1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

greasing wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 11:19 PM
63' f100
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
greasing wheel bearings

I have a shop manual for my 1963 f100 4x4. The manual says that it is unnecessary to grease the rear wheel bearings.

Why would i have to grease the front ones and not the back ones?

also, like i said its a 4x4. To get to the bearings do i just take the locking hubs off?

the part that you actually physically turn with your hand to engage the 4 wheel drive is kinda hard to turn, so it could use some grease too. again, do i just take off the screws around it?

Please help the n00b.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:05 AM
Gale Hawkins
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
63 they use different approach. Many rears oil from the rear end oil. Older front bearings where the same as trailer bearings in that they were serviceable (could remove and repack). Newer vehicles including OTR trucks like Volvo are going to sealed hub assemblies that you remove and toss as a unit. The cost difference is HUGE (just redone the Blazer) for these newer vehicles with sealed hub assemblies.

With wheel bearing being cheap in the real world most seem to drive them to they start roaring and just replace with new ones. My brother driving an Volvo tractor rig had one go down on him last week at 400K miles. The road side service guy told him Volvo PM guide states to replace them at 350K miles. Had that been down it would have saved a lot of cash and down time.