General Automotive Discussion

Info on title information.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:16 PM
papajoemrt
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Info on title information.

I posted earlier this month on buying a Lincoln LS.

I found a gem online and called for information and received little feedback.

2005 Lincoln LS V8

So I went to carfax, paid the 40 bucks which I regret because i had a feeling something was up.

Turns out the car is a total loss vehicle, has a salvage title, and a flood damage title. What does this all mean? If you looked at the link I provided it looks like a clean car inside and out. The carfax stated that the accident was in the left front and was severe so it couldn't be driven away. The car looks fine, do I take my chance and go take a look at this car that is over an hour away from where I'm at, what do I look for? It's a nice looking car that has been maintained pretty well according to the carfax history report and it's from Virginia.

Any help out there please?

Old 01-25-2010, 07:47 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
It's possible the dealer typed in the VIN incorrectly on the website. Maybe, maybe not. If you've got a feeling something is up, though, I'd recommend following your gut and moving on.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:57 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,595 Likes on 1,300 Posts
Accident and flood? NO SALE!

Lots of cars out there, as per prior post, keep looking.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:00 PM
papajoemrt
Elder User
That's what I thought. I guess I'm going to have to wait on it. I knew there was something wrong when the car was posted half of what it probably should be. Too bad I didn't go with my gut prior to the 40 dollar carfax.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:31 AM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
If you want to satisfy your curiousity
- Check the dealer out on the Better Business Bureau website
- no record would probably be bad
- poor record would obviously be bad

- If they seem reputable, then ask them about the title. They should have mentioned the type of title in the ad. At the very least, they should be willing to say why they think it's worth anything.

Generally, I've heard that flood vehicles are poor risks. The water just does too much damage.

Major rebuilds are more iffy. A good shop can fix a lot of stuff. However, a bad shop can cover up a lot of stuff.

Maybe the carfax is wrong, but probably the $40 saved you a few $k.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:51 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Depending on the severity of the damage, if you were to take a chance to purchase and fix this vehicle, it may still never be right. The frame could be tweaked or it could simply cost more than it's worth.

Probably a good parts car.

Tim

Old 01-26-2010, 01:29 PM
papajoemrt
Elder User
I may stop by on my way to a doctor's appointment to check it out. I'll check it out and use my best judgement on the damage but I'm far from an expert on electrical components. I would have jumped on this deal in a heartbeat if it didn't have a bad rep. But the BBB gave the car dealer a B+.

Looking at other cars from the inventory on their web-sites I'm just guessing that a lot of them have the same kind of title. There are Cadillacs with less than 50k miles selling for less than 10k. Same scenario here, definitely not going to look into this car now.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:00 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,107 Likes on 2,168 Posts
if it is like a lot of smaller used car lots, it is a consignment car. the cars get loaded on a semi and spend a few months at the lot. if it don't sell there, it gets loaded up and shipped to another lot.
a car that had a bad enough hit to be salvaged means it had at least 40% of book value repair costs. as was said, if it was repaired by a good shop, there is nothing to worry about. but there are many many shops that do a halfassed job, and hide things with bondo, seam sealer, and sometimes plain old house window caulk and then paint over it.
add to that the flood salvage, and i would run away from that car.
water damage does all kinds of weird things to computers and electrical connections.

not to mention mold spores hiding in the AC/heat vents, carpets and seats just waiting to be activated.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:18 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,107 Likes on 4,191 Posts
Does the CARFAX actually say flood damage...or...does it say that it comes from a flood prone area??? A few years ago that branding was added to the reports...not necessarily the title if it hasn't actually been under water to some degree.

For a salvage title due to body damage...50% of average retail is about the going rate.

If the car has indeed been in a flood...take everyone's advice and run the other way.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:57 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,107 Likes on 2,168 Posts
they upper the damage to 50% now Ken?? i know it was 40% a few years ago.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:13 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,107 Likes on 4,191 Posts
Tom...I was referring to the percentage of retail book that a car with a salvage title typically sells for...not the percentage to declare it totalled.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:07 PM
papajoemrt
Elder User
It physically said flood damage and a certificate or something was issued. I'm staying away from it. I want a trustworthy car not something held together by bondo and one bump away from an electrical short.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:46 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by papajoemrt
Too bad I didn't go with my gut prior to the 40 dollar carfax.
That's one way to look at it. But I would say instead that that was perhaps the best $40 you ever spent. A lot better than just following your gut. Plus, you still have the rest of the month to check out other cars.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:54 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by fmc400
It's possible the dealer typed in the VIN incorrectly on the website.
Extremely unlikely. VINs have a check digit in them and if you make a mistake in the VIN it won't decode.

If a deal seems to good to be true it probably is. Sounds like this one is no exception. You are smart to stay away from this vehicle. Find one with a clean title and a good history and it will last you a long time.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:37 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> a flood damage title

Probably repaired by non-English speaking Mexicans working for $10 an hour cash, seriously. Then they keep curbing it until someone with no moral values manages to sell it. I say the $40 was a good investment.

Quick Reply: Info on title information.