Removing rust from/painting over chrome

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:24 PM
swamp man
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing rust from/painting over chrome

Not exactly a truck question, as it's about an old bicycle I'm bringing back to life, but I figured y'all might be the ones to ask...

Frame is fully chromed, a little rusted in spots, heavily rusted in others. Is there any way I can remove the chrome, or rough and prime it to take and hold paint? This ain't gotta' be a show-stopper, just presentable.

Thanks for any replies.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:09 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've painted over chrome before and the best way to do it is to have it stripped by a chrome shop. It's cheap and effective and allows the metal underneath to be primed and painted like any other non-chrome metal surface. I've also sand-blasted chrome and it works well, but is slower. You may want to check with your local paint store since there may be a good epoxy primer that allows paint to stick to chrome since there seems to be something new every time I visit the paint store.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:39 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you wanted to go cheaper and easier, and the bike only has a few rust spots you can actually remove all the rust, feather edge the repair where the rust was, lay a slight amount of filler to glaze over where there is now no chrome, feather edge the filler smooth, then rough up the rest of the frame for paint. Depends on what type and brand of paint you use, but you can actually scuff the chrome with anywhere from 320-400g sandpaper and the paint will bite.