General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 ford f250 platnium powerstroke???????

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 03:43 AM
Boonebird
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ford f250 platnium powerstroke???????

Ok guys I havent been on here in a while. I bought a chevy s10 2 years ago or less. Im sick of it. I went out looking for a full size truck possible diesel. Being honest I called a place that had a 2001 dodge mint 48000 miles. It was a cummins. It was sold. I was told about a shop mechanics 2001 ford f250 platnium powerstroke that is all suped up. New trany pistons whole bit. Here is what was replaced or done. I will get a longer list more detailed on friday.
Triple Disc Converter
Custom Computer Chip
200CC Injectors
Full Gauges
Twin High Pressure Oil Pumps
Airaid Intake System
Magnaflow 4" Exhaust System
Boost Fooler
Custom Fuel System

What kind of question should I be asking this guy when I go to test drive it. He says hes got 15k invested into it. Ok. What do you think fair market is. Great condition 123000 on it. What are your thoughts on a dodge? I am leary of there tranys. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:59 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
If it were me I'd stay well clear of the Platinum F250. I have a friend who has one, and they are really nice trucks. But with what this guy's done to I'd look at it like a time bomb that could go off and cost thousands of dollars any time.

Heavily modified trucks simply don't last as long before you start seeing major failures. When Ford designed that truck, they had no intention of it producing anywhere near as much power as that guy has it doing. Things WILL break, and they won't be cheap!

As for the Dodge, it could be a good truck for you. As you said, the transmission could be a trouble spot, but the engine should last awhile longer.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Old 11-26-2009, 06:56 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
what is he asking for the Platinum?

Old 11-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Boonebird
Freshman User
Im not sure what he is asking. I will find out on friday.

That is or was my main worry. I just want a truck that is higher off the ground than my s10. Bigger so if I got in a crash I wouldnt have to worry. I heard cummings is an awsome motor. I only looked at 3 trucks so far. I know a co worker works at a chevy dealership. He drives a cummins. He said the outter wraper is the major problem and if your not plowing snow there isnt much to worry about with the trany.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:02 PM
sandmanf250
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i didn't see egr delete or arp head studs mentioned in his updates.without those it is a time bomb.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by sandmanf250
i didn't see egr delete or arp head studs mentioned in his updates.without those it is a time bomb.
The 7.3L engine never had a cooled EGR system. Furthermore the head studs weren't a problem on this engine.

You're thinking the 6.0L PSD which didn't come out until 2003.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:59 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't think the plat. trim came out with the 7.3s? I thought that was more of a recent thing, plus I thought it was on the F150 as well.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:11 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
The platinum F250 was a special edition released in 2001 celebrating 1,000,000 SDs built.

09/20/2000 - The 2001 Platinum Edition Ford Super Duty F-250 .: News

Has NOTHING to do with the more modern '09+ F150 platinums. I have a friend who has one, it's a pretty nice truck. Here's what makes it different:

Originally Posted by FTE News
Two-tone leather front and rear seats with "Platinum Edition" logo
Floor Mats (front and rear) with "Platinum Edition" logo
Unique front center console with chrome clip
Color-keyed grille
Solid chromed bumper
Two-tone exterior paint colors of Mineral Gray/Silver Metallic
Color-keyed windshield visor
Color-keyed door handles and tailgate handle
Chrome tubular running boards with platinum-colored step pads
Unique platinum-colored Super Duty F-250 badging
Special Platinum Edition badging

Old 11-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Boonebird
Freshman User
Ok guys. What are your thoughts on duramax? Or should I say duracrack? Im now threwing them in the mix. The f250 is 16.5?

Old 11-28-2009, 11:42 AM
jasontrucks76
Senior User
Originally Posted by Boonebird
Ok guys. What are your thoughts on duramax? Or should I say duracrack? Im now threwing them in the mix. The f250 is 16.5?
I may get shot for this but..... I have a 2006 Duramax and a 2006 F-250 so some good comparison value....
I would not count out the Duramax as long as your eyes are wide open as to what you want. The Duramax/Allison is a GREAT combo, however the overall truck is lacking a bit IMO. I like the overall truck in the Fords much better.

My wife now uses the Chevy to tow her horse trailer and I pulled our camper with it for several thousand miles without a single problem. The power is great and the tranny is very solid. I passed everything on the road with the Duramax! The ride is more reformed than the other two big trucks with the IFS but that has some draw back for me. I feel it to be the week point of the truck.
I also am not nearly as comfortable in the Chevy as I am in the Ford. I am 6'3" 270# and feel MUCH more comfortable in my F-250.

The Ford feels more solid to me from an overall truck assessment. The 6.0 has been a good engine for me but as you can see there are a few mods that I feel are very important to do to keep it this way.
If you are looking into a 6.0 I would spend some time in that fourm and research some of the known issues and see if you are comfortable with a few of the items that are going to need to be done regularly. MAINTENANCE is key!

Also you could check out the Diesel place and read up on the Chevy product to get familiar with the Duramax and see if you are comfortable with some of the more known issues with there product.

Bottom line is they all break sooner or later and knowledge is key to getting them back on the road as quickly and cheaply as possible. I have zero input for you on the Dodge product as I have never owned one.... Im sure someone here will be able to chime in on them.

If it were me I would get my butt in each of them for a good test drive and read through the forums and make you decision from there.

You diddnt say..... Are you going to be towing or hauling quite a bit ? What kind of loads do you have to need the Diesel?

Take care and good luck!

JT.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Boonebird
Freshman User
No load I dont haul. I used to have a 25 boat. Thats gone. I test drove the 2500 dodge with cummings motor. I was beyond impressed with that motor.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:00 PM
jasontrucks76
Senior User
The added cost of the Diesel and maintenance would shy me away from the diesel trucks if I did not need one to tow/haul with. If you just want one to have one thats cool but you are going to spend more to drive one for sure.

Good luck with your purchase!

Old 11-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
200cc sticks in a 7.3? that sounds like you may have trouble towing a jet ski or even a dirt bike..... sounds like it would be a good prodject but i would look for alot less mods on a truck i wanted to be reliable. cummins, psd or duramax. with high hp you loose drivability. alot of people want crazy hp spend alot getting it to find out they cant do anything with the truck once they have it. then they sell it

Old 11-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Boonebird
Freshman User
Im really not sure what to do. Im sick of my s10 zr2. Today here in connecticut it was windy 40 mph gusts. My truck was all over the place. Im sure people thought I was drunk. I cant stand it. I loved my 97 f350 with the 7.3 till I blew the trany. I so far test drove a pair of 01 dodge 2500 with cummins. One was one the high way. What a truck. all I heard was a fain whistle. Not sure why people say there the loudest diesels. Because that was sweet. One buddy hes a chevy mechanic said I should go 2500 silverado gas jobber. One thing in the back of my mind. Who stuck there hands out for your and my money? Ford didnt to the best of my knowledge. All the help you can give me would be great. That fords if I didnt state before is 16,500. I will get a full list for you guys on monday. Im not towing anything. I like big trucks being high off the ground. My two jobs are less than 14 miles round trip from my house. Job 1 is 6.4 miles round trip every day the other is 14 miles round trip 5 days a week. Is having a diesel for that as a comuting truck a bad idea? I love big fearing an acident I have a good friend sent me picks of his s10 when a car came in the wrong lane. I am good. Plus that truck drives like a honda civic with a sail on its hoof in rain snow sleet wind and when its down right nice out. Let me know what I should look at. Thanks Will L.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What I meant was more of a warning. Most diesels are not going to get you 20mpg. They are also not going to like short runs less that 20miles or at least 30mins drive time. A diesel might sould great but a gasser would fit your needs. If you wants out weight you needs then get a diesel. Unless you are very familiar with modifications on a diesel I would try to get something stock. It will be a lot less head ache. Ford, chevy and dodge all have some sort of a warranty history report for their vehicles. Cjheck it for repairs and problems etc. Educate you self on the trucks in you price range and the goods and bads. All trucks have them. As far as bail outs go anything used is already a done deal and dodge and chevy don't benifit. Now if your buying new I would voice my opinion loudly. I'd either get a ford or another american car like toyota, honda or nissan. I'd pass on the govenment issues.

Quick Reply: 2001 ford f250 platnium powerstroke???????