Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Junior User

hgufrin is starting off with a positive reputation.
5.4 Oil Filter Non Remote Diagram

My 99 Exp 5.4L continues to leak like a sieve. I can actually see the oil streaming down from around the filter somewhere(non remote - its mounted to engine). It's not the filter because this has been going on for some time (have change filter 10x's already) and now just got worse.

How can it be leaking from around the filter? It appears that the filter is actually mounted to some pad and not the block directly. Is this so?

Are there gaskets around there that need to be replaced or something?

Does anyone have an exploded diagram of the engine block and its components?

In addition, how is there engine oil coming from under my radiator???

I sure would appreciate any advice.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Freshman User

go_phx is starting off with a positive reputation.
Are you sure you have removed the old oil filter gasket? It appears from your description that one of your old oil filter gaskets has remained on the oil filter mounting area of the block. That area should be clean and flat...there is no pad there.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Posting Guru

madsonp has a good reputation on FTE.madsonp has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_phx View Post
Are you sure you have removed the old oil filter gasket? It appears from your description that one of your old oil filter gaskets has remained on the oil filter mounting area of the block. That area should be clean and flat...there is no pad there.
I agree, that's what I'd look at first, there's been a number of people here that have had the same issue, and that's what ended up being the problem. The oil from under your radiator could be a tranny fluid leak from the tranny fluid cooler part of the radiator. There's a couple of lines from your tranny to your radiator, check these connections at the radiator, they could be loose.
42 Ford 9N Tractor (old pig)

Old 01-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Junior User

Definitely not the filter.

Anyone else have a diagram or anything? A parts list?
Old 01-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Avid Winter Hater

MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
There is an oil filter adapter that bolts to the block. There is a gasket between this adapter and the block. I would check and see if the oil is coming from there. The oil pressure switch screws into it and I believe there are 4 bolts holding it on. It will probably be a bugger to get to due to the location.
Hope & A Prayer Motorsports
Old 01-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Senior User

minitrk is starting off with a positive reputation.
To find the DEFINITE location of said leak, go to your favorite auto parts store and get some dye that you add to your oil, and get the UV light to go with it. Drive around for an hour or so, then climb under your truck with the UV light and have a look. That will tell you EXACTLY where the leak is. For future reference they sell dyes to go in oil, anti-freeze, A/C, P/S, and tranny.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Posting Guru

fordtech08 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
the Pad is an oil coolerand the back side tends to leak, your oil under the radiator could also be oil running down your frame or a hose from the engine lrak
77 F100
Old 01-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Junior User

Thanks for input. I just purchased that pad for $13.49.

There is no need to add silicone or anything to it right?

I will try the dye if this doesnt work.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Posting Guru

fordtech08 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgufrin View Post
Thanks for input. I just purchased that pad for $13.49.

There is no need to add silicone or anything to it right?

I will try the dye if this doesnt work.

you mean you got the plastic gasket with rubber inserts and it's in the shape of a "L" that goes behind the pad that holds the oil filter, then no do not put silicone on it
77 F100
Old 01-04-2010, 01:05 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
1999, 2000, 54, diagram, expedition, filter, ford, gasket, leak, litre, location, motor, oil, replacement, truck