Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

Tennessee Chapter Logo, Banner, shirts and Bumper stickers

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:08 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jdecker88
I would like it butit would cause to many issues I would say.

If it doesn't cause issues with the members here, I wouldn't see why not. I certainly can't say I have issue with that as there were soldiers from my family(like many texas soldiers) that fought with Hood all over this state.

There are alot of misconceptions about that era.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The confederate can not be an option. I have already been told that it can not be used.
Mississippi tried to use it on their logo some years ago and FTE ruled against it.

Sorry. I wish we could use it too, but...

Old 02-10-2010, 02:10 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Neal 97 250
The confederate can not be an option. I have already been told that it can not be used.
Mississippi tried to use it on their logo some years ago and FTE ruled against it.

Sorry. I wish we could use it too, but...

It amazes me the misconception that people have to history. I'm sorry but this is something I have a pet peeve about. I minored in American History when I got my first undergrad degree and the level of misunderstanding, particularly when it relates to our Civil War, is unbelievable. I guess I'm just not PC enough. It reminds me when I was in grade school back home and they tried to get a gentler version of the Texas Revolution to be taught in schools. Pissed me off even back then.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:30 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
Nope, the TN flag is not a flag of the confederacy, it has the US flag layout but 7 stars in a circle in the blue field and 3 stripes, now that would be sweet. The cross is one of Tennessee's flags tho, seems there is a big misunderstanding about that, I can show you some articles by the SCV.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:44 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by maples01
Nope, the TN flag is not a flag of the confederacy, it has the US flag layout but 7 stars in a circle in the blue field and 3 stripes, now that would be sweet. The cross is one of Tennessee's flags tho, seems there is a big misunderstanding about that, I can show you some articles by the SCV.

I did not say the TN state flag was the flag of the confederacy. The cross is the battle flag for all the Confederate troops, it isn't affiliated with any one state over the other. Now individual troops might have their own off shoot of that that is indicative of that particular troop, but the stars and bars is a battle flag of the Confederacy. Not the "official" flag like the circle of stars and it is not affiliated specifically with one state over another within the 11 states of the confederacy(Kentucky and Missouri make up the other two stars even though they were never officially apart of the Confederacy although they did send troops to both sides).

Originally Posted by tex25025
That's the same as the TN state flag. If you are talking about the official flag of the Confederacy that would be the flag with the circle of stars(like the Revolutionary War flag, in fact, that's what they were going for). Or if you mean the more well known, but oftain damned stars and bars flag(in Paco's siggy) then that would actually be the Confederate Battle Flag(most people wrongly think it was the official flag, it was just a battle flag).

You used the term "state" that's were the confusion was. The entire Confederacy in all my readings was never referred to as a "state". So naturally when you said state, I was thinking that you were talking about the TN flag that was used during the Confederacy(some states did change their flags during the confederacy and they remain today(for the time being anyway)) and that was why I said it was the same as the TN state flag. I wasn't saying that the official flag of the Confederacy was the TN state flag. I would find that highly ironic considering TN spent the least amount of time involved with the Confederacy(second to the last to join(Virginia was the last and they joined only because they got the Confederate capital moved to their state) and was the first to join back with the union) and the least amount of time involved with reconstruction, but as far as battlefields go, that's something else entirely.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:30 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
The state flag is under the radar because the hating idiots are addicted to the cross, they don't know of the northern propaganda train that was put on track to destroy the south's reputation, no knowledge of history, so they'd never recognize the real flag. Well each state had it's own flag, that's why I said state flag, had an Indian flag too, believe it had 5 red stars in with the 7 white, red was for the number of tribes or nations.
I can say, Lincoln was not a great man, he sent the military down south, there wasn't confederate troops in these towns, yet there were many citizens who armed themselves to protect whats theirs, not that the soldiers would steal anything (sarcasm). If you had a farm and soldiers are marching through it, disrespecting it due to being disgruntled for being there, think of the loss of crops and animals, your property.
BTW, the south was standing against the larger government, the loss of states rights to govern themselves, what our constitution was based on, they supported the constitution, Lincoln sent troops south to break it up, NO war had been declared, sounds like the revolution, what would Washington think, he'd be in gray.
Who suffered, the Indians, many fought with both the north and south, after, they were sent back to reservations, oh yeah, it was fought for freedom, guess the Indians were the wrong color!
Lets see, our pc country and organizations are for peoples rights, seems the use of my flag is being refused, where are my rights, my organizations rights, my great great great grandfathers rights?
Wanna stop the use of a flag that stood for slavery, flew on sailing ships, and slave ports, well it ain't the confederate one, it wasn't there, it's the good ole stars and stripes.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:01 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
I can say, Lincoln was not a great man, he sent the military down south, there wasn't confederate troops in these towns, yet there were many citizens who armed themselves to protect whats theirs, not that the soldiers would steal anything (sarcasm). If you had a farm and soldiers are marching through it, disrespecting it due to being disgruntled for being there, think of the loss of crops and animals, your property.
BTW, the south was standing against the larger government, the loss of states rights to govern themselves, what our constitution was based on, they supported the constitution, Lincoln sent troops south to break it up, NO war had been declared, sounds like the revolution, what would Washington think, he'd be in gray.
South Carolina had an interesting piece in the paper before Lincoln got elected. It said that if Lincoln was elected then South Carolina was going to declare war.

After Lincoln was elected, in Dec SC left the Union(Dec. 20th, 1860), followed by MS, FL, AL, GA, LA, and TX(in that order, TX joining Feb 1st if I remember correctly). Lincoln didn't take office til March which is where you had FT Sumter and after the fall of that fort you had the last 4 states join the Confederacy.

As to rather or not Washington would be gray or blue that's speculation. Robert E. Lee had said numerous times in his writings that he wouldn't be gray if Virginia hadn't joined the confederacy.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:14 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
BTW, the southern states were having issues with the gov all the way back in 1830, so it wasn't something that just happened either, also I believe I read that Lincoln didn't get the popular vote, it was an electoral win. Yet his death, the new leadership seemed to forgo his plan on not to punish the south, yet there was money to be made, carpet baggers to take what the northern soldiers hadn't stolen.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:23 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
BTW, the southern states were having issues with the gov all the way back in 1830,
It started a littler earlier then that. Not terribly overt mind you, but there were glimmers of what would peak in 1860 before then.

also I believe I read that Lincoln didn't get the popular vote, it was an electoral win.
I think there have been a couple(if not more) elections like that. That's why people tend to disregard popular vote as a true indicator.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:56 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Need to kill the electoral vote system, it is no longer needed, back when the population was low, now as many people voting in the country, it's not needed, in fact it's impeding how the voting process was meant to be.
I picked 1830 because that's when it seemed to be escalating, contrary to the teaching at school, we WERE NOT a United States before or for a while after the Civil War, don't think that's what the forefathers of this country planned, we were to be free, the states, or areas were to be self governing. There was outside aid to the south, even though the government tried to make deals with England to stay out of it.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:17 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
don't think that's what the forefathers of this country planned, we were to be free, the states, or areas were to be self governing.
Well the role of government(or atleast the idea of a centralized government) actually increased. The Fathers realized that with the Articles of Confederation, government was too small, it couldn't do it's job effectively, so there was some changes brought about due to that. Now did they envision it being this big, that I can't tell you because I don't know what they were thinking or what they would be thinking now, I would be inclined to doubt it, but I can't say for certain.

There was outside aid to the south, even though the government tried to make deals with England to stay out of it.
Don't think though that the outside aide was giving due to ideological reasons. They were done as a pure business venture.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:06 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Being the founders fought to be freed from a tyrannical leadership, I'm positive the plan wasn't for theirs to become one, but look what we have now, it's run with the special interest groups best intentions first, screw the people.
One was different, came from Australia, but they were a bit late and what they did would be known as piracy since the war was over, was against the crown, so they put their lives on the line.
Oh yeah, business and don't forget, the fact that it was breaking the nation that defeated the British, don't think they would not like to contribute!

Old 02-16-2010, 02:12 AM
freekyFX4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I step out for a month, and I miss all kinds of stuff. I like the current logo. Why fix something that isn't broken? (unless it's just too complex to make a vector file)

Old 02-16-2010, 06:06 AM
torkum
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea freeky, our TN Chapter is like Tennessee -we take alot of twists and turns

Old 02-16-2010, 08:00 AM
George Frasier
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The history "debate" was verrry interesting ( from the view-point of an Oregon 'webfoot') but am glad we're back on the issue of the logo again. The main issue I see is the complexity of the coloring/shading during the printing process. When the weather clears a bit, I'll get off this mountain to see about getting a couple bids on the job. May even get a few suggestins at the same time. . . STILL watching. Like most, I like the "Stars & Bars" background, but if it's changed for some reason I'd suggest the current TN flag to make it a TN logo.

Quick Reply: Tennessee Chapter Logo, Banner, shirts and Bumper stickers