1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'56 Back on the Road

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Dr G
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'56 Back on the Road

Well, I got the ’56 back on the road yesterday after a few months on jack stands.

I bought the truck back in September. It was delivered to Van Nuys from MN. Once it rolled off the trailer, I drove it around the block with my wife, and concluded it was leaking fluid from every orifice, the power steering being the worst offender. It had a GM steering box conversion, so I bought a rebuilt Nova box, installed it, and then concluded I did not like the way it flexed the frame due to the load path. That is when I decided the brakes were a little lackluster and could use some attending to.

So, it now has a new straight axle rack and pinion kit, new PS hoses, new brake booster and MC from CPP with new prop valve and new residual pressure valves. The brake fittings were all stripped so I had to bend and install new hard lines, and added new stainless flex lines also (front and back). The caliper seals were shot, so I’ve got new from calipers and rotors (disc conversion up front). I re-worked the brake pedal pivot (PO had left the clutch pedal in even though it has a C6). Basically, aside from the rear drums, the entire brake system is new.

I recovered the seat with foam and covers from Mid-50’s. My wife picked the colors and thinks the truck is cute. Good, what makes her happy makes me happy. I also fixed a bunch of little stuff. I think the PO’s vision of this truck was that he’d just drive it until it rusted away, and as such would be a cool old truck. My vision is that it not be rusted and that everything should at least be oiled, greased or painted, and work correctly. Though I don’t currently plan on making it a frame-off or anything.

I replaced the shocks with Bilsteins as reported in an earlier post last week.

Driving report: The solid axle R&P is fantastic. The steering is perfectly precise, absolutely no play. The turning radius is perhaps a bit reduced due to limited rack travel, but nothing too bad. So far I recommend it highly.

The brakes, however, are absolutely atrocious. At first it was difficult to even hold the truck at a standstill against push of the torque converter. Things got a bit better after some driving around, but you still have to plan way ahead for stops and locking the tires is out of the question. So something is not right, and I don’t know what yet. I did have a PS hose blow last weekend dumping PS fluid all over the engine compartment. In the process of cleaning that up, some fluid did get on the rotors, which I cleaned with brake cleaner. But perhaps the pads got contaminated and need to be replaced. Also, a double pump of the pedal does firm up the feel, which leads me to believe there is still air somewhere. I did bench bleed the MC, and bled the brakes several times until zero air could be detected coming out of the nipples. Perhaps raising only the front of the truck and re-bleeding will get some air moving. I’ve ordered a remote reservoir kit from CPP as filling the MC under the cab is a real pain. We’ll see how that goes. Not sure what the verdict is on remote reservoirs.

The Bilsteins are not nearly as stiff as I expected. In fact, they are quite pleasant. Though I definitely notice the lack of a front sway bar. It is not possible to use the anti-roll bar that attaches to the axle, as it interferes with the rack mounting. I plan to fabricate some type of anti-roll bar that attaches to the front core support, with arms leading back to the axle with drop links. The un-sprung mass of the AR bar and steering rack just about cancel out btw, as 18 lbs each.

I’ve got more pics of everything which I will post later one.

Gustave

Old 12-14-2009, 12:02 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
I love it! I didnt notice at first but its a big window too! Sits nice and I love those stock rims and caps

Old 12-14-2009, 12:19 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
A couple things to check on the brakes would be making sure the rear drums are adjusted properly, and that the calipers are on the correct sides, with the bleeder screws at the top of the bore. I don't know what calipers come in your kit, but some have the ability to be swapped, side to side, and appear to be correct, but are not, trapping air at the top of the piston bore causing never ending braking frustration. If the problem existed prior to losing the PS line, then that is not all of your problem. (Although I'm sure it didn't help)

Old 12-14-2009, 12:37 PM
jaye
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gustave it looks great I love the stance your truck has. What number did you get for the Bilsteins, I was thinking of getting some, if you don't mind me asking what did you pay for them & did you get the same ones for the front & back.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Dr G
Senior User

Originally Posted by jaye
Gustave it looks great I love the stance your truck has. What number did you get for the Bilsteins, I was thinking of getting some, if you don't mind me asking what did you pay for them & did you get the same ones for the front & back.
Hi Jaye - my Bilstein post can be seen here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...6-1-2-ton.html

The shocks are not the same front and rear. I believe I paid $89 per shock from CPP.

I also like the stance of the truck, the PO nailed that. Though what springs were use to achieve it is a bit of a mistery. Looks like leaves were removed to soften them up. In any case, the ride is great, and although bump travel is only about 2 inches front and rear, there is no bottoming, even when driving over the lovely drainage culverts they installed at intersections around my neighborhood.

Gustave

Old 12-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Dr G
Senior User

Originally Posted by 52 Merc
A couple things to check on the brakes would be making sure the rear drums are adjusted properly, and that the calipers are on the correct sides, with the bleeder screws at the top of the bore. I don't know what calipers come in your kit, but some have the ability to be swapped, side to side, and appear to be correct, but are not, trapping air at the top of the piston bore causing never ending braking frustration. If the problem existed prior to losing the PS line, then that is not all of your problem. (Although I'm sure it didn't help)
Thanks Wayne. Funny you mention the calipers, as I almost did install them upside down, before I wondered where the bleeder nipples were! So I did finally get that part right.

I did not drive the truck with new brakes prior to the PS leak. Judging by the ability of the brakes at stopping the truck (almost nil), there has got to be some PS fluid on those pads. Even with air in the lines, it should be possible to stop the truck better than it does now. I know pads need to bed-in and all, but this is real bad. Pretty much the whole front of the truck ended up covered in this thin slimey PS fluid film that is almost impossible to get off. Probably using a power washer to try to blow some of it off just caused the water to carry it to new places, like the front brakes!

The pads were cheap, so replacing them is a no brainer. The air in the system will be more of a challenge.

Gustave

Old 12-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Dr G
Senior User

Originally Posted by 52 Merc
A couple things to check on the brakes would be making sure the rear drums are adjusted properly,
It just clicked why this could cause a soft pedal. If the shoes are not contacting the drum right away, then you're going to suck up some pedal travel before things settle and the pedal stiffens up. I'll have to check them, as I've not yet done so.

It is probably only one of several things affecting my poor braking though.

Gustave

Old 12-14-2009, 01:42 PM
54 gene
Senior User
sweet looking truck.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:42 PM
daves54
Elder User
Very nice have fun with it!

Old 12-14-2009, 08:30 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Nice 56....looks like the raven black 56 I just got in Columbus today. Actually just the drivetrain....a smooth running yblock with 43k on it,and the same original wheels and dog dishes and wide white walls. The truck just got here(Ohio) from Las Vegas and it is rare to see original clean 56s like that.
I got the tailgate and the original air conditioning and all the brackets from it also.
The stock wheels and tires are real nice.....and when I saw this black beauty....it looks like my twin.......Bill

Old 12-15-2009, 10:43 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Hey Bill, you trying to corner the market in 56's or establishing an homage museum dedicated to the 56??? How many do you have now?

Old 12-15-2009, 03:00 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Ax...more than I need. I always said...when the time comes I would start buying them up,and now is the time.
I just got home from my last buy and got it in the barn. The panel truck is coming next week so I won't have to pay storage.
I cannot turn down a cheap 56.....or 56 parts that are cheap....LOL
It sure pays to be addiment and look and shop. Rarely do I impulse buy....and Terri is the judge as to weather I get it or not.
I also just talked a guy from putting a chevy clip and 454 in his 56,and now he has a 351 in it. Makes a nice truck. JMHO!

AX....Whn will Gracie be cruising....or is it already?
Bill

Old 12-16-2009, 01:17 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
not yet, unexpected retirement has put us in a financial crimp so there hasn't been extra funds lately. Things should improve soon tho.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:20 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Yes...Our investments are coming around and almost back to where we originally started,before this crunch.
I found a nice 55 panel. Hope you get Gracie going soon....KSmith really told me alot,and he really thinks alot of you. I like Ksmith alot....great guy.....Bill