1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Good place to find a truck ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Dads79
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good place to find a truck ?

Hello all. I have always wanted a fat fendered truck.I am looking for a 48-50 F1 or a 56 F-100. Just looking for a nice driver. Where beside ebay and classifeds on here is the best place to look ? Thanks

Old 02-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
post weekly on craigslist, and keep a close eye on it (I check daily) as they'll go quick usually. Do a search on years on the left rather than just looking through the sections. Often good trucks will just be in the parts section, or free, or where ever. It's easier to find if you just search everything for "1956" or whatever.

However my personal favorite way to do find a project is to walk alley ways. You don't usually find anything thats not already finished in newly built home areas, but places that have been around for 30-40+ years I find much more. It will have to be an older part of town anyways to have alleys. You'll be amazed at what people have back there, and how many of them just want it gone or will sell it cheap. Take a camera with you too, it will help out later on and if you come across someone looking for something particular you'll help them out greatly if you've already found it on a walk. And walk, don't drive, you miss so much just slightly hidden when you drive. Treasure hunting is great fun, half the fun of a build is finding "gold" in the first place. If you lived around here I could tell you of 3 48-52s I know of in great shape, a couple '56s, 53s-55s, and loads of chevys. And I live in a town with about 15,000 people...

Old 02-04-2010, 08:49 PM
brit_wheels_fan
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Tried Hemmings?

I have a 'search' set for '51 and '52 Ford pickups on the Hemmings website. Those years are my personal favorites because my dad had one and I learned to drive in it. It seems that the prices shown on Hemmings listings are quite inflated. I also like this site

Car Sellers USA .com Dealer Inventory. Used Cars For Sale.

I really like the way the cars are shown on this one. There are some nice pickups shown here too.

Good luck with your search. It is too bad you won't consider the '51s and the '52s. Why the bias?

Last edited by brit_wheels_fan; 02-04-2010 at 08:49 PM. Reason: fixing a typo
Old 02-05-2010, 03:15 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Dad79,

About 3 weeks ago there was a nice stock 56 for sale in Lebanon. I know where a really nice show piece is for sale in Crossville. I am not sure how much you are looking to spend. I also saw a 56' on Craigslist near Atlanta or Chattanooga. Not sure of the condition though. You might try also asking around at the SWAP Meet in Nashville this coming Sunday. Good luck to you.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Dads79
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm think I'm going to sell/trade either my 79 F-150 or my Excursion. Since they don't get much use. So looking to spend 6 to 10k for a nice truck . I don't know why I don't like 51-52's as much a 48-50,53-56's . I guess it's the grille. I like all dentsides,but 73-75 not as much because of the grille.I like the 79's the best.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:51 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
6-10 should buy you a really nice truck if you are patient and don't "fall in love" with something that is over priced. Generally you can find a decent finished truck cheaper that putting one together yourself. You just have to be careful and not buy flashy paint and chrome that covers a bunch of poorly done work.

The economy is slow and some folks need to sell their hobby to cover other expenses.