Sponsored by: Moser

Looking for an A/C system

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:29 PM
jbk
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Add on Air Cond.

I have this unit in my 79 shortbed 4x4 - at the time I purchased it from a different company that I think went out of business but this company has taken over the design. My truck was non-air conditioned when I purchased it used in 1980, in about 1982 I installed this system, mine is still the R12 type. The system is great and will freeze you if you turn it down low enough. It does not tap into any of your vents but recycles the inside cab air to cool and dehumidify it. It's been a long time but if I remember right I think I had to drill two holes thru my firewall and one thru the floor for the drain. Also had to cut for the vents in the dash (all no big deal) The system was totally complete-compresser, brackets, pulleys, etc. The only thing I had to do was get my local mechanic to charge the system for me since I have no experience it that. The only things I have had to do to date are replace the idler for the compresser belt, replace the fan motor (inside blower), and this past year I did have to have a small amout of freon added, after all these years I think I have a seal on the compresser starting to leak very little. Again this is a great system, I now wish mine was the new R134, I checked about changing over but think this is to much hassel. If mine does ever go up I think I would purchase this kit to replace it since it should be a simple job. I sure don't plan on getting rid of my truck!!

Old 10-26-2009, 08:36 PM
TheDesertRat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is great news to hear. I will definitely have to look seriously at this swap. How easy was the work up in the engine compartment? Also, you had to yank out the dash to do the install right? Any pics would be great as well.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:45 PM
DaytonaTunnel
Tuned
It looks like they come out in the stock locations. The dashes do just unbolt, a bonus IMO. I've delt with a lot of different trucks that have them welded in. Finding a donor a/c dash should be fairly easy. I am sure there is just flexible ducting that connects the vents, just like a factory a/c set up.

I like the fact that it doesn't use the 'suitcase' in the engine compartment, way easier to fit a 460 in there . I also think the engine compartment looks much cleaner w/o the 'suitcase'. It looks fairly well tucked away with the dash installed, another plus. My guess is it's probably 'adequate', but not going to freeze you out on a 100* day.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they use for controllers......

Old 10-26-2009, 08:51 PM
DaytonaTunnel
Tuned
Thanks for posting up some real world results JBK !!!! I'm guessing it only has a recirc, no fresh air in ? Not a big deal, as I use the 'max' on the Fairlane almost exclusively. You mentioned you had to replace an idler, was it hard to get ? Does it use the stock fan switch ? How about the fan you replaced, a stock non a/c fan or was it thier fan ? What engine do you have ? Sorry for all the questions, but your experience is unvaluable to me ordering this up for my project truck.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:00 PM
jbk
Cross-Country
Air Install

The engine compartment work on this unit was a breeze. Everything was very straight forward and complete. It's all bolt on, I did have to take off the original crankshaft pulley, they furnished a new one with the extra grove for an additional belt. The hardest part I had was mounting the condenser in front of the radiator, on my truck I installed a super duty radiator and I didn't have much room between the radiator and the grill but it worked. It's been a long time since I installed it and don't have any pictures, could take some interior pic's but would look just like the company sent. Taking the dash apart is no big deal, if I remember you have a roll of screws on top toward the windshield just to the far side of the dash top cover, take these out and a few more and the top will come off. I don't think I took the front of the dash out as it would lean forward enough to get the unit in. I think I did have to drop the steering column down to seat level. Just be careful cutting your vent holes and tape everything good so you don't scratch the dash. The instructions were very good. My unit had a hot wire to wire up, ground wire, the rest were with the kit and very little wire work. Almost looks factory once installed except by the middle vent you have two *****, one for fan speed and one for temp.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:01 PM
TheDesertRat
Senior User
I sent the company an e-mail asking a few questions and also provided a link to this conversation to hopefully lure somebody from the company in. I checked their parts page and it looks as if they provide switches and switch plates for mounting somewhere on the dash. I asked them though the following:

1. Can their system use the stock A/C controls that came in an A/C equipped truck from Ford instead of their switches?

2. Can the Ford truck system use lower vent outlets instead of cutting the dash and installing vents similar to a stock A/C setup. I noticed on their site that they have add on vents that you can attach below the dash.

I'd love to see somebody from their company come in and post up some pics of a conversion. I read their instructions again and they are pretty generic. They probably make more sense when you are actually in the middle of the project though. I also wonder what options you have on parts. It seems they have several different condensers, driers, and compressors I would think since this is an add on, you could choose the best of breed for each part.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:03 PM
TheDesertRat
Senior User
JBK, I'd like to see how your vents and controls came out if you get a chance. Also, did I read right on the instructions that you disable your existing heater system? I couldn't tell from their site if this system is the in dash or the under dash. It seems on the in dash instructions you remove your old heating system. On the under dash system you retain your existing heater.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:14 PM
jbk
Cross-Country
Air Install

Just saw some of the other questions after my last post. Yes the unit only recycles the inside air. The idler pulley turned out to be a regular stock idler that would a truck with the factory unit (NAPA) had it in stock. I ordered the 3 speed replacement fan off the internet by the motor number, was about $40. My original fan never did run just right on high but does great now. I have the 351 M engine in the truck, again everything was an easy bolt on. The unit has it's own switches (two) next to the center vent, they may have change that as I don't see that in their picture on their web site. One switch for fan (3 speed) one for temp.
Yes my unit could make you put on a light jacket in 100 degree temps, just remember I have the good old R12 unit. I have always heard the R134 doesn't cool as well.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:24 PM
jbk
Cross-Country
Air

I did not have to disable anything. Everything fits very neatly behind the dash and out of sight. You do not have to remove anything from the original truck. The only problem I see is I dread it if I ever have to replace my heater core as I would have to either remove the in-dash part of the unit or disable it and swing it up. Also not sure how much trouble it would be to replace the heater fan if it ever bites the dust, the air cond. unit has it's own fan. Again my unit is about a 1982 unit but looks just like the one on their link, I don't know if they have changed anything I can't see by their pic's.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:28 PM
TheDesertRat
Senior User
Sounds like if I go this route I should do my heater core and maybe stock fan before I seal them in with this unit. I also take it that there are other outlets for the right and left vents that you cannot see on their pictures. I probably won't be able to hook up a driver side vent due to my tach but I would assume I can just seal off that vent outlet somewhere.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:39 PM
DaytonaTunnel
Tuned
Again we thank you for taking taking the time to post up JBK. How do you go from dash to floor or defrost, just like stock ? The stock non a/c truck heater control just has off/heat/defog. You must of had to change something inside the heater duct work ?

Old 10-26-2009, 09:43 PM
TheDesertRat
Senior User
Looks like the two systems are entirely separate. The new A/C system has hoses that vent the cold air from that enclosed system to the new vents. The old heater and defroster must stay intact and don't use any of the new system at all I would assume. It would be nice to swap in a stock A/C controller and then splice in the new A/C but that may be more of a hassle than it is worth. I'm liking this idea more and more though and thanks JBK again as well. By the way DaytonaTunnel, the F150 I have purchased has a 460 dropped into it but no smog at all. I am probably going to have to put all the smog parts back on that a 460 would have had in Cali at the time. Is yours stock by chance and do you have any pics of the stock 460 air cleaner and vacuum lines at all perhaps? I may be headed shortly to the junkyard to find some 460 parts as the PO swapped in an Edelbrock carb and intake along with headers but now there is no smog parts at all.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:06 PM
jbk
Cross-Country
Air

Keep in mind these are completely separate from the stock heater. The unit only vents out of the dash vents, not the defrost vents. This unit has nothing to do with the factory heat or original air if your truck was so equiped and not now working. I don't think you could tap into an existing system's controls. I see no way around cutting your dash for the center vents as the unit when mounted is tight with the front of the dash, on each side you might be able to route the vents to mount under the dash without cutting it. On the passenger side it would be tight because the unit fan takes up most of the room on that side. The air to the side vents is routed thru flex hose. The center hole of the unit mounts tight with the dash and the vent just pops in place.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:32 PM
wetumka_ok
New User
AC System

I have a factory / dealer under dash complete A/C system compressor, condenser under dash unit all necessary hoses dryer and fe engine block mount for compressor, not sure might have to change mount for small block, is currently in a 1971 Ranger, I don't have any idea of what it would be worth call me (918)281-9200 I live in Oklahoma, some of this stuff i'd imagine to be heavy and expensive to ship!

I turned on A/C compressor clutch engaged still blew cold!

Old 10-27-2009, 05:57 AM
Nostalgic
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will answer any questions as well as explain the a/c. I understand the website is a bit vague, since you guys brought it to our attention we will get that fixed.
As for the a/c kit it does not require the full removal of the dash. The passenger side of the dash does have to be pulled out about three to five inches to fit the unit behind it and on top of the heater box. The hoses will exit right above the heater box just like the factory hoses did. The vents have to be cut into the dash, we provide templates. The controls are two little *****, that can be hidden or mounted under the dashboard. If the heater is removed and replaced with a heat air and defrost system the factory (heater or heat & a/c) controls can be used. The heat /ac system can use any of the vents we offer (or keep it original looking as the a/c only), the a/c only kit has to have the vent holes cut into the dash. As for under the hood. The compressor will normally mount on the driver side. The condenser and drier can be mounted in front of the radiator, or you can mount the drier on the inner fenderwell. The hoses do not come pre-crimped so they can be routed however it is prefferred. When the system is all installed it will look factory and blow as cold as 32 degrees out of the vents, normal temperature is 35-45 degrees. Please ask any questions I will answer them as specifically as I can. I apologize for not having more pictures, the truck we used for our mock up didnt have a front end or an engine.

Quick Reply: Looking for an A/C system