1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

t cases, t bars, and cross members

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 04:49 PM
fordf150farmer
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
t cases, t bars, and cross members

howdy ya'll. im back again. so today i started removing my transfer case to replace it. i got both drive shafts off and the transfer case skid plate. i was about to start unbolting the case from the transmision when i noticed that the cross member that houses the torsion bar ends is right smack in the way. seeing this i got on here and did a search. i went back out and jacked up the front and supported it on the jack and stands and i unloaded the tbars. it took nine full turns on the driver side and 13 on the passenger side. the pasenger side is loose and jiggles around but the driver side still feels to be under tension. what gives?? the bolt is almost completely out and all that is touching is the little peice of metal that holds the bolt and the key that the t bar is in. can any one tell me why it still has tension on it? also i have both ends of both bars soaking till tomoro. there is a small hole in the cross member behind each bar. am i correct in assuming that i put a punch or air hammer in this hole to drive the bars forward? and if so how do you get them back in when your done? sorry for the long post. please help!! i need my truck back on the road before xmas. if you have anything i need to clarify please go ahead and post as i check this often.

Thank you all in advance for any help you can give

my truck: 97 f150 4x4 off road extended cab. 4.6 liter engine with the 4406 shift on the fly transfer case (shifts on the dash board)

Old 12-21-2009, 06:00 AM
torkum
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you using the C clamp style tool to unload the torsion bar? If so, keep turning.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:44 AM
fordf150farmer
Tuned
all i did was back off the bolts that hold the tension on the bars. the bars stick inside the cross member with a key on the end. under the long end of the key is a little oblong piece of metal that sits on the front and back edges of the cross member with a bolt sticking straight up through the center that pushes on the key. so all i did was back these bolts off. on the passenger side it worked and there is enough play that i think with some help from a BFH it will come out. but i am worried about the driver side. the wheel is all the way off of the ground and the bolt is backed down to the point where the key is resting ont the oblong peice of metal. should i get a c clamp to take the pressure off of this peice of metal, remove it and the bolt, and then remove the c clamp? i can wiggle the bolt and piece of metal with the rachet i am using so i have to be close. would a c clamp give me that little extra that i need?

Old 12-21-2009, 04:54 PM
fordf150farmer
Tuned
is there something that i am missing? i got the bars unloaded and now i am trying to knock them towards the front so that i can get the cross member out. but nothing is moving at all. the bars have soaked in penatrant for 24 hours and ive been abusing them pretty bad but they will not budge. would it be possible to unbolt the cross member and then move it around in such a way that i could get it below the frame with the bars still in it? and if i could would it give me enough room to get the transfer case out over top of it?

Old 12-21-2009, 07:40 PM
torkum
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like all the load is on the driverside. You can use the C clamp but will have to remove the flat base. The C clamp will allow you to unload it safely.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:11 AM
96f150
Fleet Mechanic
Isn't the t-case to transmission adapter the thing thats bolted to the crossmember? I thought the t-case is just bolted up to the adapter?
Rich

Old 12-22-2009, 09:31 AM
fordf150farmer
Tuned
there is a cross member either bolted to the adaptor or to the back of the transmision (i dont rmember which) but there is a cross member that houses the torsion bars that is directly below and behind the transfer case. this is in the way of removal and has to be taken out.