1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk Catalytic Converters...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 10:27 AM
CNC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's talk Catalytic Converters...

So I'm having this high rpm power loss problem and someone here suggested maybe a clogged catalytic converter. Next week my mechanic is going to change out the new spark plugs he installed and put in Ford plugs. He did a bunch of work on the truck and he can't figure out the high rpm power loss problem. I'm going to let him change the plugs and who knows, maybe something wasn't right with them? At least I have some hope for this.

If I still have the problem I think the next step would be to change out the catalytic converter. I did a quick search and found so many of them out there and they vary so much in price.

Who makes a good cataylic converter for a 2003 F-250, 4x4, supercab, 5.4L engine? I'm looking for something that would be a direct fit and good quality. Also, how much do they cost?

Old 01-24-2010, 02:53 PM
bill64
Senior User
walker makes a very good direct replacement cat, their also a oem. supplier. i used one on my '94 f250, it was a walker direct fit which looked exactly like the ford cat i removed, but had no ford logo's stamped on it, also cost less than half of what the ford dealer wanted

Old 01-24-2010, 04:08 PM
CNC
Senior User
Originally Posted by bill64
walker makes a very good direct replacement cat, their also a oem. supplier. i used one on my '94 f250, it was a walker direct fit which looked exactly like the ford cat i removed, but had no ford logo's stamped on it, also cost less than half of what the ford dealer wanted
Bill; thanks for the info. What did you pay for the converter if you don't mind me asking?

Old 01-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It may be your O2 sensors. They are located in the Y-pipe of the exhaust system. As I understand it, the O2 sensors monitor the amount of contaminates in the exhaust. The PCM regulates the amount of fuel/air mixture to maximize the burning of these contaminates in the catalytic converters. Of course, the catalytic converters could be used up as well.

If after the Motorcraft plugs are installed you still have performance issues, I would replace the O2 sensors. They can be purchased at NAPA, Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, etc. You will need to use some penetrating oil on the threads before trying to remove them. If that doesn't fix the performance issue, then the catalytic converters may need to be replaced. You would want to install new O2 sensors with the new catalytic converters, which is why I recommend replacing the O2 sensors first.

Here is a link on how to replace the O2 sensors... I know, it's a BMW.

M62 Oxygen Sensor Replacement

Also, Bear River Converters sells catalytic converters and is a FTE Sponsor.

Bear River Converters - Wholesale distributors of catalytic converters

Old 01-24-2010, 04:33 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Magna Flow and Walker are the only two I can think of that direct fit and worth their price. Catco is a cheapy, and as far as I know Random Tech performance cats come bare tube. However, a clogged cat will get really hot and cause all kinds of take off issues. Look at your cat next time your driving around, if it's not glowing it's possible it's okay.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:40 PM
bill64
Senior User
cnc, i think the cat cost me about 375$ give or take, ford wanted close to 1000$ and had to order it, i needed it for the imissions test, it worked just fine, also exactly the same cat i removed , it was the same in every respect.
also a partially clogged fuel filter will cause a high rpm power loss, usually the engine will just "leval off" at a certain rpm with a clogged fuel filter, ive seen that many times.
cat's cost big money, you can have someone check it by drilling a hole in the exhaust before the cat and check back pressure before buying a new cat. the hole is usually rivited shut or mig welded after the back pressure test.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:02 PM
CNC
Senior User
Originally Posted by bill64
cnc, i think the cat cost me about 375$ give or take, ford wanted close to 1000$ and had to order it, i needed it for the imissions test, it worked just fine, also exactly the same cat i removed , it was the same in every respect.
also a partially clogged fuel filter will cause a high rpm power loss, usually the engine will just "leval off" at a certain rpm with a clogged fuel filter, ive seen that many times.
cat's cost big money, you can have someone check it by drilling a hole in the exhaust before the cat and check back pressure before buying a new cat. the hole is usually rivited shut or mig welded after the back pressure test.
Thanks for all the replies and information.

It's funny you mention the fuel filter. I originally had a bunch of work done by my mechanic; coolant change, trans service, fuel filter, spark plugs, and pcv valve. I noticed the high rpm power loss after the work and my mechanic has since changed the fuel filter with another (napa), and changed out the trans filter with one from Ford. Later this week he's going to put in Ford plugs. Maybe the napa filter isn't as good as oem?
Anyone ever have experience with a bad aftermarket fuel filter?

Old 01-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Charlie Bravo
Elder User

[QUOTE=Furian;8414514]It may be your O2 sensors. They are located in the Y-pipe of the exhaust system. As I understand it, the O2 sensors monitor the amount of contaminates in the exhaust. The PCM regulates the amount of fuel/air mixture to maximize the burning of these contaminates in the catalytic converters. Of course, the catalytic converters could be used up as well.

What would the O2 sensors do if I gutted the cats. Best,CB

Old 01-25-2010, 05:31 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Maybe the napa filter isn't as good as oem?
Theres nothing wrong with Napa fuel filters. I use the Napa Gold filters on 4 Ford vehicles (all the same filter as SD) and they work fine.

The mechanic may have pulled something loose also. I would buy a can of MAF cleaner and clean the MAF sensor to rule that out. Go over everything and make shure no wire is pulled or something is loose.

Later this week he's going to put in Ford plugs.
What plugs did he put in? How many miles on the truck?

What would the O2 sensors do if I gutted the cats. Best,CB
If you have an O2 senor after the cats your CEL will come on and stay on. Gutting the cats on a new 2009 truck is probably one of the dumbest things you can do, its under warrenty and gutting the cats will more than likely do more harm than good.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
If you have an O2 senor after the cats your CEL will come on and stay on. Gutting the cats on a new 2009 truck is probably one of the dumbest things you can do, its under warrenty and gutting the cats will more than likely do more harm than good.
I agree with dkf... The OEM catalytic converters/Y-pipe is a very expensive part from Ford. If you gut the cat's and take your truck in for warranty work, the dealership most likely would void your warranty for any engine related issue.

CB, if you are wanting better engine performance, look into a SCT X3 tuner with custom tunes from 5 Star Tuning.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Charlie Bravo
Elder User

Originally Posted by Furian
I agree with dkf... The OEM catalytic converters/Y-pipe is a very expensive part from Ford. If you gut the cat's and take your truck in for warranty work, the dealership most likely would void your warranty for any engine related issue.

CB, if you are wanting better engine performance, look into a SCT X3 tuner with custom tunes from 5 Star Tuning.
I'm not tearing into this truck, just asking what would happen. Best, CB

Old 01-26-2010, 01:35 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just the 5.4 L v8? f you don't use the truck for heavy towing, you can probably get by just fine with a "universal" style replacement. Something like this:

MagnaFlow 94109 - MagnaFlow Universal Catalytic Converters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

You have to select the proper size and air tube configuration, of course. And make your own adapters to fit, or have it installed at a muffler shop. I have used several of these over the years with no problem. They can keep up with small blocks under typical driving conditions. I used a 3" Walker behind the HT383 in my old tow van and it lasted several years.

If you do heavy towing (continuous cruising at half throttle or more), you do need a much more massive cat, like a stock replacement.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:41 PM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by mwsF250
If you do heavy towing (continuous cruising at half throttle or more), you do need a much more massive cat, like a stock replacement.
wow, no kidding? i wasn't aware of that. yikes, pulled my 24ft enclosed quite a bit last summer and plan to this year too, and i have a small universal magnaflow cat. hmm.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:48 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You'll get by for a while, as I did with my 383. The risk is that the much smaller catalyst grid in the small universals is more likely to overheat or plug up. If there is not enough surface area of catalyst to keep up with exhaust volume, it can't do its job properly. Since I do all my own pipe work and welding, it is much cheaper for me to run the universal and replace if/when needed.

If you lose top end power, fail a smog test, or have post cat 02 sensor and a check engine light, include the cat at the top of your "suspects" list.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:33 PM
CNC
Senior User
[quote=dkf;8419769]Theres nothing wrong with Napa fuel filters. I use the Napa Gold filters on 4 Ford vehicles (all the same filter as SD) and they work fine.

The mechanic may have pulled something loose also. I would buy a can of MAF cleaner and clean the MAF sensor to rule that out. Go over everything and make shure no wire is pulled or something is loose.

What plugs did he put in? How many miles on the truck?
quote]

Truck has 76,000 miles and I'm not sure what plugs he used. He already changed out just about everything that he installed to begin with. He swapped out the trans filter and put in a Ford filter. He swapped out the Napa fuel filter and installed another. He's going to change out the plugs and use Ford plugs. I'm really hoping that it's something with the plugs.

I'll mention to my mechanic about the 02 sensors and the converter as the next thing to look at if the problem still exists? I'll also mention to him to look for any loose connections.

Quick Reply: Let's talk Catalytic Converters...