-07-2010, 12:31 PM
F-350 Mud Digger
Junior User
Quick lubes suck. They don't care whether or not the job is done right. They are getting paid $10 an hour to do this... It's not a big concern for them.

I change my own oil in all 5 of my families vehicles. I know everything is done right, the best oil on the market is put in, and that the filter is properly installed. Never left screwed on wrong, or the plug not put in. I take care of my vehicles, and I don't care whether or not I got a warranty. Warranties are only there for the dealership to make money... so don't even worry about it.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:55 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by F-350 Mud Digger
the best oil on the market is put in
Sorry, no such thing.

Now expensive oil is available readily.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:05 PM
thehkp7m13
New User
Originally Posted by jschira
Sorry, no such thing.

Now expensive oil is available readily.

L.O.L. There are differences, but if your pulling the plug every 3,000 its really trivial.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:17 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I do all of my own vehicle maintenance and service, well 99.99% of it anyway. I only have someone else do the things that I can't, don't have the tools for (too expensive), or can't afford not to have done by someone else (alignments, tires, etc.). As far as oil changes, I use a motor flush with every oil change, quality oil and filter, and sometimes even an additive. I also check all the fluids, filters, spark-plugs, dist. cap and rotor, and lube everything at each oil change. So, as I see it, I'm spending the same as if I took it to a quick-lube, except I'm getting a much better job. I should also say that I was a mechanic/technician for some time before leaving the field to pursue another career. Oh, and I do still enjoy working on my vehicles at 50 also.

And one other thing, Our local dump accepts old oil, paint, batteries as well as trash and yard debris.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:19 PM
blue1ton
Senior User
Back in the 1980's I owned a Nissan pick up, great truck. Well, it was time for an oil change and I usually took it to the dealer for the oil changes. I decided to try a quick lube in my area this time. Oil changed in 10-15 minutes and away I go. It's oil change time again, so I return to the quick lube place. The manager comes to me and said who is the #$%@ who changed your oil last time? We can't get the drain plug off. I said you folks did. This guy looked at me like I was crazy even after showing him the last oil change paperwork from his shop. Well, they were able to get the oil drain plug off and replaced it.

I do my own oil changes on my Ford Powerstroke so I know its done the right way.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:05 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Grubbworm
And one other thing, Our local dump accepts old oil, paint, batteries as well as trash and yard debris.
In TX, if you sell oil, you have to accept waste oil, from anyone.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:10 PM
blue1ton
Senior User
I like that Texas law.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:04 PM
JohnMcD348
Senior User
On my Bronco, I do all the fluid changes on it. On my Ram, I have free oil changes that were given to me by the dealership and I've never had issue with trusting their service. Once they run out, I'll do them myself. I do all the other fluid changes on the Ram myself only because I don't like how they simply just suck it out and refill. TO do my Diffs, I remove the cover so I can make certain the LSD is in good working order and no metal bits are visible. For the wife's Escape, well, if she wants the oil changed, she can take it in herself. It's a personal thing for me. I have no love for that vehicle and she was given a bad deal by that dealership and I think I, myself, have only been in it 6 ties in the 2 years she's owned it. It's not the vehicle itself, it's the way it was purchased and how we were done by the dealership. I could care less what happens to it.

My Ram and Bronco, I plan to keep until I can no longer drive. Being that I am from Florida that would be probably 50 years from now. On my 90th Birthday.......

Maybe 60 years if I'm lucky.....

Old 07-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Cruiseomatic
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is all true,
I used to work at a quick lube type place. That is all we did. We made about $8 an hour, Did as many as we could do. One time, We had to transfer 55 gallons of Rotella to anouther store and the individual who began pumping what was suppoesed to be Rotella 15w-40 was actually pumping Penzoil 5w-20. After about 10 gallons realised his mistake and just switched guns leaving the Penzoil in there. They would also smoke marijuana in the "pit" when no vehicles were in or anyone was around. Or how you would pay for a transmission flush and all that would happen is lower bay drains the pan and then upper bay would run ATF through the tube until about a quart drains out of the pan, once it does the plug goes back on and then it gets re-filled. Or a power steering "flush" would be just suck the "old" fluid out, Bad or not and put transmission fluid in. Sometimes on vehicles they knew would'nt take that, Did we use actual fluid. The place and people that would go there are a joke. Had a cop's daughter come in one day, The "crew" did the oil change and I vaccumed, (It was manditory unless not wanted.) Once she left about 20 minutes later manager gets a call from the "Father". He said we did'nt vaccum out her vehicle and I mentioned I did it and I made sure it was done although she had personal property that I would not touch. Vehicle came back and and sure enough it was vaccumed but her shoes were what I did'nt touch among something else I can't mention here we're right where I left them. He moved them, Actualy threw them he was so "upset" and under them was not vaccumed. And the manager agreed with me on the issue. But to feel important and how we knew he was a cop is, He pulled up off duty in civilian clothes in his city police cruiser. Or how some guy tryed to leave a loaded weapon in his mustang.....Or the woman who tried to kill her new chrysler hi-performance 300 by putting oil in the intake right infront of us then try to blame us for it, The list goes on forever...

Quick Reply: change at home or pay for service?