6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

got my new air charge cooler today

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 08:56 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
got my new air charge cooler today

I got my new air charge cooler today. No fuss no arguing. Great service from Gene Evans Ford in Union City Ga. I took them the truck and a copy of the TSB with a hand written note that my truck did this in the rain and also stumbled and stuttered when it made the white smoke. By the time i got home from the golf course the truck was ready and I didn't even have to pay the $100 like I did when the 01 got warranty work. Life is good. Now, i have to wait til i'm on the highway in the rain to see if it cured the problem.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:39 PM
ATC_250SX
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not that you want it to act up But, please do post a reply, Im currious, as I have replaced a few under the TSB and havent seemed to have any input from the customers. Im just currious if it fixes it.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:54 AM
ctownson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is being installed next Wednesday; will update afterward also.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:22 AM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had mine done over the summer. It fixed the problem with mine. No more sputters, studders, shutters, or white smoke. It sure seems stupid to have a $50,000 truck that you can't drive in the rain.....

Old 11-20-2009, 08:02 AM
ZeroOne
Junior User
Originally Posted by ATC_250SX
Not that you want it to act up But, please do post a reply, Im currious, as I have replaced a few under the TSB and havent seemed to have any input from the customers. Im just currious if it fixes it.
Had mine done and drove around in the last nor'easter (Ida leftovers). Didn't have any problem. I do notice that less boost makes it to the manifold (where the sensor is) and the turbos have more to push against. (Spin up slower, require more exhaust flow.)

I was wondering if you have noticed any difference when looking into the inlet or the outlet on the new one? The tube diameters, fin spacing / density, and core area size are all the same. The difference must be in the end tanks somewhere. Haven't taken mine off to peek inside yet.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:57 AM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
I agree ZeroOne, seems like the boost is a little slower and MPG's dropped a little after the CAC change. Did fix the problem though. I'm thinking about going with a Banks CAC. I wonder if I'd get the best of both worlds with the Banks CAC, or will the original problem reappear? Anyone out there with the Banks CAC having the white smoke/sputter issue in the rain?

Old 11-20-2009, 04:10 PM
jlalanas
More Turbo
Had mine done early in the summer. The systems of he stuttering/smoking are much less but stil lhappens from time to time. Im guessing that it could be the EGR which I've also read could relate to this issue. No comment on the spool up time and didn't really notice any real change in MPG.

On another note, since I had the CAC replaced I developed a crack in the "Y" pipe (as the dealer calls it. And the truck sounds like a teapot at boil when the turbo hits boost. Not sure one has anything to do with the other.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:30 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by R-T0r21on
I agree ZeroOne, seems like the boost is a little slower and MPG's dropped a little after the CAC change. Did fix the problem though. I'm thinking about going with a Banks CAC. I wonder if I'd get the best of both worlds with the Banks CAC, or will the original problem reappear? Anyone out there with the Banks CAC having the white smoke/sputter issue in the rain?

I know a few that have the banks cac, no reported problems at all. seem to help with the response too.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:14 PM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Originally Posted by senix
I know a few that have the banks cac, no reported problems at all. seem to help with the response too.

Thanks senix. That's the kind of info. I'm looking for. Anyone else? Money is always an issue and I want to try to make sure that what I spend my hard earned cash on is a good investment.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:18 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a new CAC installed a few months ago and I can still make the stutter and smoke but I have to be heavily loaded and pushing the motor hard. It has to be raining and I can live with it.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:35 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
If mony is an issue the Banks unit is like 1150 hard earned american dollars. That's pricey. Not saying I wouldn't do it but if I have to be heavily loaded in pouring rain to have the problem i might just save my money for something important like beer. My plan B is in the rain to floor it every 30 minutes or so and suck the water out so that if I really need the power I'll have it.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:29 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Now your speaking my language Stanley. Beer is important to some of us and I always tell folks to drive the 6.4 like you stole it.

It would be a LOT of fun to throw lots of money into the Banks CAC, Intake, and the tuner or go Spartan delete but I don't know if I ever will. I flipped 112K this week and the truck makes me smile every day. If I get the itch to mess with it maybe I'll just grab a cold one instead!

Old 11-21-2009, 06:08 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Stanley, that is the bottom line! You too Ruschejj, I tell everyone drive it hard and it will do better.

Ever have two of them side by side, one driven hard and one that is for groceries? They sound and act differently..for a reason.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Greyman
Senior User
Well I'm sure happy I don't have this problem as I live in Washington, if mine did this in the rain I wouldn't be driving it until July.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:41 PM
ATC_250SX
Posting Guru
The Y pipe, Or UP Pipes on a 6.4, we have seen a handfull of them leaking at the bellows, or flex joints, But no nearly as many as with the 6.0 up pipes, They are a nightmare to change on a 6.4 The tourque sequence is unique, and the tranny is always in the way.

Quick Reply: got my new air charge cooler today