Sponsored by: Moser

Revisiting Headlight Replacement Issue - Non-HID

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:00 AM
NY-Ford-Lifer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Revisiting Headlight Replacement Issue - Non-HID

So I'm not interested in an HID replacement kit because of the problems I've read about in the various forums. This leaves me with the following options and am interested in what you think based upon your experiences. A broad summary of what I've read follows.

Sylvania Silverstars - so so feedback, short life not much improvement over OEM

Philips Extreme - better feedback, harder to find

Hella - hardly any input but a top notch company, anyone try their headlight bulb replacements?

Old 01-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had silverstars....wouldn't buy them again....they're crappy performance and burn out too quickly...

Phillips crystal vision ultras......EXCELLENT bulbs....and great light output ..... i got them from bulbs.com

I still like my hid's the best.....but i'd take phillips as a second choice...

Old 01-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Aztrainer
Posting Guru
I put the Crystal Vision also and they are great. Not as bright as HID's, but WAYYYYY better than the OEM. The only downside is that they are a little hard to find. Get them at bulbs.com

Old 01-10-2010, 05:52 PM
NY-Ford-Lifer
Senior User
I've heard the CrystalVisions are HID wanna-bes (whitish light) but in a halogen bulb while the X-tremes are simply the brightest halogen on the market. I still wonder how the Hellas compare.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:23 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put the Silverstars in my truck shortly after I got it and have liked them, surprisingly they haven't burned out yet. Although I have heard that they have a lot shorter life but I haven't experienced it yet.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:27 PM
mtondreo
Senior User
Oddly enough, our local Kmart carries the Phillips Ultras. I just keep forgetting to run by and pick up a set as that is what I am going to try also. Also, figure if I do not like them - I will just take them back. Thx, Mike

Old 01-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
most kmarts i've been to don't carry the bulb we need.......I've got a family member who purchased a set of crystal vision ultras, extremes, and vision plus and tried them all (he's since switched to hid's) and of the three he liked the vision ultras the best...

Old 01-17-2010, 09:30 AM
murph1
Senior User
I thought that I would get used to these headlights,but I have to say that they really do suck....
I have been running with my fog lamps on to help and have adjusted them up,that seems to help some...but the headlights just seem to go out about 40 yards or so and just stop....seems like you are about to drive over a cliff,without any street lights you cannot even see the road...

so without making the big jump to HID lamping system,have any of you personally tried the crystal vision ultras,and how much of a differance do they make??

when I first bought the truck I was going up north hunting,on the road at 3.30 am....
I start to see glass on the road and then see what looked a patio table laying upside down on the road,couldnt see the glass until the last second and I just missed the table....after going another 1/4 mile after changing lanes I see a full size bedroom dresser laying in my lane lengthwise with the road....
I just missed it by inches....I then see a truck pulled over just a little ways further,it was packed at least 4ft. over the cab of the truck with furniture..(kind of like somebody got kicked out after they came home from the bar..)

The old 99 f150 I had I would have been able to see that mess in the road way earlier than with this new truck,it seems as though my LED flashlight shines out in front of the truck better...
sorry for the rant but these are terrible...
I'm going to try and adjust these tonite in the driveway and see if they get any better..

Old 01-17-2010, 09:38 AM
mtondreo
Senior User
I just put the Crystal Ultras on my Expy this week (picked up at Kmart, 9006 bulb). They make a difference, but I would not say huge. I have not yet got them adjusted properly but I would say make the switch. Even if your not ecstatic with them (they are good) - you are only out $30 and they will hold you over if you decide to go HID. I am most likely staying with these bulbs because they do a good enough job for me. I meant to leave one of each (wagners were in there) and try them and see if I saw a difference, but it was daytime when I did it. They definitely light up better than the wagners that were in there. It is also a whiter light, but not realy white. I did not swap out the high beams because I rarely use them. Now I am trying to find a decent led for the fogs. Thanks, Mike

Old 01-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Dark_Wizard
New User
I have the Philips Extremes on my truck and did a mini review on the other forum. IMO they are about 60-70% brighter than stock bulbs.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:54 PM
mtondreo
Senior User
little update. Took the time to align my lights (major pita) and the lights are much better than the stock or the wagners that were in there - not sure if they were stock. thanks, Mike

Old 01-31-2010, 08:03 AM
murph1
Senior User
well I replaced the headlight bulbs with the sylvania silverstars....big differance for me...I can see down the road a lot further and I can actually see the road now.....couldn't find the ultras anywhere in town..but the silverstars are available here......we'll see how they last....

Old 01-31-2010, 09:47 AM
mtondreo
Senior User
glad you like the silverstars. I actually had my first long drive on the highway and will tell you the ultras made a big difference. I am very impressed with them now. Still struggling with reverse lights but I iwll probably go back to the original idea just putting a camera in. Also I want to do something with the fogs but have not decided what yet. Enjoy, Mike.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:57 PM
mldmkr1960
Senior User
Im going to put Philips Crystal Vision in my 2012 F150. Whats the easiest way to get at these blubs so it isn't a 3 hour job!

Old 04-21-2013, 08:19 PM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its pretty simple. Two 10mm bolts on top. Remove the phillips head retainer on the rubber flap to the inside of each headlight and move the flap to the side. One more 10mm bolt under there. Then just pull the unit straight out. You'll feel some resistance. There's a couple of clips on the outboard side that need to release. Be steady but firm and they will pop out. Should take you about 15 minutes tops to change both both bulbs.

Quick Reply: Revisiting Headlight Replacement Issue - Non-HID