1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

84 F150 Frame Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Richardl12
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newrider3
*facepalm*

DO NOT try to fix rust with bondo. That is the most half-assed way to go about it. It isn't durable, will probably just fall off eventually, plus bondo isn't for filling holes in the first place. And it doesn't address the issue at hand, which is that your body is rotted. You need to replace the metal with patch panels (please don't just rivet them, do it right and weld them in).
where do I get patch panels to fit this truck?

Old 12-03-2009, 07:30 PM
newrider3
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 12-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Richardl12
Freshman User
Thank you. This looks really good (alot better than the sites I found when I searched)

Old 12-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Richardl12
Freshman User
OK this might be a really stupid question but Ill ask it anyways. Is there an inner fender for the right side? That sight has an inner fender for the left side but not the right side.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:53 PM
newrider3
Elder User
If I were you I would request a catalog from LMC, it's free and much easier to deal with than the webpage.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Richardl12
Freshman User
Originally Posted by newrider3
If I were you I would request a catalog from LMC, it's free and much easier to deal with than the webpage.
Alright, I requested one and Ill check it out when it gets here, but on the webpage It showed that they sold an inner fender for the left side but not the right. And the thing that confuses me is they show a support for the inner fender for the right side but it says nothing about having an inner fender for the right side. Maybe Im just missing something or im stupid (which is very likely).

Old 12-03-2009, 11:04 PM
newrider3
Elder User
You have to look at the list, not just the illustration. It's there.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Richardl12
Freshman User
Am I missing it? This is what I am looking at:

Old 12-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, he's right I don't see it on the list... hmm that's weird. I would call them and ask if there is some kind of error in their listings. Also check out Bronco Graveyard's website, I have bought a ton of stuff from those guys. Their service is great, prices and part selection is pretty good too.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Richardl12
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Pkupman82
No, he's right I don't see it on the list... hmm that's weird. I would call them and ask if there is some kind of error in their listings. Also check out Bronco Graveyard's website, I have bought a ton of stuff from those guys. Their service is great, prices and part selection is pretty good too.
Thanks. I thought I was missing it. Ill check out that website.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:37 AM
newrider3
Elder User
Nvm, I was looking at inner bed sides.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:08 AM
auggieinks
Junior User
Rich, you should get under that truck and start writing down everything you see that you'll have to fix. Go over the inside(under the carpet,mats ,firewall and the bed,doors fenders etc-wheel wells also) then take that list and pick it apart. Find out what it'll cost you 4 the stuff you will need 2 fix everything. Remember 2 try to be thorough and ask questions if you don't know like you're doing now. There's plenty of people here more than willing to pass on their know how and good advice is a boon. Any rust will have to be cut out and another piece welded in it's place. Bondo should never be more than 1/16th of an inch thick. Yeah some use it as a filler to cover up major damage but that's only gonna create another problem down the road and there's no sense fixing anything twice(WASTE OF YOUR MONEY AND TIME). I'm not a pro myself but I ran a body shop for awhile and like the rest of the people on here have tinkered on my rides for many years so feel free to hit me up and hopefully I can help you along. By the way the frames on these trucks can usually be fixed with some cleaning and paint.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Richardl12
Freshman User
Originally Posted by auggieinks
Rich, you should get under that truck and start writing down everything you see that you'll have to fix. Go over the inside(under the carpet,mats ,firewall and the bed,doors fenders etc-wheel wells also) then take that list and pick it apart. Find out what it'll cost you 4 the stuff you will need 2 fix everything. Remember 2 try to be thorough and ask questions if you don't know like you're doing now. There's plenty of people here more than willing to pass on their know how and good advice is a boon. Any rust will have to be cut out and another piece welded in it's place. Bondo should never be more than 1/16th of an inch thick. Yeah some use it as a filler to cover up major damage but that's only gonna create another problem down the road and there's no sense fixing anything twice(WASTE OF YOUR MONEY AND TIME). I'm not a pro myself but I ran a body shop for awhile and like the rest of the people on here have tinkered on my rides for many years so feel free to hit me up and hopefully I can help you along. By the way the frames on these trucks can usually be fixed with some cleaning and paint.
This forum is great. I was really surprised how quickly I got a response to my post and how helpful everyone has been. So thank you to everyone here for sharing their knowledge with my stupid self. As for the actual truck, I do plan on checking it out to find all of the stuff that needs fixed or replaced. There is a problem though. Finding this truck so far as been like trying to find a needle in like five haystacks, but should know more about the location early next week. . And by the way do you think it would still be possible to fix the frame with cleaning and paint? I just ask because the truck is 25 years old and has spent it whole life in the salt covered roads of PA so I don't think this frame will be in good shape at all considering I have been told that it wasn't in the best of conditions when it was originally sold in '99. Thanks for any help and sorry for the huge post

Old 12-04-2009, 05:24 PM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the frame should be the last to go, but they don't use salt here (that i know of) you'll probably just have to look. maybe youll get lucky and it leaked really bad!

im using chassis saver on my bronco, it is identical to POR15, and I have been getting very good results.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:47 PM
auggieinks
Junior User
Rich, I know what you mean about this being a good forum. I get help each time i've asked and it helps. There seems to be an abundance of knowledgeable and good people here. As far as fix'n w/cleaning and paint I'd say it's very possible but I'm not familiar with how bad the cancer can get to the frame back there. Being out here in so.cal. I've rarely run across significant rust in anything other than 40 year old or older vehicles and that rust is usually all in the lower fender area's,also part of a floor pan at times. Lower doors,1/4's and at the bottom of the rear windows---especially on vinyl top stuff---. But hold out and wait to see the thing and then see if you can scrape away what you do see with a wire brush or wheel and see how bad the metal is fatigued(ate up). I hope you get lucky .

Quick Reply: 84 F150 Frame Question