Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Battery/Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 04:47 PM
pacemaker
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery/Electrical Problem

I have a 2006 Fleetwood RV on a Ford E-350 Cutaway Chassis with a V-10. I have had a parasitic battery drain through the radio, antenna booster etc. I took the battery out and fully charged it and reinstalled the battery. I ran the motor to make sure it was ok and then decided to disconnect the battery to prevent it draining, I left the key in the ignititian and the buzzer was going off, I disconnected the neg cable and the buzzer kept going! I reinstalled the cable, ran the truck again, shut it off, left the key in so I could hear the buzzer, but this time disconnected the pos cable, same thing, the buzzer kept going, with the pos cable off, I went inside and turned the ignition on/off a couple of time and it stopped. Is there a capicitor in the system that would do this or what? Any ideas? I left the coach/house batteries turned off through all of this, so only the chassis battery is involved.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:57 AM
Wolfboro
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I understand correctly , your motorhome has 2 batteries . One is in the engine compartment for functions of the engine . The other is a RV battery for RV equipment ( refrigerator , propane heating system,etc.) . Both batteries are connected to the same charging system , so when the RV is driven, they are charged . Some Rv's has a "discharge protector" that the engine battery is cut-off and not discharged in the event of boondocking , etc .
I never heard a capacitor (as it is in a home A/C-heatpump unit ) , but I am not 100% sure .
If one battery is still hooked up , you might have 12V present in many circuits, especially if the "discharge protector" is not functioning . Good luck.
Ken

Old 01-31-2010, 10:37 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by pacemaker
I have a 2006 Fleetwood RV on a Ford E-350 Cutaway Chassis with a V-10. I have had a parasitic battery drain through the radio, antenna booster etc. I took the battery out and fully charged it and reinstalled the battery. I ran the motor to make sure it was ok and then decided to disconnect the battery to prevent it draining, I left the key in the ignititian and the buzzer was going off, I disconnected the neg cable and the buzzer kept going! I reinstalled the cable, ran the truck again, shut it off, left the key in so I could hear the buzzer, but this time disconnected the pos cable, same thing, the buzzer kept going, with the pos cable off, I went inside and turned the ignition on/off a couple of time and it stopped. Is there a capicitor in the system that would do this or what? Any ideas? I left the coach/house batteries turned off through all of this, so only the chassis battery is involved.
Try actually disconnecting your house battery. I know of no capacitor in your system that could cause this problem, but tradtionally Fleetwood uses a charge line between the house and chassis battery circuits in order to insure the chassis battery will not gradually die, when the coach is on the shoreline for long periods of time. If it were a capacitor drain, it takes only a few seconds for a capacitor to discharge.

If not that, I don't know without actually using a multimeter on system.

Steve

Old 02-04-2010, 07:27 PM
pacemaker
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I thought the house battery may be involved. Where is the discharge protector be and how could I test it? I keep the house batteries turned off except when driving or shore power.